Who Qualifies for TTATT?

by John Aquila 44 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

I have no idea how another person will react to hearing the ttatt, but I do believe everyone deserves to be informed of the facts regarding harmful teachings and then they can make up their own mind.

Having said that, I don't believe it's my responsibility to go round bursting other peoples bubbles for the heck of it either.

The whole concept of "qualifying for ttatt" is in itself a hangover from being in a cult

• vinman
    vinman

I agree with you John, except for that happy 20 year old. He is young. Happy or not, he needs to know. I was "happy", but sure would not want to waste another second in the cult. I believe approach is everything. If you are a believer in the scriptures, and you now have a understanding of what your role is in God's timetable, and you can explain and prove their is no true religion, and explain what "truth" is in the scriptures, then I feel you are in a good position to help. If you do not know who you are dealing with, it can destroy them. You can't just take "the truth" away from a believer in scripture, and offer him nothing. In fact, I am trying to appeal to my mom in this manner. Explaining to her that you don't have to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Telling her how much I have learned since I left.

• Island Man
    Island Man

Every JW deserves to know TTATT. But special care needs to be exercised when sharing it with some - those who the OP says do not qualify. They do qualify but they need special professional counseling to change their whole outlook in a gradual manner, before sharing TTATT with them.

So I think the points made by the OP are valid, not as it pertains to who qualifies to learn TTATT, period. But specifically as it pertains to who is in a position to learn TTATT raw from layman ex-JW.

it might be a good idea to think of what type of questions to ask a JW to determine if they're ready for TTATT from a layman ex-JW. Some questions might be:

If hard, indisputable evidence came to light proving that JWs really do not have the truth, would you want to know?

If you discovered that this is not the truth, where do you see your life headed - what would you do with your life?

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

People have to be ready.

I won't go running around telling everyone the disturbing things I have learned about the org.

But if they ask why my activity has ceased, I may start carefully by saying;

"I have learned some disturbing facts, but I don't want to rock your faith like it has mine"

If they insist on asking specifics, I may share "well, have you read the original writings that the org produced? If Jesus and Jehovah chose the org based on that, it would be very surprising"

Dont spew everything out the first time someone asks!

• John Aquila
    John Aquila

Island Man
    Every JW deserves to know TTATT. But special care needs to be exercised when sharing it with some

I agree special care is needed when sharing. I went through hell when I found out. I wasn't sure if I was going to make it. I was a daily and nightly struggle for a while. Then finally the clouds started clearing. I don't think I have the expertise to help everyone.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

I tend to think practically everyone qualifies. The argument that everones life could improve in some way is a strong one.

Take the age issue. I mean at what point do we draw the line? The 80 year old that struggles every week financially as she donates far too much of her pension to the borg? The lonely 60 year old that doesn't go out looking for a new partner 'cos he's not too confident with dating (its been so long) and he may as well wait till he's young & buff in the new system! The exhausted and broke 50 year old pioneer who could better spend her time as a foster mother (harder to place older kids) for the borough ? She'll spend her old age financially better off and with a gaggle of grateful foster kids to visit her.

I think the dying and the very sick and/or disabled almost definately qualify but again the blood issue is a qualifier on that. Your quadraplegics broke my heart. Yes your quadraplegic qualifies.

But here's the thing, what about his wife? As a young healthy women, if she was not married to him would she not qualify for ttatt? I am sure most people would agree she would. Effectively then we are sacrificing her to his God, for his welfare.

Is that fair, or right?

Noone can say whether their marriage would survive ttatt if only she accepted it. We will not consider his acceptance of ttatt aside from her for now, but who knows? Would her love for him compel her to withold ttatt from him or tell him the truth in order to keep him? (or could her integrity demand it even ?) Interesting.

Would she do a runner the minute she found out, reasoning he's better off without her but with 'the truth'?

I disagree your young elder with the JW family does not qualify. What the hell is someone in their 20's doing being an elder anyway? He should out gaining life experience and having fun doing it. Serve his community, yes, but in a more age appropriate way. That is the way to garner genuine respect, now and in the future. Not by having his ego artificially stroked peddling someone elses BS. I guarantee half the congo think he's a w@*#*r.

Just my t'penny worth, enough from me!

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    I guarantee half the congo think he's a w@*#*r.

Sorry I shouldn't have posted that, I forget you know him, I'm just putting my 'own stuff 'about young elders onto him. I am sure he's a really nice guy.😉

(Still think 20's too young to be an elder though! )

• John Aquila
    John Aquila
    Diogenesister

I disagree your young elder with the JW family does not qualify. What the hell is someone in their 20's doing being an elder anyway? He should out gaining life experience and having fun doing it. Serve his community, yes, but in a more age appropriate way.

The 20 +year old is a quadriplegic, he can't go out and have fun and serve his community. He needs someone to push his wheel chair, change his diaper, feed him etc. His jw family does that.

• Olivia Wilde
    Olivia Wilde
    John Aquila: I believe we all can relate in going thru hell in different ways once we found out... but soo true once the clouds cleared up we we can see the more clearly...I feel the same way too, I don't think I'm an expert either because they have to be ready for it... something has to impact them personally to be open to TTATT
  • Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    he 20 +year old is a quadriplegic, he can't go out and have fun and serve his community. He needs someone to push his wheel chair, change his diaper, feed him etc. His jw family does that.

sorry john, didn't understand, thAt's terrible. This is what kills me about loosing my faith, the pain of knowing the universe is profoundly indifferent to us, faced with such suffering - well, I know you know....I cant say any more

apologies for my stupidity

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit