BREXIT

by ScottyRex 44 Replies latest members politics

• cofty
    cofty

Serious question galaxie — If you got your way to tear up the result of the referendum exactly what question would you put on the second one?

If/when you lost the second referendum would it heal the divisions in the UK or make it worse?

If the second referendum was closer than the first one — say a majority of 2% — would you feel like we should have a third vote?

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

Scottyrex: Despite personally not wanting the UK to leave the EU (for personal reasons) the voters were given a very restricted and restrictive choice - Leave or Remain. No mention of a hard or soft Brexit to voters, it was just Brexit or remain. They voted to leave, having been informed that the UK would adopt WTO rules - followed by new deals with Europe.

The whole pantomime has since been hijacked by various political deviants who are hell-bent on preventing the true result of the referendum being carried out.

The majority of UK MP's agreed on the Act of Parliament which states that Britain will leave the EU on March 29th. It's a law - and many MP's are now prepared to postpone the very law they created.

If any "deals" or compromises are made with the EU prior to Brexit, then effectively both leavers and remainers will have been taken for mugs. The UK will then start to see some really ugly consequences I fear.

• cofty
    cofty

For balance, here is a thoughtful article from the excellent Nick Cohen on why he believes we must think again.

Brexit extremism is going nowhere. Now the moderate millions must act...

• galaxie
    galaxie

Unfortunately we must bear consequences which at the moment look for the most part to be negative for the country by most forecasters even with a softer brexit. A no deal will be calamitous. This is the outcome because of holding this advisory ref' in the first place.Imo the vast majority of those voting had not the educated wherewithal to perceive the outcome of their decision, a far greater period of time should have been afforded for serious consequential forecast of the various scenarios..the back stop is a prime example..hardly a word on that as we now understand crucially important for upholding of the good Friday agreement and peace subject was discussed. Peaceful relationships in Europe should not be dismissed either ,working together and friendly trade and relations has in the main served the UK well and secures a lot of jobs/employment which is currently at risk and for what?the age old dissatisfaction of the right wing who don't give a monkeys if we jeopardise the livelihoods of millions because of their dogmatic stance and distrust not to mention hatred of the eu. At the moment until parliament has the upcoming votes and outcomes of those permutations i can't say exactly what questions i would like but one should be remaining with the status quo, if there were to be another vote I'd go for the status quo (remain). For myself whatever was decided I would be content believing that we had had a fairer better informed choice .

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

IMHO, the British electorate were deliberately kept in the dark regarding the consequences of leaving the E.U.

Mrs Thatcher (whom I intensely disliked) once made an extremely insightful comment regarding a referendum on remaining a member of the E.U. She basically stated that such a question was far too complex to be put on a ballot paper, in view of the effect on all the agreements, treaties, etc.

It's only since the vote went "pear-shaped" that businesses/politicians/governments have come come out of the woodwork to warn the British people of the consequences of their "foolish choice."

Where were all these experts and their erudite conclusions prior to the vote taking place?

Is it a coincidence that French Customs Officers are going on strike before Britain finally decides to leave/remain?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/47454150

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

I would have voted Yes to Scottish independence.....but I couldn't...because i,'m English....we had no say in the matter...

as for brexit...bring it on. We have more than enough Eastern European car washers now thank you.

• cofty
    cofty

galaxie - That illustrates the problem. Nobody who calls for a second referendum knows how they would frame the question. They just feel very disappointed that they lost and want it overturned. To ignore the clear result of a referendum would be deeply divisive and undermine confidence in democracy.

I knew exactly what I was voting for. The government spent millions of pounds sending us all a booklet (how was that legal?) explaining what Brexit would mean and why we must vote no. They guaranteed us they would carry out our wishes.

• galaxie
    galaxie

@cofty..yes your reasoning for wanting to leave is valid..as I understand it you have concerns re the future motives of the politicizing of Europe and the inability of the UK government to counter such moves. I don't have such immediate concerns,there are consequences staring us in the face which will have a negative effect on millions of people as a result of a decision taken by people who were fed misinformation,including interviewed participants when asked why they voted leave answered...we liberated the French from the Germans and now their telling us what to do...or....the kids can't play the same games in the playground,we should have left immediately....what percentage of leave voters based their decision on a whim. The European union could be likened to a ship which sometimes may sail rough waters,all hands on deck to steady the course. The mutineers on the other hand want to cast adrift on a boat on uncharted waters with little regard for the safety of those forced to accompany them . Interesting times lie ahead.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I'd accept a second referendum on one condition: a remain option must be left out.

No remain option because we already voted leave in the 2016 referendum.

So, a second referendum could be useful in deciding how we leave the EU.

But those pushing for a second referendum aren't interested - they want to overturn the 2016 result and stay in the EU. So, they'll always want a remain option on any possible future referendum paper.

Hopefully the will of the people will prevail and we'll leave the EU.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

the British electorate were deliberately kept in the dark regarding the consequences of leaving the E.U. - the British electorate were also deliberately kept in the dark when they voted to join. They thought they were joining a trading bloc. They weren't warned that people wanted to create a supranational political entity.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit