WoMD ... so where are they?

by Simon 865 Replies latest social current

• rem
    rem

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. That being said, finding WMD is not necessary for this to be a legal war. The war was in response to Saddam's failure to abide by his obligations as outlined in the 1991 cease fire agreement. If he had no WMD, then he was stupid because his noncompliance over 12 years, firing on US and UK planes, noncooperation with inspectors, and providing false and insufficient documentation to the UN made him in violation of said cease fire agreement. Hence, this was not a preventative war - this was basically a continuation of GW1 (I know it's more complicated than this... I'm just simplifying).

The UN security counsel unanymously agreed that Saddam was in material breach of past resolutions and all of the countries that voted for 1441 believed Saddam had chemical weapons - even France and Germany. I think it is more likely than not that he had them, and if he had them then I hope we find them. There is no reason to believe that these weapons will be easy to find without help from people who were in the know in the former regime.

There have been so many things discussed in the media, by the government(s), this board, etc. about this war (WMD, humanitarian issues, oil, corporate contracts, etc.) that I believe the reasons why this action was taken have become clouded. Whether this action was the right one, though, remains to be seen.

rem

• patio34
    patio34

Hi Rem,

It's true that Iraq was in violation of the UN; however, it was the UN that was the agent to rectify this, not the US, right? The US went without the UN, which was, in fact, illegal.

Pat

• Jayson
    Jayson
    was the UN that was the agent to rectify this, not the US, right?

Wrong.

The UN was and is a pussy. Deal with it!

• patio34
    patio34

Hi Jayson,

Actually, I was referring to the legality of it according to the UN charter that the member nations agree to. Not the bravery or cowardice of any organization.

Pat

• Jayson
    Jayson

Still wrong, and off topic. Simon asked about the exact location of WMD that the US claims Iraq had/has. That is this thread. Simon has let it continue and I want it to as well. If you want to talk the merits and legalities of the UN charter start a thread. I promise to try to behave. I will try to stay in line with your topic; But, when it comes to the UN acting for humanity where force is needed I stand by my post above.

• rem
    rem

Patio,

The US had the right to go to war with Iraq after they fired the first anti aircraft artillery at one of our planes securing the no-fly zone. I think the US's restraint for 12 years is what is confusing people. Still, it will be interesting to see whether the recent action taken turns out positive for the world or if further restraint may have been the better course.

rem

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

"""You have absolutely no concept of what "circular reasoning" is...."

LOL! You do not have to look very far for an example:

""In your last post you finally managed a semblance of a reasonable comment and question:

: What do you feel is an objective viewpoint in relation to the Iraq war?""

LOL: Man you can sure dance! I sould not have needed to ask! When all is said and done, you have not said a damn thing regarding the reasons for your claims. You just jump around more than a rabbit in heat. I give up!

"""The fact is that you are quite the right wing fanatic, and so you interpret anything that is not right wing as opposing the right wing. That's why you invented an opinion for me. In this you're not different from left wing fanatics. I am in neither wing, and so in keeping with my skepticism I reserve judgment about the war, along with plenty of other things."""

LOL......is this what you now must stoop too? Any proof to your claims? Agian, smoke and rubbish. I feel sorry for you.

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

""Have I said anything that constitutes an opinion about the war in Iraq? No. ""

You prove my point. All you have managed to do is pontificate extremism regarding the control of information and other absurd claims. You try to intimidate by being condescending. When asked for the reasons for your claims, you blow smoke in our face. Wow!

Look! The emperor is wearing no clothes.....lol

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

You Bush apologists are something else. You cannot admit when you have all being conned. The US did not go in there for WMD or to liberate a people. As time goes on it is proving the rest of the world was right as its getting quiet obvious the US went into Iraq for other reasons. Now the way I look at it is why lie!!! It was strategically in the US and Israel’s interest to go in there. The Bush administration sacrificed all these innocent American, British and Iraqi lives to secure the Iraqi oil.

It just amazes me that in this 21 century that we as a human race is supposed to be so civilized yet we resort to murder when we don't get our own way.

Will

• JH

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit