Sex before marriage

by Jules Saturn 56 Replies latest social relationships

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Since - when the Bible books were written - human beings (particularly women and children) were property...

...and marriage itself was - first and foremost - a form of property ownership...

...sex outside of marriage was viewed as a form of theft.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    JS -
    Sex before marriage

Yes please!!

Even as a Jobo I didn't have a problem with jooking out punaany before going through the system's way of 'yolking' 2 fools together.

My view is that the marriage gumph is a legal construct. Morals do not come into it.

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

Sex Appeal. Please give generously.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000
    For me, the thought of marrying someone and not knowing if we were compatible sexually didn’t make sense.

I suspect this is a bigger problem than we realize. I most societies nowadays, it would be unthinkable to marry someone without evaluating that. It's quite possible that many JW marriages fall apart because of this very issue, but is normally presented some other sort of incompatibility

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

Pre-marital sex comes with consequences.

There, I fixed it for you.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7
    Marital sex comes with consequences.

Yes normally good ones when both parties saved themselves for marriage.

• cofty
    cofty

Vander - Biblical moral standards are based on the premise that women are possessions of fathers and husbands.

That is not a morality to be admired or emulated. Sex before marriage is eminently sensible.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7
    Sex before marriage is eminently sensible.

That is a non sequitur Mr. Cofty. Regardless of how cultures view women at a certain time in history does not negate the fact that sexual abstention before marriage reduces the risk of unwanted pregnancies, abortions and STDs; nor does it make premarital sex eminently more sensible.

There is neither male nor female in Christ Jesus. Husbands are to love their wives as Christ loved the church (Eph 5). These are the cross cultural biblical standards that believers should uphold.

As a teenager in the sixties I was fortunate that the Me-Too Movement was not around. But when Christ opened my eyes at 17, that the gift of God was eternal life, I immediately quit stealing cars, getting loaded, and engaging in premarital sex....went back to high school at night, then university and teacher's college. I told God that I did not want to date any girl till I found the person He had for me. I found her at 24, the year I graduated from college. Will have been married 48 years this August 14th. I am blessed beyond measure. Don't quite know why I'm sharing this...but just saying.

• TD
    TD

Vanderhoven,

I respect your position and applaud your success in marriage. I've been married just over forty years myself.

To be fair though, your situation is not typical of the system you're defending

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Vanderhoven&:
    Hi OTWO,

Do you agree that the Bible is against sex outside of marriage?

Do you believe that if this Bible standard was followed that our society would be better off in terms of the number of unwanted pregnancies, abortions, sexually transmitted diseases and the problems that go with them?

The Bible is against sex outside of marriage, yes.
    If "they" could get every human to abide by this one thing, sure- most of those particular problems would be nearly gone. (....just "nearly." I imagine there would still be unwanted pregnancies and abortions to some degree) But getting the human population to abide by one thing- WHO THE HELL ARE WE TO INSIST UPON IT?? And in your fairy tale of such a society, we no longer have to deal with problems like rape because men only have sex with their wife. And where does it stop? Should we go back to multiple wives? Should we arrange marriages young to make sure those crazy kids don't have sex before they are married? I won't even bother with applying other Bible standards since it is too "off topic" to discuss stoning your children or allowing slavery, etc.

A society that enforced such a thing would probably be a depressed society. People marrying whoever they wanted sex with and not checking compatibility, all so they could escape the death penalty for violating that "one standard." (I don't see any other way to enforce it.)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit