What Happens To You When You Die?

by minimus 62 Replies latest jw friends

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Nobody ever got back to me to tell me. There are lots of airy fairy ideas from so called 'holy books' like the bible or quran. There are lots of people that claim to have the answer.

Personally, I think when you die, that's it. Oblivion. No afterlife.

If a ghost can tell me I'm wrong, I'm listening.

• The Scotsman
    The Scotsman

I believe that death of the body is not the end for us.

And I feel much evidence supports this conclusion.

• cofty
    cofty

In 1974 Graham Teasdale and Bryan J. Jennett, professors of neurosurgery at Glasgow's Southern General Hospital developed a system for making an initial assessment of an injured person's level of consciousness.

With the Glasgow Coma Scale a patient is given a GCS score out of 15.

Basically the more damaged they are the less they are conscious and they lower their score - 3 is the lowest you can get.

Why would we assume that when we get as low as we can go on the GCS scale we become fully conscious again?

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel
    Personally, I think when you die, that's it. Oblivion. No afterlife.

What do you think of all the paranormal shows on television? Do you think these people are lying our that they fake everything? There are people who have been driven from their homes by spirits and unable to return. Whether these are the spirits of the departed or evil spirits is unknown, but when these paranormal investigators go into asylums and other places, I don't believe they're making it all up.

I had a friend from Atchison, Kansas, who had spirits in his home. He told me about his experiences but said these spirits didn't harm them in any way. The family became accustomed to them and that events were relatively rare. On one occasion, my friend said, his mother was carrying laundry upstairs. She tripped and as she fell back, two hands grabbed her by the shoulders and righted her. Assuming it was her husband, she turned and said, "Thank goodness you...." and no one was there. It initially unnerved her, but she reasoned that if the spirit had meant her any harm, it would have let her fall. But every member of the family had their own stories. And no, I don't believe they were lying, crazy or imagining it.

Why would we assume that when we get as low as we can go on the GCS scale we become fully conscious again?

We don't assume anything. If the spirit departs from the body, it is no longer under the restraints of the flesh.

• cofty
    cofty
    What do you think of all the paranormal shows on television?

Total bullshit.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Do you think these people are lying our that they fake everything? - is that really the only two options?

How about, these people sincerely believe in afterlife/spirits but are wrong ...

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

And I feel much evidence supports this conclusion.

Sure it does...

• cofty
    cofty
    She tripped and as she fell back, two hands grabbed her by the shoulders and righted her.

How does a disembodied "spirit" do that?

How can a spirit pass through solid objects and catch solid objects?

If it interacts with material objects then it could be detected and measured. Except it can't.

• talesin
    talesin

My friend was dead from anaphylaxis (sp?), an allergic reaction to Novocaine in the Dentists' office. Luckily, the paramedics got there quickly, and brought him back. He was 15. He saw/heard/felt NOTHING. I've been hit by a car, and in a coma for 2 days (when I was 8) ... nothing, nil, nada.

These "near-death" experiences are easily explained by the chemistry of the brain. Cofty, I like the poem you posted earlier.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I suspect that death is a full stop; but I couldn't say for sure it isn't a semi-colon.

Plus death is a social construction of course. We die many deaths, before and after our brains stop functioning. It's only one milestone on the road.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit