Do You Think “Higher Education “Is All That??

by minimus 89 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

As Jehovah’s Witnesses, we were regularly told how awful a college education is. I’m no longer associated with the religion but I am not so pro university. It’s not because I think you are better off without a degree. Colleges have become so liberal in their thinking that it’s worrisome to me. I wish they would just stick to giving a helpful education and stop trying to be social justice warriors.

• 08out
    08out

I do wish they could do something to stop the professors from giving thier personal opinions and just teach . College is not for everyone ,but a college education is required for certain jobs . No one should stop someone from going after a degree if that's what they want to do with thier life.And they shouldn't have to hear some professors political opinions as they do it

• minimus
    minimus

O80ut , spot on!!!

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Why? As witnesses we engaged in a H2H work where we heard all kinds of personal thoughts and we simply (mostly) ignored whatever the householder said.

I suggest that you could do the same thing whenever someone expresses an opinion that you disagree with.

However, if you have (and I hope you have) enrolled in a critical thinking study unit, you could always practise your critical thinking skills and analyse his/her arguments and engage him/her in a discussion.

Learn from your JW experience.

• minimus
    minimus

Very difficult for a student to challenge the professor

• Half banana
    Half banana

JWs and ex JWs are least qualified to answer this.

If though you are studying at university level then the opinions of the tutors would come under the same scrutiny that you would give to the evidence for your subject. To challenge the tutors is welcomed.

The contrast of years of reading Watchtower drivel, which is written only to enhance the power of the leadership and is unsupported by any evidence whatsoever, is at the greatest possible distance from what is expected at university. The Bible of course is not "evidence", just a record of the cultural beliefs of earlier peoples.

After wasting my youth in the cult it was truly a pleasure to study in the Open University and then at Oxford University in adult learning. For me it was like finding solid ground to walk on. You very soon get the hang of not being permitted to write anything for which there is no evidence.

Depending on what you are studying and especially in the humanities and social sciences, higher education encourages enquiry, it is mentally stimulating, energising, and it develops the mind to have no truck with those who want to pull the wool over your eyes. Spotting error is just as important as gaining insight into new things. Hence University education I think is absolutely "all that".

• Spiral
    Spiral

Absolutely.

I really wish I had been able to go when I was younger.

As in all things in life, not everything is equal. There are wonderful universities and professors, and others that are not so wonderful.

However - learning, and learning how to learn, and having critical thinking skills is key to life satisfaction. If those are developed, a student would know when to ignore a professor's personal opinions that may not be valid.

Everyone should have the opportunity to be educated, regardless of what they do for a living. I feel the idea that only some need/deserve/should want a "higher" education, and that it should only be linked to what they do for a living, is a grave mistake. That is part of how the entitled stay entitled, and keep others out of their peer group (and poorer).

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Challenge a professor and you will flunk. There are too many stories about having to agree with the latest political dogma.

• minimus
    minimus

I think that if professors kept their opinions to themselves, extracurricular schooling would be so much better. I am all for higher education. I just do not like the liberalism that is affecting so many young people today. Many of them demonstrate and when asked why , they really have no well thought out response.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

I'm curious, did you attend a university Min?

I did and told one professor in front of the class that what he said was bullshit. Got an A in the class. I guess its not always the case that you fail. Did someone fail you for speaking out? It was never my experience even though one instructor said I was unusual because "No offense but the JW's he had taught weren't very intellectual nor intellectually honest." He was a prince, insert sarcasm.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit