What parents need to know...

by SheilaM 55 Replies latest jw friends

• Sara Annie
    Sara Annie
    For the fourth time I will say that it amazes me that all the information that there is on ADHD etc. You ignore that not just one source was cited.

This thread began with, and all of the subsequent replies were added because of, a numerical list of inflammatory assertions about the validity of ADHD as a disorder and the evils of the drug Ritalin. I was not ignoring that other sources were cited, I was presenting background information about the source of the of the primary, and only, information presented as "What parents need to know".

Also just because one is a Scientoligst does not make one wrong,

While I agree that the mere fact that someone embraces loony religious ideology doesn't make all of the information they present incorrect, the source of the data and the motives for presenting it become VERY important if that source has as one of the very religious 'tenets' that ALL psychiatric medicine is a sham, and that no psychological therapy or doctor-prescribed drug treatment is ever appropriate. (Except their own crackpot psychological 'training', of course) In the same way that I would not give any credit to a list of evils perpetrated by non-whites written by a white supremacist group, or a list of reasons why common religious organizations are bad written by the Watchtower, I choose to look to information without such a blatant bias for statistics on ADHD and common medications.

unlike the dubs most scientilogists are educated, many are Dr.'s etc.

Most are? Even if that were remotely true, it still doesn't lend any credibility to their seriously crazy belief system. The "Dr." on the Montel williams show was an Osteopath. That's a glofied way to say "Chirpractor", and I wouldn't take advice from my chiropractor about my child's psychological condition any more than I'd let my hairdresser tell me what was wrong with my plumbing. The fact that there are scientologists out there with impressive degrees proves that even smart people can be duped into believing very stupid things.

Scientology is a mid-20th century created 'religion' that founded by a third-rate science fiction writer with no credentials who's gigantic collection of incoherent, bizarre stories and essays are used as the 'scriptures' for it's followers. (If you think C.T. Russell's writings were loony, just take a look at this guy's prose...) From some of his sketches on a few sheets of paper, they believe that, and I swear I'm not making this up, that millions of years ago there was an overpopulation problem in a remote sector of the galaxy so a guy named "Xenu" took several million beings and placed them on two of earth's mountain tops and detonated a hydrogen bomb under each of them. The theory is that all people on earth have several of these exterminated souls within them, and they use a mind-weakening process called "auditing" to expel them from the body, thus eventually leaving the person with only their own soul inside of them. People spend tens of thousands of dollars to progress through the 'levels' of training and some even sign "one-million year" contracts to receive their auditing training for free in return for their work for the organization. The 'church' is wealthy beyond the point that the Watchtower could ever DREAM of being, and runs numerous organizations that are all fronts for their ludicrous beliefs. I suggest you take a look at a few ex-scientologist web sites, the stories there make a lot of ex-jw stories sound like a day a the beach.

The point is that the initial posted information, due to it's origins, is immediately suspect and not worthy of my trust. There are several other sources that are more credible out there, and I am not making any claims to their validity or lack thereof.

(I'm having a hell of a time lately with formatting issues...)

• SheilaM
    SheilaM
    The "Dr." on the Montel williams show was an Osteopath. That's a glofied way to say "Chirpractor", and I wouldn't take advice from my chiropractor about my child's psychological condition any more than I'd let my hairdresser tell me what was wrong with my plumbing. The fact that there are scientologists out there with impressive degrees proves that even smart people can be duped into believing very stupid things

NO an osteopath is a full medical doctor that also is taught to look at the body as a whole, the do adjustments and also will do more homeopathic type of care. They ACTUALLY are very good doctors the are DO this again was something that you can type in search and find out the correct information before citing something inflammatory and totally incorrect. Secondly a "chiropractor" kept Thunder from having to have back surgery so the condecending attitude against them is WRONG. But since a DO is a medical doctor I guess when you found the article you ASSUMED you knew what a DO is?

What's a DO?

According to the American Osteopathic Association (AOA), osteopathic medicine is a complete system of healthcare with a philosophy that combines the needs of the patient with the current practice of medicine. Doctors of osteopathic medicine (DOs) practice a whole-person approach, which means they consider both the physical and mental needs of their patients. In other words, they treat people instead of symptoms. For instance, during a typical office visit, a DO might ask your child about her home and school environments when assessing her overall health.

This "holistic" approach to healthcare was actually developed by an American MD. Dr. Andrew Taylor Still feared that 19 th -century medicine was doing more harm than good. Disgusted at the ineffectiveness of fellow practitioners during the Civil War, he decided to focus on the body's ability to heal itself and began to stress preventive medicine. He also identified the musculoskeletal system as a key element of health, stressing that muscles, nerves, bones, and organs are all interrelated. In 1892, Dr. Still founded the American School of Osteopathy in Kirksville, Missouri.

In the US Osteopaths spend time in hospital residency in the same way as Doctors, and indeed many go on to become surgeons. http://www.osteopathonline.com/Schools/index.htm

• Sara Annie
    Sara Annie
    Secondly a "chiropractor" kept Thunder from having to have back surgery so the condecending attitude against them is WRONG.

I did not post anything condescending toward chiropractors. I love my chiropractor. I feel great after I go to him, and he totally helped control this evil headache I had after a bicycle accident last year. I just wouldn't go to him to diagnose anything that didn't involve my spinal column and it's alignment as related to my comfort.

NO an osteopath is a full medical doctor that also is taught to look at the body as a whole, the do adjustments and also will do more homeopathic type of care. They ACTUALLY are very good doctors the are DO this again was something that you can type in search and find out the correct information before citing something inflammatory and totally incorrect.

I did do some reading on DO's after I read the article yesterday, and the information I read (very similar to what you posted) sounded to me pretty much like pop-science (sounds an awful lot like Chriorpactic medicine to me-Chirpractic discipline claims to be able to link everything from liver disease to mental instability by cracking your back, too). I am willing to say that I wouldn't disregard an osteopath's opinion in general, I don't reject holistic medicine as a discipline, nor did I ever say that I did. I also wouldn't blatantly disregard every DO's opinion on ADHD. But do I disregard what this specific doctor, asserting strong anti-pscychology sentiment due to her affiliation with The 'Church' of Scientology says? Yes, I do. Her agenda can't be trusted, and therefore her information is automatically suspect.

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

I think the moral of this thread is to be an expert on your child and be an expert on whatever disorder they are being diagnosed/misdiagnosed with. Do your research and know the sources and whether, or not, they have an agenda. Do not be intimidated by "experts" and school officials. End the end, you and your child are going to have the live with the decisions that are going to be made.

Both of my children had the ADHD label batted around them. Especially my daughter. She was speech and developmentally delayed. I got every book that I could find on the subject. What I found interesting is how the bar as being lowered over the years as to what exactly constitutes ADHD. My daughter was tested by three different people. Two concluded no ADHD, and the other did. I took all of the information and made decisions that I thought were in the best interests of my duaghter.

My son was also hyperactive with a speech and language delay. ADHD was whispered around him. I would hear none of it. Because that label gets stuck to them like super glue through out their school years. There is a lowered expectation of behavior and academics. School has been OK for him. He does have gross and fine motor skill challenges, like my daughter did. He becomes frustrated when he struggles doing things that other kids do with ease. Still, academically he is doing just fine with no hyperactivity at school. But, if his behavior and concentration were to become an issue, I would consider medication to help him if behavior modification wasn't doing enough.

What I do know is that I have two very sensitive and intense children. Home life can be very interesting at my house sometimes. This determines how I interact with, give praise, and discipline, them.

To quote Bill Cosby: "I just wanted some children to send to college". (sigh)

Andee

• Sara Annie
    Sara Annie
    I think the moral of this thread is to be an expert on your child and be an expert on whatever disorder they are being diagnosed/misdiagnosed with. Do your research and know the sources and whether, or not, they have an agenda. Do not be intimidated by "experts" and school officials. End the end, you and your child are going to have the live with the decisions that are going to be made.

Hallelujah, Amen, Right-on, and "What Andee said!"

• SheilaM
    SheilaM
    I think the moral of this thread is to be an expert on your child and be an expert on whatever disorder they are being diagnosed/misdiagnosed with. Do your research and know the sources and whether, or not, they have an agenda. Do not be intimidated by "experts" and school officials. End the end, you and your child are going to have the live with the decisions that are going to be made

BeautifulG:

EXACTLY, I'm glad you understood the point of this thread.

I wish the best to you and your kids as I said Anthony has done a 180 and READS "who woulda thunk it"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit