WHAT IS YOUR PET PEVE?

by kls 52 Replies latest jw friends

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

HappyOut: My bad and conversate are slang not usually to be colloquialism. In fact conversate is more ebonics than anything I hate THAT WORD

• liquidsky
    liquidsky

I guess I am a snob, because my biggest peeves involve people who don't write or speak clearly. And there are certain "colloquialisms" that drive me crazy, for instance when people say they want to "conversate" instead of having a "conversation", and when they say "my bad" instead of "I'm sorry". And, while I understand that not everyone who posts here is a native English speaker, I would really appreciate more attention being paid to the format of messages. Sometimes I just give up on what might be an interesting subject, because I am having such a hard time deciphering what the poster is saying.

Oh yes, and I hate people who drive slow in the "fast" lane, too. Get a bike!!!

LOL! I entered happyout's post into an ebonics translator and this Is what came out:

I guess I be uh snob, cuz muh ma f***in biggest peeves involve peeps who don' write or speak clearly. And dere iz certain "colloquialisms" dat cruize me madness, fo' instance when peeps say dey wants ta "conversate" instead o' havin' uh "conversation", an' when dey say "my bad" instead o' "I'm sorry". And, while I dig' dat not brothas who posts here iz uh native English speaker, I would really appreciate mo' attention being paid ta da format o' messages. Sometimes I just give up on what might be an interesting subject, cuz I be havin' such uh hard tyme deciphering what da poster iz saying.

Oh yeea , an' I hate peeps who cruize slow in da "fast" lane, too. Get uh bike!!! with muh beeotch

http://www.joel.net/EBONICS/translator.asp

Liquidsky

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

LOL at Liquidsky LOL

• breal
    breal

Bad Drivers…. Apparently turn signals are an option on the cars they sell in BC.

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

Among the many, people who don't keep their word. Promises, promises, yeah right.

Guest 77

• obiwan
    obiwan

I hate it when people complain about their lives but do absolutely nothing to change it.

Ditto!

It cheese me off when people use ethnic slurs to describe someone or something. It just shows thier lack of inteligence.

• Scully
    Scully

breal:

Bad Drivers…. Apparently turn signals are an option on the cars they sell in BC.
    I don't know what's worse: people who don't use their turn signals, or people who use them and just let them keep flashing and flashing for miles and miles. If I'm a passenger and someone leaves their turn signal ticking, I get very irritable. I was eternally grateful when our new vehicle surprised us both with what I like to call "an idiot alarm". Heh heh. Now I only have to tolerate the prolonged unnecessary ticking for a couple of minutes at a time. Love, Scully
  • berylblue
    berylblue

When people make generalizations about Americans, such as....

Americanism.

Such as...

Oh, Im gonna go get some coffee from Starbucks , or

Turn on the TV I wanna watch Friends, or

God bless America

Honestly, Americans, when was the last time (if ever) you said ANY of the above?????

I know I never have.

The only time I have ever "lost" it on this board was when someone made a gross generalization about Americans. It really sets me off. Keep in mind, however, that this is most likely a reaction to the many rude remarks my English ex-husband made about Americans while we were married. (And no, he never went back to England and no, he never will. Which renders his oh-so-erudite (in his opinion) "observations" (barely disguised slurs, in actuality) impotent (in my opinion)).

Rosemarie

• Englishman
    Englishman

Victim culture.

I don't mean the REAL victims of, say, abuse, but people who blame everyone else for their problems and won't do anything to help themselves.

Englishman.

• Jessica Rabbit
    Jessica Rabbit

Brats. Children who cry so loud in a public place that I want to shove a sock in thier mouths. You know the ones. They have this gravel sound to thier voice and when you make eye contact with the little monsters, they pause for a brief moment because they know you have figured them out and that they are only doing it because their worthless parent lets them get away with it. These are also the parents that have not been told about BIRTH CONTROL, so they have like 6 or 7 of the little creatures!

Thank GOD I had my tubes tied!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit