Favorite authors?

by bebu 50 Replies latest jw friends

• bebu
    bebu

First, I never was a JW, but since a dear friend of mine is one, I'm here to learn from the human elements in order to give her quiet assistance in leaving someday (soon, I hope)...

I love reading. My favorite author thru the years has been CS Lewis. I read Narnia in HS, and loved the last book the best (Last Battle). I went to the public library, wondering if the guy wrote anything else. It was the start of something good. Mere Christianity, Problem of Pain, Miracles, Abolition of Man, Great Divorce, Screwtape Letters, Four Loves, God in the Dock, Pilgrim's Regress, Grief Observed, Letters to Children, anything I could get my mitts on. I don't agree with everthing, but oh, wish I could think as carefully as he did!

My second-favorite author is Richard Wurmbrand, a Rumanian Jewish Christian who spent years in prison under both Nazis and Communists (14 1/2 yrs). His writing style is a bit unusual, and different from Western organizational styles/rules. But very enjoyable! His perspective of God in suffering is more poignant than arm-chair theology I've heard. I've read everything he's written, too. He is a GREAT storyteller--it was how he taught in prison, to his "captive" (sorry) audience.

So, which author(s) have YOU enjoyed most? BTW, I read CoC when it was first out. I know this will probably be a favorite here. :) Or, is it easier to cite a genre of writing, such as fiction/mysteries/history?

bebu

• Seven
    Seven

My favorite authors: JRR Tolkien,Janes Michener, Anne Rice, Robert Ludlum, Stephen King, Beatrix Potter, Dr. Seuss, and Louis L'Amour.

• Mulan
    Mulan

Michael Connelly, Robin Cook, Diana Gabaldon, Jeffrey Archer, Michener, John Grisham and occasionally Danielle Steel for fluff reading.

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

In no particular order...

• David Sedaris
    • John Keats
    • William Blake
    • Jack Keruac
    • Chiam Potok
    • James Joyce
    • Nicholoson Baker
    • Zora Neale Hurston
    • Raymond Carver
    • Hemingway
    • Twain
    • Shakespeare
  • rebel
    rebel

I like Daphne Du Maurier, Thomas Hardy (I love 'Far From the Madding Crowd'), Ruth Rendell, Agatha Christie, Rudyard Kipling and Wilfred Owen (ok - so he was a poet - he was still brilliant)

xxR

• bebu
    bebu

I love Twain and Shakespeare too.

• bebu
    bebu

...actually, I like lots of these mentioned. Some I haven't read, but only heard of (Keats, Potok, eg.). This list makes me want to get to the library!

bebu :)

PS http://www.4literature.net has lots of books available for online reading. (But I think it'd be hard to read a large novel online; I think this kind of thing is nicer for shorter works like short stories and poetry.)

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

Dean Koontz, Stephen King, John Grisham and F. ScottFitzgerald ( read his work in school) to name a few.

• Celia
    Celia

Guy de Maupassant.... just read A Woman's Life, and it is just great. What a writing style! I asked my family in France to send me the original in french.

Haven't read much fiction lately, besides The Scarlet Letter and all the Harry Potter books

• perfectpie
    perfectpie

Hemingway, Blake, Annie Lamont and Stephen King.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit