New standard on how they treat disfellowship

by Butterflyleia85 42 Replies latest members private

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

Jeffro, if you're right, they had better be careful how they word things and what they codify into hard and fast rules. The eyes of the world's governments are now upon them, which is why the GB has enacted these changes in the first place. Clear rules are easy to weigh up in a court of law. Vague principles, not so easily.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Indeed. If advised by half-decent lawyers, they will probably continue to couch things in vague terms in writing, but provide more specific detail in talks. Then it's easier for them to weasel their way out of trouble by saying 'oh, that's just some individual member's interpretation, we don't tell them to shun'. (Even though they've actually doubled down on the specific directive to shun 'apostates'.)

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

It’s what they write down that matters because JWs forget what they hear in talks. When establishing what the rules are JWs refer to what the latest Watchtower says on the issue. If the comments in the Watchtower allow for wriggle room then many JWs will take it and run with it, if they are already inclined to want to talk to DFed people. It sounds like many JWs have wasted no time and have already contacted DFed relatives.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Nice analysis.

• TxNVSue2023
    TxNVSue2023

I was DF D3c 2022. Reinstated this Jan 2024 ( 1 year df'd). When they reinstated me that said I am on restriction- no commenting at meetings, have to have a weekly study with a pioneer sister, no parts in the school. How long do these restrictions usually last ( been about 3 months since reinstated).

• jehovaxx
    jehovaxx

Tx the new way is just 90dsys from announcing your DFed to reinstatement.

it’s so new that there are lots of uncertainties

lots of things need to be ironed out.

I don’t think the answers to your question have been made clear anywhere in the guidelines

there is a new elders book in the works and I will send mine to Atlantis as soon as I get it

but what zi would say is that it is clear sea change. The DFed ones have all the power from now on, not the elders.

The DFed ones can push the elders around and not the other way around. The DFed ones can threaten to talk to CO then the branch office complaining that the elders are not following directions from the GB

you really don’t need to fear 90 day sanctions anymore just view it as a holiday and no more shunning

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

I don't know... Sue's elders sound a bit on the strict side. If she agitates too hard, they might decide that her attitude is problematic. At the end of the day, AFAICS, the ball still resides in the elders' court. Remember, this change isn't for the benefit of people like Sue, it's something the WT can show governments, so that they can say: "See? We're not complete arseholes after all..."

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Why do I get the vibe that they wanna look less controlling…

…whilst somehow exercising even more control?

• westiebilly11
    westiebilly11

Honey attracts.

Vinegar repels.

Kindness and basic courtesy isn't a bad thing.

Less judgment, and more principles.

The new adjustments are good, whichever way one looks at them, surely.

Too many families and individuals have been hurt by shunning etc.

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

Ahhhh...another angle to consider..." restrictions" and "Probation".

What is the biblical basis?

Is the ransom partial...or only good for a few months? You are sort of reinstated? lol :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit