Do You Think “Higher Education “Is All That??

by minimus 89 Replies latest jw friends

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

That is the scheme part. Someone with no work record but papers is a big gamble.

road to nowhere ...

It's a big gamble for who, the student or the company? What are you talking about?

Rub a Dub

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

The other side of recruiting on campus is stealing people from other companies .

road to nowhere ...

Daaaaaahhhh. Ahhhhhhhh, yea.

I'll type this slowly so you can understand.

Companies actually do recruit on campus, use on-line recruiting sites and social networking sites such as Linkedin and Facebook.

Companies need people. We have this strange thing here in the US called a free market society. You can pick and choose who you wish to work for.

I don't really understand how you compare recruiting to stealing?

If 10 companies go to an auction and buy corn from farmers, are the companies stealing corn? Aren't they simply using their best judgement to buy the best corn at the best price?

Many of the people graduating with a degree have not had full time jobs or at least nothing related to their planned careers. I don't know how you relate this to stealing something. Companies are simply buying corn, or should I say, employees. That's the way life works here.

People have the freedom to move to a company that compensates them in whatever way is in their best interest.

Wow, we don't live in North Korea.

Rub a Dub

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Someone said

JWs and ex JWs are least qualified to answer this.”

Thats probably true but I do know it’s wrong to stop bright people doing it if they want

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

I went to a great university. Got a graduate degree in computer science. Great school. Worked my ass off to pay for it without school loans. I had some help from scholarships, but the majority of the tuition was paid for by hard labor. I graduated with no debt.

This was obviously beneficial. I went through a program that required a high level of logical thinking and perseverance.

But the “studies” programs seem to be the exact opposite. A cesspit of subjectivity mixed with a diaper full mental diarrhea, vanity, victim mentality, emotional pleading, and social cancer.

• Simon
    Simon
    With all of your knowledge and insight, I can't believe what you are writing here, that further education is "a pyramid scheme" ?????

I call it a pyramid scheme because those who have already signed up for it and spent money on degrees feel determined to insist on the value of degrees, to keep others paying into the system that they did - it's the only way their "investment" is actually worth anything, because when the world wakes up to the fact that degrees are worthless and have little bearing in employee performance (as studies done by the likes of Google have shown) then the money they spent was wasted.

So it is perpetuated. Same with people who donate to their alma-mater, they do it to keep it prestigious because that prestige benefits them.

Notice that none of this has anything todo with what education should be about - wether or not it educates people.

You see the macro education issues play out at a micro level, especially in IT.

People want those with skills. But how do you know if they have skills or not? You have a system of certification. You trust someone else's judgement to only give them a badge if they have the skills.

It works for the first 6 months. Then it becomes a money making scheme - people can't get a job without the special badge, so they pay to get them. The actual skills the certs represent become devalued because the company doing the certifying realizes that there is good money to be had by just selling them and people's intent becomes to get the cert, not to actually learn the subject.

So you end up with "certified", but totally inept, people.

The only difference with the education system is the sums of money are massively more and it's tax-payer funded.

Higher education was valuable when it was rare, when everyone and his dog has a degree, they become worthless yet they cost more and more - the cost inflation is one of the highest of any product or service, and they are always demanding more money.

I saw a stat this morning, the one of the largest groups of people who put their kids into private school are public school teachers. So are they really that low paid, and do they really believe in the system that pays them?

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/higher-education-is-a-gia_b_7438866

https://www.mic.com/articles/11235/my-60-000-ivy-league-degree-was-just-a-pyramid-scheme

http://professorconfess.blogspot.com/2015/08/higher-education-as-ponzi-scheme.html

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Rub

I mean stealing in the way some companies look and recruit employees who were maybe first recruited on campus. They take the ones who have a proven work record. It is a sad fact that any loyalty of a company to employees is long gone so I dont blame people for moving.

As for typing slowly; I test at 96th percentile so have good comprehension. In my career I held my own with engineers. I stand by my remark about educated fools. Agree with Simon

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

As for typing slowly; I test at 96th percentile so have good comprehension.

road to nowhere ...

If you're in the top 96th percentile of something ... well ... if I say I am in the top 98% percentile of a*holes, then I guess you are better than me since I am at 98% ???

If you present statistics with no baseline you might as well bend over and pee on your shoes.

Rub a Dub

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

For a while, I taught as an adjunct professor for undergrad CS degrees. It was actually a great time. The college I worked for had great merit-based standards, and not a lot of fluff around the degree.

Then, it changed. I was there watching it as it happened. The college started to take more government money. It seemed like anyone could enroll with a combination of government backed loans or loose government grants. Financing the investment of an education really wasn’t a problem, but I started to notice a different ... caliber ... of student showing up. These were students that, in my opinion shouldn’t have been there. They had no propensity for learning, but they really wanted the degree, and it had been advertised to them as the proper gateway to prosperity. The government was there to help them on their way. A big break.

You see, the government money came with strings attached. The money required the college to ease up on entrance exams and “give everyone a second chance”. Those entrance exams continued to ease up all the way to the end, and by that time the only requirement to pass the exam was to produce your name on the top. Less intelligent, less determined people started filling the seats, devoid of any needed baseline skills.

But there was more! The government money came with the added requirement that the attrition rate had to stay low, below some arbitrary percentage the central planners thought reasonable.

Something had to give. The curriculum began to slip. Professional books were swapped for custom books. Skills were brushed aside and downplayed, assignments dumbed down. And all the change was costly... prices rose with the demand.

But that only goes so far. The cycle continued, and so teachers were eventually pressured ( in subtle ways ) to let certain grades slide. The accreditation was smoke and mirrors, tied more to procedure than assuring the institution was providing a good education. The agencies that accredited the college also were approved by the government, with vested interest in keeping it all going.

I was an adjunct, a contract professor. I remember being asked to let a student supply extra work to move his grade from a 59 F to a 60 D. I agreed and met with the student on three separate additional occasions, giving what I honestly felt were assignments that, if completely correctly, would demonstrate a fundamental ability of skill. He couldn’t do any of them. At all. So, as requested, I averaged those grades into the overall grade and submitted the final grade of 57 F. The admin was pissed, since they had to hit their government based quotas, and I threw a pipe bomb into their plans. I wasn’t invited back until the admin had cycled out a few times. I refused the job. I taught for fun. The extra pay was not necessary. I saw the handwriting on the wall.

It all came to an end eventually when nobody wanted to hire their graduates. Their product was crap. The government got suspicious, seized documents and investigated. When it was clear to them the college was participating in some fraudulent activities ( and some non-fraudulent, but really forking shady ), they cut the college off from government funds. The college declared bankruptcy the following week.

Maybe you can figure out which institution I am talking about.

But here’s the thing - they were stuck between a rock and a hard place. They wanted this money, but had to accept contradictory requirements. Don’t flunk people, but also accept students that have a very high probability of flunking, and accept a lot of them. But also produce capable graduates.

Universities have the same issue, I believe. EXCEPT, I think they figured a way around it. Instead of biting the bullet and flunking people or seriously dumbing down the curriculum, they have created different programs - stuff like gender studies, or women studies, or whatever-studies. These are programs where the naturally unintelligent can pour all their inborn irrationality. These are the programs where the insanity of postmodernism can have its renaissance, peppered with a mob mentality of which even a Jerry Springer audience could be proud. When the mouth breathers graduate, no worries. You can either be reabsorbed back into the ever growing malignant “studies” cancer, or you can go into the real world and seek employment at one of the many diversity and inclusion departments.

But now the cancer is growing too large. These “studies” departments are spilling over into the hard sciences in areas.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

MEAN MR MUSTARD:

Thanks for the insider’s view and telling it like it is. A lot of people won’t like you for revealing this..There’s got to be a reason for some of what I have seen. You named it. “Less intelligent, less determined people accepted..devoid of baseline skills.” Well, I guess that explains the appalling bad grammar I see from college graduates.

It also gives a well deserved black eye to those ‘special studies’ you mention! Who could possibly be impressed with somebody who studied these no-brainer fluff courses? 🙄..I’d laugh.

All in all, I do still have a high regard for higher education - but I’m sorry for what has happened to the whole thing!

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

You arr wrong. A degree helps you making progress in life. For you and your family. You can stay balanced. No need for worry when you have the right focus.

G.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit