Survey: How long were you in the cult vs what year you were baptized

by ILoveTTATT2 155 Replies latest jw friends

• ILoveTTATT2
    ILoveTTATT2
    Married 35 years to a raised-in since five years old, now ex-JW. Husband faded five years into our marriage. Daughter (32-year-old born-in ex-JW, bi-lingual grade school teacher in Central America) respectfully declined to accept a shepherding call from the elders at age 17 and is considered DA’d by her actions. Son (28-year-old born-in ex-JW, sail rigger/shop manager in Mid-Atlantic coastal US) told the elders, “Just F***ing DF me.” They did. I walked away on July 3, 2011 after 42 years in.
  • ILoveTTATT2
    ILoveTTATT2

I did the math and I am just missing your husband. If I did the math right he faded in 1981. When was he baptized?

Thanks!

• prologos
    prologos

Prologos, would you really say 57 years or just 6 years? I would count you as only 6 years since I am not interested really in when the DF'ing occured but when you were completely awake.

Fully, totally awake in 2013, when I considered wt, bible as irredeemably false.so: 2013 (3) out -1957 (2) in = 57 if you agree.

P.S Fading started with Superior Authority flip.

• Sail Away
    Sail Away

Sail Awayan hour ago

1) were you raised as a JW, or did you convert?

Converted at age 9

2) when were you baptized/started seriously being with the witnesses? (Date please, i.e. 1997)

Baptized in 1976, age 16 (I would have been baptized at age 10 if my father had allowed it.)

3) when did you leave/woke up completely? (date please, i.e. 2013)

Please do the time difference between 2 and 3...

35 years from baptism to exit

Mr. Sail Away:

1) were you raised as a JW, or did you convert?

Converted at age 5 with parents

2) when were you baptized/started seriously being with the witnesses? (Date please, i.e. 1997)

Baptized age 14, 1965

3) when did you leave/woke up completely? (date please, i.e. 2013)

Left 1984

Learned TTAT 2012

Please do the time difference between 2 and 3...

Physically in baptism to exit 19 years

Mentally in from baptism to learning TTAT 47 years

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

1.) Raised

2.) 1996

3.) 2011

Time in: 15 years

• Sail Away
    Sail Away

I copied my original post for you above. Not sure how you want to do the math. Yes, hubby began his fade approximately 5 years in to our marriage in 1984. He was baptized in 1965.

*You based your guesstimate on a post that is over 4 years old. ;)

• TMS
    TMS

born in. . so to speak

baptized 3-9-1957

departed in 1998 after 50 years of indoctrination

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

Keep in mind that your graph fails the Principle of Total Evidence. For example, the graph shows that people baptized in the year 2000 are only in for an average of 10 years. But this is operating off an incomplete data set. The people who were baptized in the year 2000 but leave in the year 2020 are not accounted for because they don't know they're going to leave yet.

As best I can tell, a lot of what we are seeing in this graph as a "trend" is just the fact that many people who were baptized within the last two decades simply haven't left yet. As time goes on the average "time in" will only go up.

I'm not sure any meaningful information can be extracted from the information you're gathering unless you're conducting a hundred year study.

• Sail Away
    Sail Away

Also, with my family's example, even though our children left after far fewer years in than we did, their exits were in no way related to use of the Internet, nor were my husband's and mine. There does seem to be a flaw in the premise of the OP.

• beth_
    beth_

1) raised in -- parents were studying when I was born

2) 1994

3) 2010

16 years

my husband:

1) born in, third generation I believe

2) 1997

3) 2010

13 years

Share this