Favorite authors?

by bebu 50 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

I've read all of John Grisham's stuff, but he seems to be going off the boil now. Ludlums stuff was good, so was Michener's.

OK, that's the American contingent deal with!

Some Brit authors worth reading:

Neville Shute............On the beach. Beyond the black stump. An old captivity.

Nicholas Montserrat.... Story of Esther Costello. The master mariner.

Stan Barstow........A kind of loving. The watchers on the shore.

Caro Fraser.........Judicial whispers + lots of excellent novels about the UK legal system.

There's loads more, but that's enough for now.

Englishman.

• greven
    greven

Tolkien, Shakespear, Terry Pratchett, Douglas Adams, Richard Dawkins, George Orwell, Edgar Allen Poe phew!

So many books, so little time!

Greven

• Celia
    Celia

Farkel dear ------- "The Necklace" --- I will have to find that one then and read it

I'm disappointed you never commented on my hard work with the Camille Saint Saens's "Danse Macabre." I spent nearly a year learning this one, dear.

This was a major work of love for me and I was most pleased to present it to you readers of all of this stuff.

My computer is not that fancy.... I can't listen to your music directly, I have to download the piece first. I started downloading Danse Macabre, but it would have taken over an hour and I didn't have the time at the time to wait for it, so I stopped and never tried again.... but I have your link in my favorites and I will try again, promise...

• Celia
    Celia

Oh, and Farkel, something else.... Your Korean Song is just wonderful.... it's tender but passionate, sensual and sexy with its aborted climax....

• dedalus
    dedalus
    Ah, his masterpiece (in my mind) was "The Necklace"

I teach that story. It's ... good. But sometimes it seems too simple, like an exercise in irony, but not much more than that. I dunno. The characters are all types, I guess is my problem. Still, the story works, like a very well built mousetrap, and that's, well, "masterful."

Oh well. Among my favorite authors:

• James Joyce
    • Samuel Beckett
    • Fyodor Dostoyevsky
    • Henry James
    • Donald Barthelme
    • James M. Cain
    • Thomas Pynchon
    • Julian Barnes
    • David Sedaris
    • Italo Calvino
    • Vladimir Nabokov

Dedalus

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Laura Ingalls Wilder (Little House Series),

C.S. Lewis (Narnia Chroncles, Perelandra, Out of the Silent Planet,

JRR Tolkien(Lord of the Rings, Farmer Giles of Ham, Silmarillian),

Tad Williams (Memory, Sorrow and Thorn trilogy),

Orson Scott Card (great fantasy)

Fyodor Dostoyevsky (Crime and Punishment, Brothers Karamazov)

Khalil Gibran (The Prophet, Jesus),

William Butler Yeats (assorted wonderful poetry)

Ronald Dahl (James and the Giant Peach, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory)

John Irving (A prayer for owen meany)

Boris Pasternak (Dr. Zhivago, assorted poetry, includes My Sister-Life)

Rainer Maria Rilke (Assorted poetry)

Sir Thomas Malory (Le Morte D'Arthur)

Willliam Shakespeare (Pericles, Hamlet, King Lear, MacBeth, Othello, Much Ado About Nothing)

Hart Crane (assorted poetry)

There's more than that but I can't really think of what....

ash

• asortafairytale
    asortafairytale

• Sarah Waters
    • Edgar Allen Poe
    • Maya Angelou
    • Toni Morrison (The Bluest Eye is so touching)
    • Sylvia Plath
    • Naomi Wolf (The Beauty Myth is a must-read!)
    • Francesca Lia Block
    • Tom Robbins (I am getting into his book "Skinny Legs and All")

This is by no means complete; just off the top of my head.

~Asortafairytale~

• nilfun
    nilfun

Wow, it ain't easy for me to remember all the authors I've enjoyed reading, but here's a few I can think of:

• Robert A. Heinlein
    • Harper Lee
    • John Steinbeck
    • Carson McCullers
    • Peter Matthiessen
    • Albert Camus
    • Madeleine L'Engle
    • Maya Angelou
    • Peter Carey
    • Fannie Flagg
    • Richard Wright
    • Margery Williams
    • Barbara Kingsolver
    • John Irving
    • Frank McCourt

(great lists, folks...makes me want to take a trip to the library right now! )

• Shakita
    Shakita

My daughter and I are reading J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series of books. We are now on "the Goblet of Fire." I enjoy reading these books as much as my daughter. Very well written.

I have all the Robin Cook books, Mulan. They are great stories and I can finish them in a day! Fun reading.

Ronald Dahl was my favorite author when I was growing up. I must have read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory hundreds of times!

By the looks of everyone's posts here, I must be literary challenged!

Mrs. Shakita

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

I like John Grisham a lot, having already read The Street Walker, The Runaway Jury, and the Firm. His next work on my list is A Painted House. I also like C.S. Lewis and Edgar Allen Poe. I'm currently reading Philip Yancey's Where Is God When It Hurts; I have already read The Jesus I Never Knew. And I'm interested in reading Disappointment With God.

And, oh, yes, I like to read anything on local Leon County and Tallahassee history. I'm a volunteer researcher at the State Library (in the afternoons). I create files on topics relating to the area (i.e., Schools, Religion, Plantations, Streets and Roads, Seminole Indian Wars, Civil War Veterans (biographical sketches), Spanish American War, World War I and II, Place Names (anything I could find about any existing community or extant one in the county--approximately 40 in all), Bodies of Water, Suburbs, etc.,etc.}

The State Library has several references (one of a kind, but not printed) that I have compiled and which they have catalogued. See

http://stafla.dlis.state.fl.us/MARION?A=KENNESON+CLAUDE

I also contribute a lot to RootsWeb.com Search Kenneson Leon Board

The City of Tallahassee has put on line one of my surveys "Old City Cemetery Burials: The 'Kennison Survey' " at

http://fcn.state.fl.us/citytlh/public_works/cemeburials/kennison.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit