Still trying to cope with my new situation (wife woke up, cheated and left)

by nevaagain 10 Replies latest jw friends

• nevaagain
    nevaagain

As you probably might know already, I already posted some lengthy posts about my situation,
    here: part 1 and here: part 2 is here.

To make it short, four weeks ago, my wife confessed that she cheated on me and immediately went upstairs to pack and to leave. This was planned from beforehand because she already managed for an apartment in a different city and a job there. The next day she sent an email to the elders out confessing of her wrong doings and wishing to get disassociated.

As a reason why she left, she told me, that we should have never married, because we don't fit together. The truth was the only thing that bonded us together and after that was gone, there was nothing left. Funny thing is, couple of months ago when everything was still fine, she told me how good of a couple that we are and how good we fit together. Also everybody who knew us said that we were a perfect fit for each other. Anyway she was always guided by her emotions and her emotions probably told her, escape your marriage and find a new partner.

Now its been 4 weeks and I am still trying to cope with the situation. Keeping myself busy and going to work helps, the hardest part is, driving back home from whereever I used to be knowing that nobody is home waiting for you. That you will wake up the next day and still there will be nobody to talk to. I loved my wife a lot and would have never imagined that outcome. Our 8 years of marriage have not been easy, but the last 3 years looked like we finally managed it.

Before the announcement of her dissociation the elders tried to talk to her, she made me responsible for leaving. She told me, it was me who showed apostate sites to her and she gave me all the blame for losing her faith. She not only told that to the elders but to everybody who contacted her before the dissociation announcement.

I am not ready to leave the truth, I originally wanted to leave with my wife. But she had other plans, I guess I was only good enough for the truth. When she woke up, she wanted a different life, without her marriage mate. Which means, she probably didn't love me to begin with. The conclusion for me is, probably it is better that way.

The funny thing is, I haven't showed her any apostate sites for quite some time now, I think it was two years ago when I showed her something and after this we had the occassional talk. But she made it clear, that I am free to go but she would remain in. Thats why it came to me as a surprise that she woke up behind my back. My theory is, that she was somehow unhappy and wanted out of the marriage and saying that I showed her apostate sites sounded like a good excuse. It wouldn't surprise me if she would come back after a while after she experienced her freedom. She had told me very often, that she married too young and that she should have experienced her freedom longer.

Anyway, of course the elders already talked to me about the apostate websites. This caught me offguard at the beginning, as I said, I am still not ready to leave. So I needed to say something plausible to them. I thought about saying that it is all lies from my wife. Anyway I didn't say that, there was this story one year ago when our CO came for a visit with a second couple and we invited them for lunch and the other couple brought up the australian commission and the pedophiles and even the COs wife weighted in saying she knows a case in almost any congregation.

So I told the elders, that after that topic came up with the CO, I researched that topic on the internet and it also showed it to my wife. Telling them I was only on news sites and I added: "I don't know if my wife made further research on apostate sites".

So far the elders left me alone. This is also the same story I tell everyone who was contacted by my wife spreading that it was me who showed her apostate websites and thats why she left me and the truth.

In the last 4 weeks I have been only to two meetings. I will use that what happaned to me as an excuse to fade. I already hinted to the elders at the possibility that I might go to a different congregation. The brothers are still on love bombing mode trying to encourage me and even inviting me to their homes. I have declined most invitations saying that I am not ready yet, but the truth is, I don't really want with brothers from my congregation right now. I want to be with friends, who are not with me because they are sorry for me, but because they are friends.

So year, sorry for the lengthy post again, but I just wanted to get the words out of my system :-)

• stillin
    stillin

Sorry to hear about your travails, Never. I am especially interested in news links that are posted here, too. My wife also took off years ago with some guy. I realized that the Witnesses were not actual friends, though some of them are very kind. I also turned to God, which is a common response in any form. There are no atheists in the foxholes, right?

I took a small part of the responsibility for my wife's "breakdown." I 'm not perfect. I may not be as sensitive as she would like me to be. We were reconciled, had sex again, and, within a month or two,she managed to place the full blame for her acts on me. And that's how it has been ever since.

Anyhow, you decide. I personally wish I had just let my wife go when I had the chance. She's a bitter, unpleasant person. Angry most of the time. Bossy.

Anybody here want her?

pS. The Witnesses don't have exclusive rights on showing kindness. At all.

• tiki
    tiki

Move on, my friend.... her mind is somewhere else, her heart maybe as well. You will survive it...sounds like you are still reeling from shock, but that will ebb with time. As for the religion...don't depend on it for emotional support...it is a house of cards that will crumble soon enough....chin up!!!

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

You have the opportunity now to start your real life free of the org, and free of any baggage that links you to the society.

Keep your dignity and self respect.

You are in an exciting and fresh time.

All the best!

• just fine
    just fine

Sometimes you are given a gift even though it doesn't feel like it right now. You have the opportunity to explore the person you want to be without a manipulative influence. The fact that she blames you for her actions should be a red flag to you. I hope you find peace and happiness as you move through this. When I left I was told that it was ok to be mad/sad but not to get stuck there, make sure you keep moving forward.

• jaydee
  • BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Sorry to hear of your troubles, nevaagain... Life sure is tough when one's discovering the real truth leads to a marriage break up.

I guess it must accepted and then move on. That is easy for an outsider to say, I know....Now I would carry on the slow fade, you overcame the apostasy accusation well . If you keep the line of communication with the dubs you know, that is a help , and it keeps your dignity and the moral high ground.

Hang on in there pal....

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    When she woke up, she wanted a different life, without her marriage mate. Which means, she probably didn't love me to begin with. The conclusion for me is, probably it is better that way.

Slow down there. She probably did love you to begin with, but you were two different people in that cult than you became later. But the conclusion is right- it is better that way.

Stuckinarut2 and Just Fine have some great thoughts in earlier post above.

Regardless of your situation with the religion, look for a quicker way to "move on" there also and find your happiness elsewhere.

• nevaagain
    nevaagain

Thank you all for the encouraging words!

OnTheWayOut: It sounds plausible what you say. It is just ... I was still the same person, cult wise or not. Thats why it came to a surprise to me, that her personality changed. Or probably it didnt change it was surpressed by the cult. It would have come out one way or not. Anyhow, could you elaborate on the "quicker way" to "move on"?

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

Start taking salsa lessons..... trust me. You will thank her.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit