Do You Think “Higher Education “Is All That??

by minimus 89 Replies latest jw friends

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

All of the richest people I know and have known never went to college. Millionaires by working hard and investing wisely.

caves ...

Obviously, you have never gone (never went?) to college based upon your comments and sentence structure.

But I do agree, that in your hood, there can be a lot of pimps who are millionaires. Them thick gold chains ain't free.

Rub a Dub

• LV101
    LV101

Min - you are spot on re/very difficult (actually impossible with the left rhetoric starting in elementary/primary school now) for a student to challenge any professor today. Child development-brainwashing 101. You don't wanna know how liberal Lewis & Clark was even 90s (forever) when member of family attended - unreal. Very expensive education - one very serious liberal college and today it's not unique. I think many non-religious folks are considering these religious-oriented colleges. With the student loan crisis these colleges keep raising their tuition/costs, instructors have easy pay increases (minimal work - some very minimal work) - what difference does it make because the handout game continues. It's a cash cow circus.

• Cadellin
    Cadellin
    instructors have easy pay increases (minimal work - some very minimal work)

Um...Might want to check your facts there. As a faculty member at a public state university myself, I can tell you that is absolutely not true. Most faculty I know, including myself, work their asses off. I am on this forum now taking a quick break from grading (and it's Sat. afternoon. That's what I do on my weekends). I'm lucky enough to be tenure-track and do have a good salary. But much of the teaching is done by adjuncts who are paid very low wages. Why do they do it? Because they really love their fields, they love teaching, and have a passion for helping others (Take that, Sanderson!)

• caves
    caves

@rubadub

'Obviously, you have never gone (never went?) to college based upon your comments and sentence structure.'

LOL, Thats why I came to this forum , for my sentance structure and spelin and edumacation. Think what yuo wnt.

I have a 4.0 Gpa btw. who cares If yuo lick the Way My type hera. lmfao

• Holden Caufield
    Holden Caufield

College taught me to be open minded.

• NoAbuse
    NoAbuse

LV101 said: "You don't wanna know how liberal Lewis & Clark was even 90s (forever) when member of family attended - unreal. Very expensive education - one very serious liberal college and today it's not unique."

Could someone kindly translate this gibberish into English? Thank You.

• jp1692
    jp1692

Reading through the comments on this thread has been quite "educational."

As a professional educator*, I have a few questions for those of you that have a skeptical and/or negative view of higher education:

• What do you think a good, basic, foundational education should include?
    • What specific subjects, skills and content knowledge should be included? In other words, what exactly should young people know and be able to do upon completion of their basic education?
    • Should this basic education be compulsory?
    • At what age should students finish or be able to opt-out?

Thanks in advance.

jp

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

* Full Disclosure: I have been an educator in the United States for over 20 years. During that time I have taught every grade 1st - 12th, both primary and secondary levels. Over the years, I have taught many different subjects. My specialty now is teaching the sciences at the secondary level (aka "High School" in the US): Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Earth Sciences, and Astronomy.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Where would humanity be without the higher level of knowledge and the dispersion of that knowledge ?

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

jp1692 ...

Thank you for your full disclosure. We need more of that here.

One of my dual majors was mathematics as we have a reasonable comprehension of the concepts based upon your comments and education. Your teaching must be very rewarding yet extremely challenging at the primary and secondary levels.

Be good.

Rub a Dub

• LV101
    LV101

NoAbuse -- here's an idea: Check out your local community college for course on gibberish.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit