Should the US & Canada use the same currency?

by JH 46 Replies latest jw friends

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Pleasuredome

The Canadian dollar is its own currency with its own central bank, that sets interest rates etc.

Like most countries around the world: it has its own currency.

It has an exchange rate that is different depending upon the country you wish to change it into. For example: Canadian dollars converted to US dollars - the rate will vary. Same if I wish to exchange my Canadian dollar for either the UK Pound, or Euro. The list goes on (name any country).

i cant remember if the canadian dollar is linked to the US dollar, but if it is, i'd want to change to using the Euro pretty quick.

Any reason why you'd change it to Euro, if you were using Canadian currency. Just curious. It's an interesting statement, but isn't clear.

Canadian dollar is accepted around the globe in many places. If it isn't used in day to day trading, it can be exchanged for the agreed upon rate set by that country's bank.

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Englishman

Here is a picture of the Canadian Two Dollar coin:

In case you cannot make out the critter in the centre, it's a polar bear.

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

rayzor

what i meant was that the value of the canadian dollar is linked to the US dollar, not that it is the US dollar. i know the australian dollar, and other currencies are linked, but wasnt sure if the canadian dollar is.

• Simon
    Simon

The new Canadian currency is quite "pretty" and very like the UK notes. Queen on the back as well.

I don't think Canada woudl be so daft as to adopt the dollar. It's one of the things that makes them distinct and able to manage their own destiny.

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Gotcha' Pleasuredome!

With the US being our biggest trade partner, no surprise, our dollar is linked, but of course, its own currency.

You'll constantly hear it said: 'The Canadian dollar (Loonie) is worth 68.45 cents US'.

Thanks

• Simon
    Simon

The one dollar is called a "Loonie" (because the bird on it is a loon?)

On a two dollar is a bear with the queen's head on the other side so instead of the "Toonie" it should be called a "Moonie" ... because it has the queen with a bear (bare) behind.

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

SIMON...

too funny

• Maverick
    Maverick

There are countries that use the US dollar as their national currency so it would not suprise me to see an Americas currency linked to the US standard. I admit the US paper money is not very colorful. The AU$ and Canadian monies are cool looking and are designed a lot nicer that the dirty looking US$. When I was in Australia I got used to not having a one cent piece or the single dollar. I liked the two dollar coin. It seemed logical to break down the denominations the way they did it. My only problem was doing the conversions from AU$/US$. And figuring out gas prices. When is Britain going over to the Euro? There are quite a few countries that are holding back from enbracing this form of currency. Maverick

• blondie
    blondie

I agree, Maverick, about US currency being boring. When we visit Canada, we like the dollar and 2-dollar coins (loonies and moonies). The US says they are going to punch up the money graphically, but I'm not holding my breath.

In the end, I don't care what it looks like, just so I can buy my stuff with it.

• fjtoth
    fjtoth

Our Queen Mother Mouthy on Canada's Newest Currency!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit