WoMD ... so where are they?

by Simon 865 Replies latest social current

• Realist
    Realist

alanf,

true nobody is surprised about the govs lying....what is surprising is the primitive way the US did it. so painfully obvious.

they are a bright, educated and resilient people with a progressive tradition.

not really. in general they are poorly educated, not very resiliant (like all arabs) and without a progressive tradition (with the exception of the mid 60ties to early 80ties).

if the US lets the iraqis develop thir own gov than it will end with a fundamentalist regime.

instead the US will most likely establish a puppet regime that serves the interests of the US oil companies and doesn'T pose a threat to israel.

6of9,

because halliburton was awarded the right to build the oil producing facilities.

• patio34
    patio34

The US companies will do much of the cleanup and get things going again, right down to textbooks for the schools. Meantime, they rake in all the profits. The Iraqis maybe get a job, but the US corporations reap the profits (war profiteering). Meanwhile, the taxpayers footed the bill while Bush's friends in the oil businesses get the profits.

It matters a great deal that Bush lied to the American people to get his war--it's an impeachable offense.

It matters too that the US illegally attacked a defenseless country in order to "set them free." If the US were so concerned about the alleged suffering of these people, why hasn't it rescued other nations who suffer?

The US gets a great deal of control over the second-largest oil fields in the world. That has everything to do with why it "liberated" the Iraqis.

The Iraqis no doubt could have overthrown Hussein themselves if they hadn't been subjected to murderous sanctions for the past 12 years.

Pat

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I'm sure Hallibutons contract was less than competative and will be extremely profitable for them. It's certainly good-ole-boy-ism at it's worst, or at least has the appearance of that if it isn't.

But it is a far cry from "having" Iraq's oil.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    The Iraqis no doubt could have overthrown Hussein themselves if they hadn't been subjected to murderous sanctions for the past 12 years.

Pat, I think that is a pat-ently ridiculous statement, and if you don't know why, clear your agenda and take another look. You don't overthrow Saddam Husseins.

And when the healthy looking Saddam Hussein decided to step down 20 years from now, he had two equally murderous son to take his place.

• searchfothetruth
    searchfothetruth

realist/patio

The war will creat profit, exactly right and Haliburton is raking it in.

6 of 9

Your quite right, old boys network working as usual, but the whole world can see it and thats the worrying point, why so blatant?

There are higher stakes that we don't know about and thats what is worrying me.

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

Six of Nine: A cutie and brains LOL YEA SIX

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    why so blatant?

Well, jmo, but I think it's because it simply isn't as big a deal as you make it out to be. The work does have to be done. For that matter, it had to be done even w/o the war, to a large extent.

As well, may I remind you, there was no coalition of the willing*, as we here in Texas are so fond of saying, lol. Just hard reality at play. I think the UN would have done well to get behind this war. Then again, I find it outrageous that countries like Iraq are even allowed to stay members of the UN.

Having said all that, I wish there was a non-texas, perhaps even non-american based company getting the work.

bold, italic, yellow, and underlined. it's like a fetish, but different.

• patio34
    patio34

Hi Six,

Whether Saddam could have been overthrown by Iraq or not is tangential to the main points of the reasons for the invasion. Sorry I digressed. Of course, it would have been hard to overthrow him before 1990 as the US was providing support and weaponry etc to him, even while he was gassing the Kurds. Then after the extreme sanctions began, it would have been impossible to overthrow him. But dictators are overthrown commonly, it's not a farfetched statement. It's mainly that the US interference prevented it.

As far as Bush lying about WMDs, there's much to be said about having a leader in a democratic country who lies to the people in order to launch such an invasion. This has been proven to be an unprovoked invasion rather than a preemptive strike as there was evidently no threat to the US. To be lied to in such a manner should make us feel very uneasy in a democracy. To be patriotic means to stand up to what the country is for--not what a particular administration is pushing, lying for.

Then it occurs to me that some people just don't care. They're caught up in the propaganda Bush and Company peddle and don't need any evidence. Even when no evidence comes forth, they just shift the reason for the war. And some people just don't care. They don't want to remember the lies they've been told.

All of this sets a very dangerous precedent. It's my opinion that I don't want to fall for whatever is fed me so that horrific acts can be committed in my name. To me, that's being patriotic--not letting an individual, even if he is president, get away with murder.

It also occurs to me that it's not unlike the WTS saying whatever the hell they please, and people are to just shut up and go along with the program.

I'm pretty concerned that Bush and Cheney, et al are wheeling and dealing with the oil and other industries in Iraq. That they may be selling out Iraq inch by inch. When the people finally get their government, they may find they don't control much. Much may have been privatised by American corporations.

I just don't swallow it. First it was WMDs and the threat they posed; then it was regime change (imagine the horror in every other country that thinks Bush may wish for a regime-change! Bush has declared war on terrorists--there are many countries on his possible hit list); then it was free the Iraqis (Operation Iraqi Liberation--OIL).

Pat

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    But dictators are overthrown commonly, it's not a farfetched statement.

I think it is farfetched in the extreme. I think you must be closing your eyes to the reality of Saddam Hussein.

• Realist
    Realist

6of9,

fact is that much of the suffering of the iraqi people was caused by the US lead sancions against iraq. hussein was bad but he had made iraq a modern sacular country....thus he was not all bad.

iraq will get a small share of the money and the big revenues will be made by halliburton and other US companies...that was the plan all the time.

just like patio said...iraq is giving its oil and the US citizens are giving their tax money so that some bastards can get just a little richer...and israel a little more powerful in the region.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit