BREXIT

by ScottyRex 44 Replies latest members politics

• cofty
    cofty

galaxie - As a thought experiment, if there were no negative financial consequences of leaving the EU would you do it?

• galaxie
    galaxie

@ cofty..as your question is entirely hypothetical i would rather deal with the reality of the situation,the outcome of which still has some way to go. If the situation were that there were no financial or commercial negatives the conversation and atmosphere would of course be much more positive. Perhaps I could bounce the ball back to you,being that almost all forecasts produce a negative impact the degrees of which depend on which type of brexit,my non hypothetical question to you is..do you think brexit is worth putting many peoples livelihoods at risk knowing the social consequences that would have to be endured,also the risk of vital medical supplies Inc' non storable cancer drugs?. I feel these things are immediately more important than predictions about future political posturing. I prefer to deal with realities rather than hypotheticals.

• cofty
    cofty

Thought experiments are hypothetical by definition. It's a pity you won't respond. It helps to get to the core of our reasons for positions we take. I think economic fear-mongering is a cover. Even if it there was an absolute guarantee that we would be better off out the EU I think most remainers would just find other reasons why we must reverse the referendum.

I have no doubt that Brexit will cause difficulties in the short to medium term. Nobody knows how severe these will be. I think there are very compelling reasons to leave the EU. We have to make a judgement about risks and benefits. On balance my position is to leave.

The way remainers denigrate and deliberately misrepresent those of us who want Brexit is the surest way to avoid the constructive conversation that is urgently needed.

• galaxie
    galaxie

Denigration and misrepresentation as I recall were tactics used by those trying to make the case for leaving...your response to my question was interesting as you concede the severity of the difficulties have a possibility of being severe being that you say nobody knows,is that a risk worth taking with peoples lives.the status quo affords no risk apart from normal fluctuations in trade and market circumstances which are normal commercial ebb and flows. You will I'm sure agree that your balance of reasons for leaving could be vastly different from others.

• cofty
    cofty

galaxie — I have acknowledged that there is an economic risk to Brexit. Are you able to recognise the benefits of leaving in terms of sovereignty?

In other words I see it as a balance of risk and benefit. Do you see it as entirely one sided? Can you acknowledge that, for many of us, Brexit is a reasonable and principled position?

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

@Cofty - you make a good point. It's a pity that Galaxie won't respond.

There are pros and cons on both sides of the debate.

But I don't think the vast majority of Remainers see it that way. I voted Leave so to them I'm a Little Englander-racist.

I accept that leaving could cost us money and jobs, especially in the short term. But that has to be balanced against political freedom for the UK. There's an honest debate to be had but it takes both sides to engage.

• galaxie
    galaxie

@cofty ..do you agree with the sovereignty of parliament to overturn the result of an advisory referendum if it feels the country and it's citizens would suffer as a result. Democracy decreed that parliament are our safeguard to the best of their ability. Margaret Thatcher had the right opinion re a referendum on our position regarding the eec /eu.

• galaxie
    galaxie

@luhe.. I would never accuse you of being as you describe as with cofty your reason for leaving valid.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

do you agree with the sovereignty of parliament to overturn the result of an advisory referendum if it feels the country and it's citizens would suffer as a result - this isn't what cofty was asking for ... he wanted you to respond re the pros and cons of both sides of the brexit debate. I have responded to this and cofty himself has.

(If parliament does decide to do that, then I'll take it on the chin. It wouldn't surprise me. Politicians will do absolutely anything rather than actually listen to the electorate. "If voting changed anything they'd abolish it" - Ken Livingstone.)

• cofty
    cofty

It's difficult to have a conversation galaxie when you ignore every question.

The government were emphatic that they would enact the result of the referendum regardless of the outcome.

Every household in the UK got a copy of a booklet with the pithy title, 'Why the Government believes that voting to remain in the European Union is the best decision for the UK.' here...

On page 14 it said, 'This is your decision. The Government will implement what you decide.'

So while it might be technically possible to reverse Brexit it would be deeply damaging to public confidence in our democratic system.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit