BREXIT

by ScottyRex 44 Replies latest members politics

• galaxie
    galaxie

@cofty.. "Britain has done much better.." yes as still a member of the eu.. "That isn't the case" are you listening to the same forecasts as me....Liam fox is struggling to complete trade deals..why?because the countries he's trying to negotiate with know they have the upper hand as the uk leaving the eu need them. Evidence is being produced and a pause looks all the more likely. The government/May who tried their best to ignore parliament lost by 230 votes the greatest defeat in a!most recorded parliamentary history for her deal which did not suit most of her own party...and even her deal was not the hardest brexit. Again not much being discussed here re the Irish situation or securities and law enforcement treaties. The rhetoric and pamphlets of three years ago are about as relevant as an old watchtower.the general public should never have been given this complex and consequential decision brought about by Cameron caving in to a minority. Leaving the eu as a parliamentary decision would probably not got past the proposal stage as most are remainers. The leavers now have Cameron to thank for their ideological opportunity. As I say interesting times ahead, I hope it will not be too severe.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

The leavers now have Cameron to thank for their ideological opportunity - a very cynical comment.

The UK electorate was owed a referendum on EU membership - the referendum in 1975 was whether or not we should join a trading bloc, the EEC.

Cameron did the decent thing when he gave us the opportunity to vote on EU membership.

Leaving the eu as a parliamentary decision would probably not got past the proposal stage as most are remainers - as cofty pointed out, Cameron promised the government would act on the referendum result.

Whether most MPs voted Remain or not shouldn't matter.

• galaxie
    galaxie

@luhe..cynical..I was talking in the plural i do not wish to offend individuals...group cynicism is apparent in both sides. My statement to which you refer however remains true.

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

Talking to an ex-Civil servant last week about Brexit. He says that he read all 500+pages of Theresa May's brexit proposal and that in his opinion, it wasn't that bad.

Then, much to my surprise, went on to say that none of it really matters much anyway. As a sovereign nation we'll be able to do pretty much as we like and that if we don't like the way that things turn out, we'll simply renege on our promises and do whatever we want to.

Gosh.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

The Brexit Leave deal is being negotiated by those that want to Remain. That's the biggest problem. They keep inserting language that will effectively keep the UK donating money to the EU and taking in more immigrants while taking away any benefits to "punish" the voting public until they are forced to get in line with what the leaders want.

Macron was right when he said: I would never put it up to a vote because I already know the answer would be to leave. Same problem in Netherlands and Belgium.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit