Things I Cant Stand Since Leaving Watchtower

by pale.emperor 41 Replies latest jw experiences

• days of future passed
    days of future passed

Having to write a talk. One of the most painful things to do besides going out in service.

Walking out in service in high heels - worse in winter.

Shopping for meeting clothes - skirts that were long enough, but not too long.

Forcing yourself to answer at the meeting.

• QuestioningEverything
    QuestioningEverything
    • Pantyhose -- this is my answer as well. I will NEVER wear another pair, ever. Link

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

The fake smiles so ungenuine..

• redvip2000
    redvip2000
    As a kid being forced to wear an assembly badge. Then being stood at a bus stop waiting for the bus to Twickenham assembly as my school pals walked by gawping at my badge.

Boy that brings back memories. It wasn't only for assemblies. We generally would walk to meetings, and I recall as a kid, walking out of my house dressed up with my bag to go to meetings, walking by the group of other kids i knew playing outside, while they looked at me with a puzzled expression on their faces.

Or even worse, getting paired with some brother who just happens to be assigned a territory where you live, and now having to go door to door in streets where you are easily recognized. It was just terrible.

Somehow I was lucky with the lapel cards, because I always found a way to forget them, or have it in my pocked until we go to the convention hall. Also we usually left to the convention pretty early, and so there weren't really any people outside on the weekends.

• Phoebe
    Phoebe

Wearing a dress or skirt. I haven't worn a dress/skirt since May. I feel liberated!

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

I just realized that i now only own one suit. I used to have four. FOUR!

And the one suit i own is one lovely expensive suit. I mean, the only time i'll need a suit is for special occasions right?

(or court).

• Betheliesalot
    Betheliesalot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIDk1E9cntI

These new videos they are now making are just so wrong, but if you are drinking their kool aid, you just can't get enough. I can totally see Warwick becoming the next Jonestown.

• Annon
    Annon

I could not stand the hypocrisy, such as elders who never speak to you at a meeting suddenly wanting to give you a shepherding call because they care for you so much. Strangely this caring often developed a week before the C.O. was visiting and disappeared the day after he left.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Fake friends.

Thinking that everyone who happened to share your faith, was a "true friend". But they would rat you out to the elders THE MOMENT you said or did anything that was not "approved".

Conditional associates handed to us on a plate, so we never learned the skills on how to make REAL friends.

• jws
    jws
    • I'm not a JW anymore (haven't been for nearly 30 years) and my ex-wife and kids never were. But there were rare occasions when my son wore a suit when he was little. Like my dad's funeral or my niece's wedding. I thought he looked cute. You can complain about the frequency, but a kid in a suit isn't the worst thing ever.
    • Wait on Jehovah. Yeah, I still get that same BS from other Christians. They tell me that any questions I have will be answered by god when I meet him or Jesus, or something of that nature that can't be answered now. Not specifically a JW problem.
    • Door-to-door ministry. I agree about the ministry part. But, I was able to give my son a few pointers when he was in boy scouts and had to do door-to-door popcorn sales. Like listen for the doorbell and that if you don't hear it, try knocking. It's not the same, but it's something "like" it.
    • The emblems. Ever think Jesus was just freaking out that he was about to die and his disciples are badgering him with questions. He gets fed up and told his disciples to "Eat me!"? And they cleaned it up to this eat of my flesh story?

And I could probably add:

• Being forced to comment at meetings by my parents - or seeing other parents do that to kids too young to even know what they're answering.
    • The Ministry school. Though I'm sure it may have had it's public speaking perks, to an extremely shy kid, it was one of my most traumatic experiences as a kid.
    • Another thing was all of the suggestions taken as the rule of law. "It might be wise for a Christian to be careful of <blank>" meant that <blank> was absolutely off limits. But it doesn't say that. It just says to be careful.
    • All of the F'ing modern-day this-or-that person or this-or-that class. I saw that as pure BS even when I was still hanging onto them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit