JW Parents refuse to have 8yr old back after transfusion

by ISP 43 Replies latest jw friends

• ISP
    ISP
    25 Jan 1996 : Column 1162 to the noble Baroness, Lady Faithfull, if this was a matter with which she had to deal. I do so because it actually happened in Oxford.

The child of two Jehovah's Witnesses aged eight was knocked down, severely injured and was bleeding to death. The parents refused to sign the form giving permission for a blood transfusion, as they would because of their religion. A judge was summoned to the child's bedside; a care order was made; the transfusion was given, and the child recovered. However, the parents refused to have the child back because they said that it was no longer the same child.

I believe that the judge and the hospital in that case did right. However, it goes to show quite how much one must pause and consider the unknown reactions that may arise. If one attempts to enforce access with a legal big stick, the reaction of one or the other parent may be quite unpredictable. Such a generalised discretion as the one suggested would, perhaps, force the court to run upon a waterfall. I believe that it should have discretion to hold back from that waterfall if it sees fit.

This is an excerpt from Hansard. Does anyone know any more on this subject? Poor kid. Gets knocked down. Parents want the child dead......when the child has life saving treatment...the parents don't want the child back?!

ISP

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I'd like to buy a clue, please... who is "Hansard"?

I too would like to see further documentation of this, and perhaps an update on what became of the child since 1996...

Please... anyone???

• ISP
    ISP

http://www.parliament.the-stationery-office.co.uk/pa/ld199697/ldhansrd/pdvn/lds03/text/30120-23.htm

Hansard is the record of the UK Parliament. I'll find the debate in question if I can.

ISP

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Thank you, ISP, for advancing my education...

So then I take it is similar to the US Congressional Record?

Is that correct?

Why is it called "Hansard"?

• ISP
  • ISP
  • Kaethra
    Kaethra

Oh come on! Is this for real? (BTW...I can't get to the link you posted ISP.)

• ISP
    ISP

That last link does work. you can see the comments re JW parents etc in context.

ISP

• ISP
    ISP

It is for real, Kaethra. check out the last link.

Best

ISP

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Thanks again, ISP!

For the benefit of your dumb cousins (like me) on the left side of the Atlantic...

Background info: The Official Report (Hansard) is an edited verbatim report of proceedings in the Chamber, in Westminster Hall and in Standing Committees. Members of Parliment (MPs') words are reported with repetitions and redundancies omitted and with obvious mistakes corrected, but nothing is left out which adds to the meaning of the speech or illustrates the argument.

It is published in printed form at 7.30 am and appears on this website at 8.00 am.

It was first produced by Thomas Curson Hansard as a private commercial venture from the early 1800s, and was first published as an official document in 1909. It has appeared on this web site since 1996.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit