WoMD ... so where are they?

by Simon 865 Replies latest social current

• AlanF
    AlanF

ThiChi, the fact that you think "manipulated" means "controlled" shows that you are merely stupid, not a liar. So I take back my accusation that you lied in this respect.

AlanF

• dubla
    dubla

simon-

This thread shows the folly of trying to reason with some people, I'm not even going to bother trying.

thats a complete copout, and you know it. this is how you started out your thread:

We were told by the US and UK that Iraq had terrible Weapons of Mass Destruction and they were a threat to us all.

We were told that they knew for certain that they had them and where they were.

those two sentences started out your attempts to "reason with some people".........now, right off the bat you started with a misleading if not entirely fabricated idea......that the u.s./u.k. supposedly told you they knew for certain where the wmd were. ive shown that statement, the statement you based your entire argument, to be completely false......and now you simply arent "going to bother trying" to reason your way out of it? i wouldnt either if the premise my argument was based on had just vanished and i had no decent rebuttal.

also from your first post on this thread of "reasoning":

How threatening could they be if they did not even use them when being invaded by a massive force (of the countries they hate)?!

i responded to this statement early on, twice (actually before you even regurgitated it on this thread, and again on here), and both times you completely ignored my response. how is that "reasoning"? if you have a decent rebuttal to my points, then lets hear it.

from your first post:

Now we're being told that we'll have to be patient and give them time to find them. Why? They said they knew where they were!

again, reinforcing your own fabrication! we never said we knew exactly where they were, yet you somehow pawn off this idea as fact and base a thread on it!

more from post 1:

They are also changing tack and now saying that finding WoMD is not important.

more fabricating.....who said finding wmd wasnt important? i asked you this on page 1, but as usual, i got the old "ignore".

Also, why should we give them the time that they refused to give the weapons inspectors?

another argument that ive addressed, and had my points ignored..........so basically every one of your original points (on this thread) was either completely fabricated, or has been addressed (and youve ignored the responses you have no answer for).......and yet somehow you actually imagine that youve used reasoning and critical thinking to back up your stance all along?? simon, dont fool yourself.....you are so overwhelmed by your emotional feelings on the war, that youve forgotten how to carry on an actual debate.

aa

• dolphman
  • ThiChi
    ThiChi

AlanF

Your actions and tactics are really pathetic. Though you did not address the other examples as provided for context, I will concentrate on your request:

Webster’s Collegiate Thesaurus (ISBN 0-87779-069-8 , indexed):

manipulated:

Manipulate vb

1. Handle

2. Maneuver, wield

3. To Control, or play upon (the sycophant cleverly manipulated his master).

Rel: Machinate, use, control, direct, engineer, manage.

I stand by my word, "controls." You are an intellectual fraud. An honest debater would at least admit a misuse of words and qualify the claims (however, you have context to explain, and the lack of reasons/proof for your claims) I can respect that. But you only offer one fallicy after another.

Let me guess, the Webster’s Thesaurus here cited "is also" "manipulated" "sponsored" by the government, and as such, wields "secrets" that "anyone" can be killed for, and as such, gives a false meaning to the words you use.

Not only the words you use, but the context is there for all to read and decide for themselves.

""ThiChi, the fact that you think "manipulated" means "controlled" shows that you are merely stupid..""

Who used "controlled"? it was "controls," Alan-dip-F. Now, by your own standards, you are what you say I am.

You are some peice of work. Yes, "Manipulated" does mean "Controls"....

• SpannerintheWorks
    SpannerintheWorks

Dolphman,

Thank you for the link, but where does it say that,

it seems as if they've been found.

Spanner

• Jayson
    Jayson

This thread shows the folly of trying to reason with some people, I'm not even going to bother trying.

Most people willing and able to apply come independant critical thinking to the situation can see the reality.

I agree Simon this issue does show the lack of critical thinking that you have on topics such as this.

Did you even take the time to look at any of the sources of information that I asked you to look at?

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002
    the rest of your post is simply a regurgitation of the typical antiwar arguments against the war and bush, etc......and have already been discussed ad naseum, so ill leave that for someone else to pick apart

Pick apart? PUHLEEZE!

It must be very convenient for you to label anything that does not go along with your stance as "simply a regurgitation of antiwar arguments". Let us make one thing clear dubla. I did and still believe Hussein needed to be removed from power. He was a ruthless dictator. However I believe that the American public was misled and given false justification for this war. In my post I was merely pointing out the hypocrisy of the United States government and officials. Yet conveniently I see you decided to not address any of the FACTS I presented. People usually do that when they have no legitimate rebuttal. Instead some prefer to blindly DEFEND AND SUPPORT the questionable actions of a corrupt Administration.

• Trauma_Hound
    Trauma_Hound

Dolphman sez:

HAS ANYBODY BEEN READING THE NEWS LATELY?

it seems as if they've been found.

Which part of Suspected, don't you understand? Still no proof.

• AlanF
    AlanF

ThiChi said:

: Your actions and tactics are really pathetic. Though you did not address the other examples as provided for context,

I do not normally debate with morons. As you so well illustrate, it's a waste of my time. But I'll play along this time and prove that you have little comprehension of the English language, which results in poor reading comprehension. That's why you've completely misunderstood and misrepresented pretty much everything I've said.

Note the bolded words in the material you quoted below:

: I will concentrate on your request:

: Webster’s Collegiate Thesaurus (ISBN 0-87779-069-8 , indexed):

: manipulated:

: 1. Handle

: 2. Maneuver, wield

: 3. To Control, or play upon.

: Rel: Machinate, use, control, direct, engineer, manage.

You obviously see no difference among the bolded words. If you did, you would understand that my use of "manipulated" did not mean "controlled".

I really hate having to educate morons in the subtleties of the English language, but you force me into it. Below I quote some definitions from the online Merriam-Webster dictionary, http://www.m-w.com/dictionary.htm. Note the bolded words, which illustrate the differences between my use of "manipulate" and the basic meanings of "control".

First we have some entries from the dictionary:

*=====*=====*=====*=====*=====*=====*=====*

control

to exercise restraining or directing influence over : REGULATE b : to have power over : RULE

manipulate

to manage or utilize skillfully

to control or play upon by artful, unfair, or insidious means especially to one's own advantage
    to change by artful or unfair means so as to serve one's purpose : DOCTOR

Clearly, to manipulate is more subtle than to outright control.

Here are complete entries from the thesaurus:

Entry Word: manipulate
    Function: verb
    Text: 1
    Synonyms HANDLE 2, dispense, maneuver, ply, swing, wield
    2 to control or play upon by artful, unfair, or insidious means <the sycophant cleverly manipulated his master>
    Synonyms beguile, exploit, finesse, jockey, maneuver, play; ENGINEER
    Related Word machinate, use; conduct, control, direct, engineer, manage

Entry Word: control
    Function: verb
    Text: 1
    Synonyms COMPOSE 4, collect, contain, cool, re-collect, rein, repress, restrain, simmer down, smother
    Related Word adjust, regulate; curb, master, quell, subdue
    Synonyms GOVERN 3, direct, dominate, handle, manage
    Related Word regulate, supervise; discipline

From the above, it should be obvious that when I said that the news media is manipulated by government, I did not mean controlled, regulated, supervised, directed, dominated, governed, or ruled by. On the contrary, I meant managed, used, played upon, doctored, handled, maneuvered, beguiled, exploited, finessed, jockeyed, machinated. I meant it in the same way that the above example in the thesaurus does: "the sycophant cleverly manipulated his master". That means that he fooled his master into doing what he wanted; he did not control his master, or he would have been the master.

Of course, I don't really expect you to understand such subtleties of language, but I've tried to get the point across.

: I stand by my words.

Unfortunately so.

: You are an intellectual fraud.

I think readers can see who is the fraud.

: And honest debater would at least admit a misuse of words and qualify the claims, I can respect that.

Quite so. Then you should do it.

: But you only offer one fallicy after another.

That's pretty funny, coming from someone who doesn't know the difference between "manipulate" and "control", and can't even spell a simple word like "fallacy".

AlanF

• shamus
    shamus

Don't worry, Simon.... (brown nose, brown noser...shamus..)

I just saw on the snews last night (In Canada) that they are scaling back the search for WoMD... why? Because they admit that they can't find any, and people are starting to get pissed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit