Survey: How long were you in the cult vs what year you were baptized

by ILoveTTATT2 155 Replies latest jw friends

• ILoveTTATT2
    ILoveTTATT2

Hi people,

I want as much data as possible on the effect of the internet on the time captured by the cult.

Please answer the three following questions about yourself or about someone you know (for example, if your parents or grandparents were JW's and left)

1) were you raised as a JW, or did you convert?

2) when were you baptized/started seriously being with the witnesses? (Date please, i.e. 1997)

3) when did you leave/woke up completely? (date please, i.e. 2013)

Please do the time difference between 2 and 3...

me:

1) raised
    2) 1997
    3) 2013

Time in: 16 years

Thanks!

I think this would be an interesting stat that has never been done before. I am certain that the results will be that the internet significantly reduces time in for everyone. A graph of "time in" vs year would be very insightful. I am sure that there will be more "lifers" in previous generations, and much less now.

I have tried this with another group on Facebook called exJW Recovery Group 3, and my own Facebook page in Spanish. So far, I have had about 60 responses and a clear trend can be seen, but I would like to have one thousand (1000) responses to have some very solid data.

Your help with this will be greatly appreciated!

Here is the graph with the responses so far:

• talesin
    talesin

1) raised

2) 1972

3) 1976

Time in: 4 years

that may throw off your graph ... ; )

:sunglasses:

• ILoveTTATT2
    ILoveTTATT2
    Hi Talesin, it´s ok. People like you (the "outliers," aka the "exception to the rule") are very useful for statistics. But given 1000 people, you won't really have an effect on the average or the trend. What I see on the trend is that the variability is reducing.... i.e. some people who came in the 70's woke up faster than others, but the average was higher than now, and now, the average is much smaller and almost everyone is waking up at around the same time in.
  • ILoveTTATT2
    ILoveTTATT2
    Also Talesin, I am noticing that a lot of people did go out after 1975... so maybe the data will show that trend too...
  • titch
    titch

Hello, ILoveTTATT2:

1) Raised in

2) 1968

3) 1988

Total years in it, about 20 years.

• Spiral
    Spiral

1) raised in (one parent)

2) 1974, age 13

3) 2000 (totally)

26 years. Doubts for a long time, waiting for an opportunity to fade. So glad to be out!

• titch
    titch

So, I guess that I SHOULD mention, that the Internet really had no effect upon me, as to why I left it. 1988 was quite some time before the advent of the popularity of the Internet, and its many sites.

Titch

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

1) no

2) 1984

3) 2009

25 years

• lrkr
    lrkr

Raised in

20 years. (interesting)

• ILoveTTATT2
    ILoveTTATT2

Yes Tich, and the graph and the data DOES show that. It shows two things, even with the limited data:

1) Pre-internet, you could expect a wild variability in the time that one got out. Some got out very quickly, some took decades. It all depended on the person. But the average was much higher than it is now.

2) post- internet, the variability has decreased significantly, and also, the time to get out has decreased significantly.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit