BREXIT

by ScottyRex 44 Replies latest members politics

• zeb
    zeb

Is it true that the brits have to pay millions in 'fees' to be part of the deal.?

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Is it true that the brits have to pay millions in 'fees' to be part of the deal.? - yes, that's correct.

I think annual membership is in the billions of pounds. In other words, we pay the EU billions of pounds each and every year just to be a member.

So, when people talk about 'EU funding' it's actually money recycled from member countries, including the UK. The EU doesn't actually have any money of its own, I believe.

I've heard it said that for every £2 the UK gives the EU, we get back £1. I don't know if this is correct or not.

Edit - here ya go, Zeb, get your peepers on this:

In 2017 the UK government paid £13 billion to the EU budget, and EU spending on the UK was forecast to be £4 billion. So the UK’s ‘net contribution’ was estimated at nearly £9 billion.

Each year the UK gets a discount on its contributions to the EU—the ‘rebate’—worth about £5.6 billion last year. Without it the UK would have been liable for £18.6 billion in contributions.

https://fullfact.org/europe/our-eu-membership-fee-55-million/

• galaxie
    galaxie

@cofty... "Damage to public confidence" will evaporate in a heartbeat if the results of a hard brexit impact on the daily lives of people. I felt I was answering your questions, obviously my answers prompt more questions. I feel you sideswiped my question re parliamentary sovereignty and their democratically given prime authority to protect citizens from calamitous situations whether at hand(immediate)or risk assessed forecast. The public can turn very quickly against their reps' if they make a bozz up !.

• cofty
    cofty
    I feel you sideswiped my question re parliamentary sovereignty - galaxie

I have no idea how I could have answered it more directly.

In 2016 the government laid out 16 pages of threats to the UK economy that they predicted might result from leaving the EU, and then concluded with the promise — 'This is your decision. The Government will implement what you decide.'

So while it may have a legal option to ignore the clear result of the people's wishes it has no moral basis to do so.

On 1 February 2017 an overwhelming majority of Parliament — 498 to 114 — voted to back Article 50.

• galaxie
    galaxie

@cofty..Perhaps I didn't make the point of my question clear enough is if the wishes of the people produce a result detrimental to the country and can be shown as such, do you agree that parliamentary sovereignty should take clear precedence.

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny
    Is it true that the brits have to pay millions in 'fees' to be part of the deal.?

We pay around £370,000,000 every week to the EU. We receive around £130,000,000 of that back, but the EU tells us how that £130,000,000 must be spent.

£370,000,000 is around $486,000,000.

• cofty
    cofty

galaxie — Nothing has substantially changed since the government's doom and gloom predictions of 2016. In fact Britain has done very much better than expected.

They warned us that leaving the EU would result in economic pain but promised that they would carry out our decision. Your question is based on a supposition that we now KNOW that Brexit WILL do great damage to the UK in a way that we could not have known in 2016. That isn't the case.

If it was the case then the government would have a responsibility to present that evidence to the country and pause Brexit. No such compelling evidence exists.

• cofty
    cofty

I wonder how our American friends would feel about the USA paying $328 million per week (the net figure) to a free trade organisation who held the power to overturn any decision of the Supreme Court without possibility of appeal.

All citizens of the other member states of the club also have the absolute right to come and live in your country. You retain no right of refusal. You also give up any rights to make trade deals with countries outside the club.

How many of you would like to join?

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

/\ /\ being a member of the club enabled businesses in the UK to employ european workers who were happy to work for minimum wages--or less. such workers could earn more than they could back home--where a lot of their wages ended up.

It also helped keep wages down in the UK and profits for business up. it forced british workers to work for less and job vacances were reduced.

• Dubtown
    Dubtown

i cant help but think brexit is to be used as the 2019 version of Lehman brothers!

the next financial collapse blamed on brexit when the bubble of everything bursts.

silver lining, watchtower wont make anymore profit from selling off kingdom halls when we get property market collapse 2.0

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit