Favorite authors?

by bebu 50 Replies latest jw friends

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

Celia's in love, Celia's in love!! .. you're a good man Farkel!!

now, favorite authors ..

Ben Elton, Bryce Cortney ("Four Fires" is a great book about life in small town Australia in the '60's) , um .. haven't read much lately .. do cooking books like "rabbit on a shovel" count? (hey it's more than wasasister!!! .. quick fill that blank in girl

• wasasister
  • wasasister
    wasasister

First of all: Farkel, you are a Genius of major proportions. Please, please do a CD for us. I'll even help dupe it for you.

Authors, so many, so little time. Nothing better, to my way of thinking, than to sit on a comfortable front porch on a sunny summer morning, reading a book and drinking beverage of choice. A few favorites for that scenario:

Thomas Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow is a difficult read but worth the effort

Isaac Asimov, especially the Foundation series and the Robot stories

Poe- goddam! all of him

Douglas Adams - so smart and so very witty

Stephen King, only when he's trying...the good stuff is VERY good

Jane Auel, some of the Neanderthal stories have great background research

John Stienbeck, esp Cannery Row

Dave Barry, for humor, can't beat him

Kaye Gibbons, for good ol' chick stories try Charms for an Easy Life, she's the female answer to Hemmingway

Laura Esquivel, Like Water for Chocolate...easily the sexiest book ever

Mario Puzzo, wonderful character building

See what you've started? I could go on for hours about books. Is there anything better than the smell in a great used book store? Talk about erotic!!

• unclebruce
    unclebruce
    See what you've started? I could go on for hours about books. Is there anything better than the smell in a great used book store? Talk about erotic!!

oooo wassa ... tell us more

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

In my youth I adored Shakespeare, but that was many dead grey cells ago (Lay on MacDuff and damned be he who first cries 'Enough!').

Arthur Conan Doyle was fun, as was Agatha Christie. Michael Crichton can be interesting but he's very uneven. Now I'm blanking out.

I'm not very good at authors though. I love reading but I've never really paid much interest in who writes the bloody books.

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Paulo Coelho

Farley Mowat

Margaret Lawrence

W. O. Mitchell

John Steinbeck

Salinger (only read 1 book)

• Farkel
    Farkel

wasa,

:First of all: Farkel, you are a Genius of major proportions. Please, please do a CD for us. I'll even help dupe it for you.

I'd be glad to send you one on my dime. Just send me your address. I've got LOTS more to record as I have time.

: Authors, so many, so little time. Nothing better, to my way of thinking, than to sit on a comfortable front porch on a sunny summer morning, reading a book and drinking beverage of choice. A few favorites for that scenario:

: Thomas Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow is a difficult read but worth the effort

I must be semi-illerate. Don't know him.

: Isaac Asimov, especially the Foundation series and the Robot stories

Know the name. Never read any of his stuff----->I'm semi-illterate. Again. Dang!

: Poe- goddam! all of him

Love his stuff! Loved the "Cask of Amontilado" (sp?) Poe is spell-binding. It must be the opium he loved so much!

: Douglas Adams - so smart and so very witty

Great first name! Don't know his works, though. (Semi-illiterate)

: Stephen King, only when he's trying...the good stuff is VERY good

Read "Christine", "It" and "Cujo." He scares the hell out of me!

: Jane Auel, some of the Neanderthal stories have great background research

Read the "Clan" and the "Plains." Missed the last of that trilogy. Fascinating, light and fun reading, with good research behind it.

: John Stienbeck, esp Cannery Row

Don't read books that deal in human misery! If I need that, I'll re-subscribe to the Watchtwer Mag!

: Dave Barry, for humor, can't beat him

I SWEAR I'm not making this up, but Dave Barry is my favorite light-hearted columnist. (An "Alert Reader(tm)" turned me on to him!)

: Kaye Gibbons, for good ol' chick stories try Charms for an Easy Life, she's the female answer to Hemmingway

Never read her stuff, but there is NO answer to Hemingway. He's a one-of-a-kind kind of author.

: Laura Esquivel, Like Water for Chocolate...easily the sexiest book ever

Don't know her, but can she top the "Song of Soloman" or "The Group?"

: Mario Puzzo, wonderful character building

Details are everything and Puzzo did a fantastic job.

: See what you've started? I could go on for hours about books. Is there anything better than the smell in a great used book store? Talk about erotic!!

Well.................... talk about smells and erotic stuff: I can think of other smells that ring my chime!

But I would be in major trouble if I got specific.
    Would you like to hear a nice Bach Fugue?
    Fakel
  • czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

Terry Pratchett. Britain's best and most popular writer.

George R. R. Martin. For you fantasy fans out there, his "Song of Ice and Fire" series is the most intriguing, spell-binding set of books since LOTR. No kidding.

jewel - her book of poems touched my heart

CZAR

• Farkel
    Farkel

Uncle Bruce,

Celia is married, you silly wanker! I don't go where Angels fear to tread, even if I could, which I can't.

Farkel

• Celia
    Celia

... not only am I married, but we live 3000 miles apart (aproximately) which is probably a good thing.... as I have a major crush on Farkel as everyone on this board must know by now

Would you like to hear a nice Bach Fugue?

Of course we would, get to work !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit