Apostate - what does the word mean to you?

by Tallon 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Tallon
    Tallon

Over a period of time I got to thinking - what does the word 'Apostate' mean to me. Having given it some thought, this is my view;

The Org has given the word its own definition and basically use it to demonise people and consider them pariahs.

However, the JW meaning of 'Apostate' is a mere word and only has power if recognised as such. They can label you all they want because they've given power to that word. Now here is the clincher: you don't have to accept the power and meaning they've given it, and what is more, you sure as hell don't have to hide from it either!

What do you think?

• resolute Bandicoot
    resolute Bandicoot

Jesus was an apostate from Judaism, It is name calling for somebody who does not agree with your big idea.

• waton
    waton

characters like Joseph of Egyptian cow fame, Jesus, Luther (not martin) I.Newton J.Kepler, Galileo, Copernicus advanced, out of the box thinkers all.

Hope you all make the honour roll.

PS mainstream religious adherents, are guaranteed to be wrong. think 1914, -25, - 75, overlap.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The Watchtower Corporation (JWS) was always a biblical apostate to the written word as a corrupt and lying religious publishing house.

False teachers / false prophets, well identified by Jesus himself and instructed to his true followers to stay away or shun these ones.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

To Watchtower, an apostate abandons their so-called "true worship" and shares their thoughts on how and why they've abandoned it.

The dictionary definition is close: One who abandons a religious or political belief or principle.

The difference is that there is no judgement in the real definition.

I embrace the label. I did indeed abandon the religion. It's not as dramatic as homosexuals embracing the negative intentions of the word "queer" and calling it positive, but it would be similar.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Apostate simply means "one who has left their former belief system"

It doesnt mean a "mentally diseased lunatic who spits fire and sulphur" like the Society would like all to believe...

If you stop following a sporting team, or a political party, you are an apostate of them. Thats all...

As mentioned above, Jesus was an apostate of judaism.

• caves
    caves

When I was much younger (and 'in'), I thought it meant that Satan took over their (apostates) mind and controlled them directly through the demons. Basically like the exorcist. LOL. That is literally what I thought back then.

Now Of Course not.

Resolute Bandicoot said-Jesus was an apostate from Judaism, It is name calling for somebody who does not agree with your big idea.

^^^^This^^^^ Pretty much sums it up.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

I just see it as "a person that scares the crap out of Jehovah's Witnesses", and I'm happy to be one.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

''Apostate'' is only defined as someone who abandoned their beliefs.

JWism on the other hand completely ''demonizes'' someone as being 'worthy of death' per se.

@ Caves, exactly. When I was a much younger, scared and naieve young JW, I thought the same thing. I thought ''apostates'' were under satans' control and demonized.

• just fine
    just fine

Courageous, brave enough to question their entire belief system.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit