Do You Think “Higher Education “Is All That??

by minimus 89 Replies latest jw friends

• hoser
    hoser

I’m a businessman with no formal business education. I barely made it through high school. I hire the people I need to do the things I don’t have the skills or time to do.

Just like all groups of people there are good and bad within the group. One contractor I hire has a mechanical engineering and a computer science degree. He has a great work ethic and goes above and beyond to make sure my production levels and quality remain exceptional.

On the other hand I have to deal with some people with a degree that are absolutely useless in their jobs. I’ve phoned their boss and told them never to send that person again. These types seem to hide their incompetence behind the fact that they spent 4 years in university. I guess for them a university degree helps them because they have that piece of paper to get their foot in the door.

• jws
    jws

For my field, computer programming, I learned basically everything I learned from school in high school. College taught me a couple of minor things that I went, "oh, you can do that too in the language". And I learned ANOTHER assembly language - something that I had already taught myself using 2 other CPUs.

Of course, I've taken several courses through the years to keep up on new technologies too.

College did help in other ways though. Barely hanging on to JWs at the time, it exposed me to new people, new ideas, lots of clubs and things to get you thinking in a way that a controlling cult didn't want me to explore. Plus other requirements other than my field.

I remember philosophy being a course and I don't remember whether it was an elective or required. I don't know that I was particularly excited about it. But after it started, I found it extremely interesting. The study of the mind and motivations and how people think. Why we do what we do and as a species, we often aren't so different from individual to individual. If I had explored that, there may be several career opportunities. As it is, I think stopping to consider people and how they think makes me a better program designer. What are you as a user most likely to want to see the most, where should I put that info on a screen/report? Part of that's how you do your job, but other things are psychology. Colors, etc.

Some things I never used. It was good to have general knowledge of chemistry. But I've NEVER sat down to write chemical formulas. The closest I've gotten is following a food recipe.

So there was the good, the bad, the useless, and the stuff I already knew. But I'm glad for the experience.

It makes a difference how smart you are to begin with as well. I was extremely good at programming. I placed in national competitions in high school. Every programming team contest I was in with other schools, we won and I wrote MOST of the programs. I'm in MENSA.

I've seen people hired at my old company who have had bachelors and masters degrees, but were horrible programmers. Their stuff was bulky, slow, took the long way around to solve problems. They just weren't competent. So schooling doesn't always fix what a mind isn't meant to do in the first place.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

further education is "a pyramid scheme" ?????

Hmmmm that's an interesting thought

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

@LongHairGal:

All in all, I do still have a high regard for higher education - but I’m sorry for what has happened to the whole thing!

I agree. That gets lost in the fray. If I criticize these special “studies” programs, it’s not an attempt to disparage college education in general.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

jws ...

I am really fascinated by your discussion. Thank you for sharing your experience.

There are people like yourself that simply are more intelligent than those around you. Some have a particular skill at a very young age whereby they master advanced mathematics, play the piano, code or other things that most people struggle to do well no matter how much education they receive. Many start college right after high school, at about 18 years of age. But then there are the few that graduate from high school at 14, 15 or 16. Basically, there is nothing left for them to learn in the environment they are in, such as yourself.

I had a dual major as an undergraduate in college and one of them was mathematics. I had often heard that calculus is useless in the real world (probably by people who don't understand it). But nonetheless, I found that and the more advanced courses fascinating and, well, not that difficult from a studying time perspective.

Real world usage: My wife works as a manager for a mid-sized (250 people) manufacturing company. She has oversight of the purchasing and warehousing functions. There is the constant struggle of knowing how much to buy to keep inventory levels low (and the finance department happy) compared to maintaining higher inventory levels (and keep the marketing and sales departments happy). It's a traditional struggle that most companies face and there are thousands of books and research papers devoted to this subject.

Anyway, her math is not the best but I spent a couple of evenings with her to learn how to determine the most effective purchasing strategies using calculus. Basically, she just had to come up with all of the estimated costs for each step in the process. There is a cost to place a purchase order, a cost to coordinate the logistics in the receipt of the shipment, a cost to receive the product in the warehouse, a cost to move the product to the proper bin, etc etc etc etc. About a dozen that she described.

Once she came up with her estimates, it was simply a matter of creating a relatively simple formula using each item listed which visually creates a curve. Then, the calculus part came into play. We just used the formula, took the first derivative (Y/X) , found where the slope of the curve was equal to zero (the minimum point) and that gave a good starting point as to how often to order based upon the quantities required in some period of time.

She gives a lot of Powerpoint presentation throughout the year to the other managers and staff, but this one scored her a lot of points. It was even mentioned by the general manager in her performance review at the end of the year.

jws, I know that some minimize advanced education here but if I had it to do all over again, I would do it in a minute.

I just wish I had the smarts to be in MENSA like you. But then, each person has his own skills and aptitudes.

Rub a Dub

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

I think a good work ethic is all that.

Higher education is beyond some people for many reasons, working hard we can all do and only good comes from it.

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

I haven't read through the entire thread so maybe someone else has made a similar comment...

If you are asking, is Uni essential to become wealthy and successful and having fulfilment in life, then no, it's not all that.

However, it would have been nice to have been allowed to make the choice and have parents that nurtured dreams and ambitions, because some ambitions can only grow by being formally trained.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

I am sure the no university mantra is partly to blame for the loss of my son. He was on a gifted track but good old dad ( pimo) and mom ( pimi) had to hold the line. That discouraged him in school and he found other outlets. We still keep track of him and do not shun, he IS ours

• caves
    caves

All of the richest people I know and have known never went to college. Millionaires by working hard and investing wisely. They got their (un-formal) education and learned other languages ect, on the way up the money ladder. I think its worth it for very few things or rather specific things that are few. Waste of money. You can learn just as much if not more if one is disciplined and focused.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

If you are smart academically, then higher education is an absolute plus, or in some cases, a necessity. If you want to be a doctor, pharmacist, CPA, lawyer, CEO, or other position, trying to do it without higher education will be difficult if not impossible.

If you have some specific skill or trade such as a plumber, electrician, carpenter, or other trade, you can have your own business, no higher education, and still make a ton of money.

But if you want to be a doctor or pharmacist, try to do it without higher education in the US. Maybe you could bluff your way through in a third world country.

Rub a Dub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit