What parents need to know...

by SheilaM 55 Replies latest jw friends

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Laura, we have even more in common because I have been told by my doctor that I may have ADD and /or Bipolar II,,,,,,,because of my hyperactivity, mood swings, lack of concentration, etc. etc. I am sure you know all what I am talking about.

I had a doctor put me on Adderall several months ago, but decided it wasnt worth the expense and I didnt want to be addicted to anything right now.

The medication, never made me feel high, in fact my doctor laughed when I told him I got sleepy and he said that was very common for people with ADD, as it is a stimulant that works the opposite for us hyper folks.

I am either , going 90 miles an hour or I am crashed on the bed. I have always been this way , but didnt know it , and now alot of my childhood lack of sleeping is explained now. I never got in trouble or acting out , for fear of my life and beatings by my dad.

Did ya'll know that now they have a new disorder recognized by the AMA(?) ODD?? not sure if that is what it is, but it is even worse than ADD for kids. It is a child that rebels all authority, fights, harms others, curses,,,,,and lose all forms of self control and anger,,,,,,,,yet still be highly intelligent??

This sounds alot like Chance, even more than ADD. That is what scares me to death, is the fearlessness, lack of concern over consequences of actions, the actual harm they can cause on themselves and others is frightening.

Every year they come up with some new disorder , and I am not sure that one disorder is just not a manifestation of an already exsisting disorder. I read that Bipolar and ADD run so close in symptoms that doctors think they may actually be the same thing, or so close because of the way the brain looks in scans and the brain chemicals.

Really , non us can say we know alot about these disorders, by reading we can get someones opinon and then the doctors just change it later.

What we as parents DO know is that our children have SOME kind of chemical imbalance going on,,,,, and finding the right kind of treatment , be it meds, behavorior modification, or both,,,,,,,,, is a challange.

There is no doubt in my mind that my son , has problems that have been with him for along time, and will probably be like me in alot of ways and have this to deal with as he grows up. At least we as parents can learn all we can, keep an open mind, a watchful eye on our kids, and work with them thru it all with love and patience...........lol.......which can be VERY hard sometimes, but worth it.

When they are sleeping soundly and you see them trying so hard to be good or do the right thing, you know it is a great effort and maybe a little harder for them than your other kids......... and this makes you love them even more for at least trying to please us.

Thanks RN for that link, I will file that just in case next year Chance needs meds in school...... hugssss Dede

• LDH
    LDH

How many children, exactly, do you have, Derek?

I would suggest you go back and read Six's words veeerrrryyy slllllooooowwwly.

As science finds out more and more about the way the brain works, we will probably ALL be correctly identified with some sort of disorder.

The human body is not perfect.

My brother is a textbook case of ADHD; to make matters worse---as one of the posters correctly stated---there WAS no such diagnosis 25 years ago. His school years were painful and ugly as "educators" tried to convince my parents that he was "retarded." Um-Hum. My parents fought the school district for YEARS and their plight was only compounded by being JWs and already being thought of as wierd.

He is still paying the emotional price of being treated as a "bad child"--how sad.

I hope we CONTINUE to properly diagnose disorders and develop treatment plans.

'Nuf Said.

Lisa

You won't know till you've been there, Class

• Mystery
    Mystery

Lyin Eyes . ---"I read that Bipolar and ADD run so close in symptoms that doctors think they may actually be the same thing, or so close because of the way the brain looks in scans and the brain chemicals."--- (sorry I still haven't figured out the quote color thing)

Is your doctor saying that you have both? I was understood "our doc" to say that ADHD & Bi-Polar II ran along the same lines. The violent part of my son was more toward the Bi-Polar & the lack of concentration, going 90mph or crashing was toward the ADHD side.

Any suggetions for the questions I can ask the doc's? Has anyone had any specific test that I can request to get his problem diagnosed completely or as close as possible?

A boy in our area killed his parents a few years back, if I remember correctly he used an ax and then went after his broher and sister. I don't remember all of the facts... i can look them up if someone wants to know them....
    Point is that the doctor this boy was seeing was the same doctor that my son "was" seeing. He reminded us of this incident and told us that the boy was in the III/IV Stage of Bi-Polar and that he had warned the parents about the violence of the boy and they chose to ignore it. He told us that our son was in the II Stage of Bi-Polar. So guess what i go to sleep of and dream at night?

I don't want thrown into a catagory. I want to know what is out there that can properly diagnose my son.

• Shakita
    Shakita

My son's friend was on Ritalin for many years. His mother would tell me horrific stories of her son coming after family members with a knife threatening to kill them. This was when this child was in elementary school. Ritalin was a life saver for this family. This child is now a young adult and has recently stopped taking the meds. He is a heathly, thriving seventeen year old. His story could have ended up being a nightmare if it was not for medical intervention.

Mrs. Shakita

• freedom96
    freedom96

I think it is safe to say that before taking any medication it should be checked out thouroughly. That being said, there have been many life saving changes made because of taking the right medication. For some it will work, others no. For some, a blessing.

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

SixofNine, Mystery, freedom96, and bittersweet. Sorry to have ruffled any feathers.

I agree with funkyderick when he said.

But isn't that what's being done, that every child who can't pay attention is being 'lumped into a group' and diagnosed as having ADD/ADHD?

The point I was trying to make is the propensity of a lot of teachers to label all overly active kids as ADD/ADHD.

I am sure Ritalin, and other medications can make noticeable improvements, when other methods fail, but I have a distrust for Drug Manufacturers, who "push" their products to Doctors and J.Q. Public to keep their stockholders happy, and profit margins healthy.

To bittersweet. In the case of my son, that is occasionally the problem. But the teachers, and their assistants, do not always seem to have the time to be able to review his work, and assign him other assignments, so he gets rambunctious, and that's when we have to remind him, that he has a responsibility to respect the teachers wishes, and behave himself. If not, we deal with it at home in a non corporal manner.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    Here is an extreme example of how silly the mindset is that this is not real: Imagine someone saying that AIDS is not really all that it is cracked up to be. I mean, after all, 25 years ago no one had it so it must not be real. When we cannot find the cure we just lump everyone into the AIDS catagory because we have no answers.

The difference is that AIDS is caused by a virus. There's an easy, accurate way to test if someone has HIV/AIDS. If the virus isn't in their bloodstream, whatever they've got is not AIDS.

The same is not true of ADD/ADHD. Diagnosis is usually made on the basis of behaviour and thus anyone who behaves in a certain way can be diagnosed as having ADD/ADHD.

• Mystery
    Mystery

Not being able to find "right" answers are flusterating to those of us trying to find the truth.

Kids being "lumped" into a catagory really upsets me.

My youngest son, now 13, was diagnosed with ADD (I think) they wanted him on Ritlan, but I refused. Upon further digging his problem was not that he didn't want to pay attention or learn, it was that he had lost 70% of hearing in one of his ears and 50% in his other ear. He "couldn't hear" in his 1st & 2nd year of school. I didn't notice, I though he was just a quiet child, his brother did all of his talking for him. He subconsciencely learned what I wanted from him with my gestures (I always had points "taken off" for not gesturing during my talks! Anyone remember that?) After getting my son a hearing aide he learned to read and pay attention.

This turned me off to diagnosis/drugs before my oldest began showing real signs of violence, disrespect and anger.

For those of us trying to find answers it is just really flusterating when people say "if you had of just disciplined....beat....grounded....not let him hang out with so & so...etc....... he wouldn't be this way. Let me have him for a few days, he will come back a different person." I have several friends that I will not talk to about my son because of their ignorance in the real problem (see above). They ask me about him and I just say "he's fine".

Still searching for real answers....

Deborah

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

AHDH really exists; a guy at work has it. He is dilligent and polite if he's on meds (which he was only started on eight months ago), but has the attention span of a stunned rabbit and a bad attitude when he forgets. I saw the change when he started taking them.

That doesn't mean that EVERY kid diagnosed with ADHD actaully has it. It is unfortunately sometimes used as a magic bullet, even when the problem isn't ADHD.

My girlfriend teaches and I've been through teacher training. We've met kids who were stupid (it does happen even if it is non PC to say), kids who were starved of attention, kids who didn't care or were mean for no (apparent) reason, kids who would far rather be under a car than in a Science class... and kids who go from being virtually unreachable to fully engaged students IF they take their pills.

In time hopefully brain chemistry will be less of a shot in the dark and there will be non-subjective diagnosis.

• Sara Annie
    Sara Annie
    It amazes me that someone can jump to conclusions on someone's education and personal experience and be so damned self-righteous

I'm sorry, Sheila, I wasn't actually referring to you--but I didn't make that clear. I was referring to a few of the other posts that unilaterally declared positions on ADHD medication as bad (with only secondary experience), and that legitimate behavioral issues were due to parental and teacher laziness. That really got under my skin, and I lashed out. Please accept my apology.

Since we're telling our stories, let me share mine:

My seven year old son is quite a young man. He began to read shortly before his fourth birthday. He just picked up a book at the Library, said to my husband: "Daddy, I can read this to you" and proceeded to do so. We were flabbergasted. We had always read to him, since his birth, but hadn't 'taught' him to read. At four he was reading at a third grade level, his math skills were astonishing--he could perform simple algebraic operations with seemingly no effort (no x's and y's mind you, just everyday applications: We have 10 apples, Daddy has 2, you have 3, how many does Mom have?, etc.), and had such a grasp of computer functions that more than once he downloaded wallpaper and screensavers from his favorite kid-friendly internet sites and installed them--much the chagrin of his father! We were encouraged to start him in school before his fifth birthday, but after much consideration we declined. Yes, he was very smart, yes his reading comprehension levels were well above his age group, but at the same time, he still thought that if he put a pillowcase over his head that we couldn't see him. :) We waited a year, and by that time our kindergartener was reading and comprehending at a sixth grade level. His math skills were solidly 4th grade, and it seemed that he was destined for academic success.

Kindergarten was no problem. He was a little flighty, but aren't they all? With the switch to a more structured environment in first grade, we found that the same child who was so intelligent was having a great deal of trouble accomplishing tasks in class. He wasn't a distraction in class, he simply couldn't start and complete most of the very simple tasks that the other children had no trouble with. At first we chocked it up to the fact that he was simply bored with the work at hand. Why would my 6 year old who had read all of the Harry Potter books be interested in "See Jane Run"? We would reason that it wasn't important to finish coloring a picture of a rabbit as it was to read all about rabbits, what they ate, where they lived, and how they interacted with each other. We altered the content of his studies, and while he absorbed the information, he still didn't finish papers, projects or writing assignments. When one of his teachers suggested we might want to read up on ADHD, I was dismissive, even offended. My child wasn't hyper. He was not a distraction to anyone else in class, he wasn't incapable of high-level work. He could concentrate for hours on things he enjoyed, so he certainly wasn't incapable of concentration. He was simply stubborn, we thought, and we'd take care of that problem.

We changed strategies, using negative reinforcement as a tool. If his work wasn't finished in class, he worked on it when the other children went out to recess. If he still didn't finish it, he brought it home and he spent his evening, the whole evening if necessary, completing the work. It was very frustrating. He knew the answer to every question, had no trouble with the work itself, but I would watch him drop his pencil 12 times on purpose, take 5 minutes to write a simple sentence, and sometimes just sit and stare off into space. We couldn't understand what the problem was. When a privilige would be taken away, we could see how much it bothered our son. He knew of the consequences, was very upset by them, but still couldn't seem to get his work done. It was clear that this strategy wasn't working, and in the process we watched our happy, smart, charming little boy become more and more withdrawn and upset with himself.

One night after my husband and I had met with his teacher to go over his progress, we began to tell our son over dinner that his teacher had reported that he was still not improving, that his work was far below his abilities, and that she had discussed some more ideas to get him to perform better with us. I remember him, eyes downcast, looking up at us and asking in the tiniest voice "Did she say anything good about me?". I will never forget that moment. It was in that second that I realized that my assertion that my little boy was simply stubborn was absolutely incorrect. I went out on the internet and researched ADHD, it's various manifestations and symptoms, read everything I could find. The next day, I made an appointment with a behavioral psychologist with the local children's hospital. In our first meeting, the Dr. asked him what it was like for him in school when he was trying to do his work. He thought about it for a moment, and then said "It's like my brain is a big dog on a leash and I have to hold the chain really tight because mostly he just wants to run around and chase cats and bark at cars, and most of the time I just can't hold on tight enough." I thought that was a pretty great way to describe what was going on in his head.

After extensive testing, requiring the coordination of clinicial, school setting and home setting observation, he was eventually diagnosed as ADHD-Inattentive. We explored all avenues of possible treatment. When we began to discuss medication, I had some issues. I had done extensive reading about the different medications available, and wanted to be sure that we weren't simply medicating to take the "easy" way out. We opted for a time-released 24 hour medicine that was non-cumulative in nature (went in and out of the body quickly) and taken only once a day, combined with extensive positive reinforcement and directed behavior techniques. Still, I was apprehensive about the drug therapy. I cannot even convey to you what an immediate difference the medicine made in his life. The very first day, he came home all smiles, thrilled because he didn't have ONE incomplete assignment to bring home that night. We were so proud of him, and even more importantly, he was proud of himself. Combined with positive reinforcement, he has had remarkable results with the medication. He has been able to work to his potential, has become actively involved in our school district's excellent gifted program, and is a happy, healthy 7 year old. We are hopeful that the medicine, combined with behavioral strategies, will continue to be sucessful, and that in the next few years we can work toward weaning off of the drug therapy when appropriate.

It was, and continues to be, a very challenging journey. I am so thankful that the resources to help our son on his road to success were available, and that we didn't close ourselves off to them for some misguided notion that all of his behavior was just a product of laziness or a stubborn nature, or our lack of parental involvement or skill. Had we closed ourselves off to the options available, we might have wasted years in a pointless, frustrating struggle.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit