What Most Needs to be Changed

by jst2laws 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

My issues, I have often reflected on and commented on the issues of what I believe the most devastating Watchtower policies: 1 Unscriptural and incomprehensible Blood Policy 2 Child Molester protection policy 3 Disfellowshipping policy (silencing thought and speech) However, I wonder if there is not a separate teaching that makes these three dogmas so devastating, that validates these most harmful teachings: The "Faithful and Discreet Slave" class that speaks for God. Is it not true that non of the above teachings would be so binding or harmful if JW's felt they had a right to decide for themselves how to apply Bible principles without serious consequences for not conforming to the GB (God Bonafide) teaching? What do you think? Jst2laws

• NaruNaruChan
    NaruNaruChan

I selfishly want to say that the disfellowshipping policy needs to change, but... I would have to say the blood issue first, because people are DYING... then the pedophile one, because that's just bullshit that they protect pedophiles. Perv's need to be stomped... and then disfellowshipping.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Jst2laws

Ulimately I think the teaching that they alone have the right to determine what the Bible means and then to exert "authority" over the members bears the greatest influence over the JWs. Without this "authority" they have nothing. People would be free to make choices based on personal conscience. They use this "authority" to control and manipulate, to instill fear of elders, the society and of God. They use this "authority" when it suits them to claim divine inspiration and renounce it when that suits them. They are able to flip-flop on their teachings without the members objections because they always claim they alone have this "authority". Remove the authority and the whole thing would collapse.

I think that for most of us who have left one we realize that the society does not have divine authority they have no hold on us and are free.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Postured authority is a common denominator among cultic religious groups. The Watchtower ought to have a patent on it. The supposed authority that God has given to the fallacious and deceitful slave is really is the heart and soul of JW world, I would think this would be the last doctrine they would consider dropping. It is the iron fist.

They ain't gonna change.

• blondie
    blondie
    The "Faithful and Discreet Slave" class that speaks for God.

Jst2lws, this is the most devastating one. It is the foundation (authority) for all the other rules/directives/suggestions/etc that exist now and will exist. After all, God the WTS cannot lie and does not make mistakes. Blondie

• Simon
    Simon

I think the disfellowshipping / shunnig one as it underpins a lot of the other sanctions and really give the "power" they need to perform all the other abuses (while it in itself is an abuse)

Without the DFing/DAing and shunning, would they have got away with the blood policy? ... with the pedophile policy?

• Ed
    Ed

Get rid of the last one, and the first two would probably take care of themselves.

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

NaruNaruChan

Perv's need to be stomped... and then disfellowshipping.

I understand the feelings you express. However, I am more concerned with reporting the "perv" so the victim gets help (almost never obtained under present WT policy). Whether or not he gets stomped is secondary to me but understandable. He needs help too. Or jail. Whatever it takes to prevent any further harm. Whatever it takes I can related to the term "stomped", it covers it all.

DanTheMan,

fallacious and deceitful slave

I have been absent lately, but that is the first time I have seen that. Very Good for you or who ever came up withy it.

LadyLee,

They use this "authority" to control and manipulate, to instill fear of elders, the society and of God.

I agree. The control is the problem. The Faithful and Discreet Slave dogma is the basis of their authority, their Disfellowshipping policy is the tool they use through their judicial committees. It amounts to the legislative, judiciary and the executive branchs of "governing" with the foundation of authority laid not on a constitution as in secular government but Divine Right of the religious ELECT.

If the authority were to be underminded the tools to enforce would disappear.

Nice to talk again LadyLee

Jst2laws

Jst2laws

• Mystery
    Mystery

I agree with Simon & Ed.

If the DF policy was changed, so much would crumble. By shunning, the congeration is still "safe" from corruption.

By anyone voicing their opinion or just asking a logical questions are immediately brought under suspension (at least at my hall they were). I remember my dad not letting me associate with certain families, because they weren't "completely" in the truth yet. I remember someone questioning the blood policy when I was pretty young. I don't remeber them staying around long.

I always knew which family was going to "be in trouble" because a week or 2 before I wouldn't be allowed to associate with them. (My dad was an elder)

When I questioned my father regarding DFing, he would either ignore me or put it off saying "it is Jehovahs way of keeping the organization clean". That was the heaviest that weighed on my mind.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    Ultimately I think the teaching that they alone have the right to determine what the Bible means and then to exert "authority" over the members bears the greatest influence over the JWs. Without this "authority" they have nothing.

I must agree with this wholeheartedly. As we've expressed many times, they've taken the place of God himself by this teaching i.e. personification of God in the "FDS", read organisation. They've also supplanted the role of Jesus himself as our mediator with the FDS.

An onerous teaching and an odious one!

Cheers to you, Ozzie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit