"Apostates " how honest are we?

by closed 64 Replies latest jw experiences

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i am officially apostate.

i found out this exactly 35 years ago. i had quit the cult 10 years before--but my born in wife remained behind.

towards the end of 1980 i started an affaire with a friend--a married sister. she got d/f for it---but--apparently ( i wasnt there )--it was announced that i couldnt be d/f---because i wasnt a jw . however--it was announced i was an apostate!

i never knew what it meant when i found out-----till years later another dub-friend told me it meant i had joined another religion !!! as if one nut case cult wasnt enough.

so--i was an apostate--for adultery. aah well--if it makes them happy.......

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once
    Great point closed. Let's just say that everyone is the same, wait, that was JW land. Oops. Fact is, nope.
  • Ruby456
    Ruby456

Closed, re your opening post I think that what may be happening is that the disfellowshipped one may be emphasizing a different perspective rather than actually lying.

i have found that perspectives that I was closed to in the past sounded like lies and fabrications

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    I'm sure this happens but let's not forget all the lies that are spread around about ones who have left or we're dfd or reproved, even wives and husbands lie about their mates.
  • Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

@FreeMindFade,

Interesting quote in that image...where is it from?

@Tenacious,

Nice post!

@Cognac,

To clear up what you possibly misunderstood:

You seem to understand from the OP that he didn't like dubs lied to him during JCs?

But his point was that some people lied about their JC after it took place, and discredited the Borg and the JC with lies in newspapers.

Hence the question: how honest are apostates?

Anyway y'all already kissed and made up :-)

• Ruby456
    Ruby456
    Well yes exactly crazy guy - it is more likely that the person who remains in the truth who seeks to embellish his account of things in order to justify himself and he/ she is also probably likely to paint the one that left as the guilty bad person and put them in the worst possible light
  • freemindfade
    freemindfade

@anders anderson

• tornapart
    tornapart
    People lie all the time. We all do it. White lies, withholding something, outright deceit. To a greater or lesser degree we all do it. It's human nature. The problem is, as JWs we were taught that we were the most honest group of people on earth. Well... that's a lie! There are just as many dishonest JWs as any other group of people, in fact, they lie to themselves probably more than other people. So is it any wonder when we break free or worse are kicked out... we make stuff up? Some people are naturally more honest than others but I think it's more to do with who they are as a person than what they are.
  • freemindfade
    freemindfade

As John Stewart said on his farewell show. "Bullshit is everywhere"

Not all is bad or some much worse than other.

A lot of personality issues come from time in a cult. That is something to be sensitive to without judging

“Perhaps the biggest problem faced by people who have left destructive cults is the disruption of their own authentic identity. There is a very good reason: they have lived for years inside an “artificial” identity given to them by the cult. While cult mind control can be talked about and defined in many different ways, I believe it is best understood as a system that disrupts an individual’s healthy identity development. An identity is made up of elements such as beliefs, behavior, thought processes and emotions that constitute a definite pattern. Under the influence of mind control, a person’s authentic identity given at birth, and as later formed by family, education, friendships, and most importantly that person’s own free choices, becomes replaced with another identity, often one that they would not have chosen for themself without tremendous social pressure”
  • Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim
    Some of the most double talking people I've know are in the Borg. This coming from a group who claims they are the most ''honest''.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit