Flat Earth and Jw. Not possible?

by Earthmeasured 125 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Earthmeasured
    Earthmeasured

Yes the Bible absolutely describe the Earth as flat and not as a globe and interesting is its armony on this matter.

• Half banana
    Half banana

Mr geometer, indeed the Bible does use the Hebrew word ball or sphere (dur or duwr) as at Isaiah 22;18 but not for the Earth where as we are all aware it is described as a circle. This is not divinely inspired but like most of the Bible, it's a reflection of the thinking of the time period. People's view of the world in the 6th century BC was of a glass-like heavenly dome covering a flat Earth as poetically interpreted in Isaiah 40,22 using the Hebrew word chug meaning circle. Dur can also mean circle but chug cannot mean (to my knowledge) a sphere.

The ancient Greeks using measurements, later determined not only that the Earth was a sphere but also measured the size of the planet. Towards the end of the 2nd century BC Eratosthenes of Alexandria determined the diameter of the globe by logical analysis of the angle of the sun simultaneously in two locations at a known distance apart.

However if you still place the words of the Bible above either common sense or scientific evidence, then I'm afraid there is little hope for you ever understanding anything.

The Bible is not reliable for facts it is an ancient STORYBOOK and bears all the evidence of human authorship.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

Earthmeasured

If you absolutely agree the Bible teaches the earth is flat have you seen images taken by various space missions?

• Newtonian
    Newtonian

I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses and we believe the earth is a sphere.

Isaiah 40:22 uses the Hebrew word hhug/chugh which means circle in two dimensions and sphere in 3 dimensions.

Job 26:7,10 not only shows the earth is hung upon nothing in empty space, but also that the terminator (division of light and darkness) is a circle - which could only be true if the earth was a sphere!

• Earthmeasured
    Earthmeasured

Images in space missions are faked. Like the moon landing. Half banana can you explain me the eratosthenes experience? Lets debate a little please

• cofty
    cofty

Of all the errors you could have chosen, the fact that the earth is not flat is about the only thing the cult got right.

You need to learn to pick your fights more carefully.

• Earthmeasured
    Earthmeasured

Newtonian you too, please explain me the erathostenes experience

• Earthmeasured
    Earthmeasured

Yes cofty, an hard fight but im scientifically and technically prepared

• cofty
    cofty
    the Bible absolutely describe the Earth as flat and not as a globe

You are correct about that. What else would we expect from Iron Age goat herders?

im scientifically and technically prepared

Watching YouTube is not scientific research.

• Earthmeasured
    Earthmeasured

Cofty, im well prepared. Not from Youtube. I ve studied astrnomy, geography, mechanics, cynematics, quantum physicss for more than three years now and im a 40 years old mechanic engeneer.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit