New standard on how they treat disfellowship

by Butterflyleia85 40 Replies latest members private

• Butterflyleia85
    Butterflyleia85

Since 2008 what changes has happened in the Jehovah's Witnesses policy and how they treat disfellowship? Who made these changes?

My Jehovah's Witnesses grandma says you can say hi to disfellowship now. Is this true?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Yes, and brief conversations too, but only at the meetings, apparently. Although, the new instruction also specifies not to have meals with DFed people, which might reasonably imply that talking to DFed people if you meet them outside is also allowed. The scripture about “not saying a greeting” is no longer applied to DFed people but to known apostates only. It was only announced a couple of days ago and it is not yet clear exactly how far the relaxed rules will go.

• cofty
    cofty
    Ha that's me still getting shunned then!
  • stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

it wont make any difference to me--2 of my kids have considered me dead for many years now. I think it really would finish me off if they did make contact.

• ElderBerry
    ElderBerry

The changes can be summed up in two words- soft touch.

Soft touch in getting DFed in the first place, it’s a lot less likely to happen and even if it does happen it’s only for 90 days then easy to get reinstated. During that 90 days people will still talk to you anyway

so definitely soft touch describes the changes.

there is no more fear of being shunned like there used to be.

if you have a meeting with a few elders and they decide you will be DFed then you can ask for an appeal committee. If you tell them you are repentant and won’t do it again they can overturn the original decision.

So it seems to me it’s very unlikely anyone will be DFed ever again. And in the worst case it does happen it’s only for 90days. There is no need to ask to be reinstated the elders will chase you and try to talk you into agreeing to be reinstated.

• Biahi
    Biahi

I am anticipating in the October annual meeting that they will declare 2025 a “Jubilee Year”, all disfellowshipped will be reinstated, and the elder arrangement eliminated. No more elders, no more disfellowshipping. I guess we have to wait and see. If they have outside firms giving advice, worldly people could tell them straight out how cruel their treatment is.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Much has been speculated on this " jubilee year".

Like Ive reiterated,, sensational changes or "unusual claims" or demands,,, there is NO going back.

Let the Borg paint itself into a corner.🙂

• Butterflyleia85
    Butterflyleia85

My grandma invited me to the memorial and asked if she could send articles. This is after she asked how I was doing in college.

I said I don't think you realize how traumatic the disfellowshipment was. I invite you to do some research in psychology and the study of how one is isolated from their family and friends.

She said well I'm talking to you now.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

"" she asked how I was doing in college"".

Seems like a hypocritical and yet poignant statement to me.

When you consider how the Borg and it's followers hate higher education so much.

Ironic.

Nice of her to ask however.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange
    She said well I'm talking to you now.

Remember— she was (and still is) a captive to the Cult. She didn’t decide she should talk to you. The Cult gave her permission— and in fact, she sees it that they encouraged her to talk to you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit