Will this war in Iraq, damage friendships here?

by WildTurkey 47 Replies latest jw friends

• animal
    animal

Simon, let me try to explain things from my point of view....

I can disagree with you and state my disagreement without using emotional adjectives, just straight non-judgemental opinion.

Or, I can call you a moron, Bush-robot, or any number of degrading names.

I choose to NOT call names, it isnt my style and would make me look like a baby. Many others dont take this path and that is too bad for them.

While this site is owned and hosted out of the USA, I would guess that the majority here are USA citizens (tho many of them dont seem proud of that fact). Out of those citizens, many are veterens, like myself, and take what we percieve as "USA bashing" very personally. Whether or not we "like" our President, we do respect the office and would not consider refering to Mr. Bush as many of the names called here on this site.

Maybe I just need a break from reading here. Maybe another option for a venue until things sort out is needed, for me anyhow.

Animal

• Simon
    Simon

I think that's the problem and is also a culture thing.

People here don't find calling Bush or Blair names at all American bashing or insulting, it's well, just what we do (ireverrant humour). ie. people do it and may be insulting while not meaning to be insulting. We frequently criticise our own govenrment and leader sna do find it strange that in the USA, people seem to rally behind the President even if they didn't vote for him ... simply because "he's the president".

Likewise, while not intending to be insulting, a lot of the pro-America things that get posted that are very dismissive of other people's opinions and rights are equally insulting to many non-Americans.

We all just need to be more understanding.

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

I agree with Ona...."Why would any friends abandon me, or I reject them, for that? That's how JWs behave..."

I think its great that we can get beyond our JW mindset and discuss things, whether we agree or not. Now that is true freedom and friendship.

j2bf

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    For the first time in my life, I'm stretching my wings and not only formulating, but also expressing myself on political issues.

Boy this resonates with me. I'm so used to NOT thinking about politics, war, etc. that it feels odd now giving myself permission to take a stand.

I think anyone who ends a friendship over this war is not a true friend. I was able to patch things together with my best friend over my father in law's funeral, and even though things got a bit heated, we both realized how much our friendship meant to us.

Is this a controversial topic? Yes. Like other controversial topics i.e. abortion, homosexuality, etc., people have strong feelings. What I don't understand is those folks who resort to the lowest common demoninator, name calling, in the discussion when their argument begins to fail. I don't believe in demonizing someone else just because they don't agree with me. That's not the way I roll.

This is a discussion board, so personally I don't have any problem with war being discussed. Having said that, if the war CANNOT be discussed on a mature adult rational level then maybe it shouldn't be discussed at all.

Just my thought.

• gumby
    gumby

The reason it would ruin a friendship would be that....... one party or both, would not, or could not, accept what the other one felt. Kind of like religion.

Gumby

• Azalo
    Azalo

I am not really "friends" with anyone on here but in my own personal life I have lots of friends who disagree with my views. It seems some people on these boards from both sides of the debate take things far too personally and i kind of agree with other posters that maybe this just isnt the forum for the war debate because the ones who mostly contribute are pretty much entrenched in their point of view and are not going to be swayed by someone's post, if anything it will just harden their will. If there are people who are on the fence there are many sites on the web that are pro peace and just go to any US media outlet for the pro war side

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior
    I was able to patch things together with my best friend over my father in law's funeral, and even though things got a bit heated, we both realized how much our friendship meant to us.

(((((((((((((Tex))))))))))))))) I'm so glad to hear this !!! That is a good friendship. Sometimes they do go through some trials but the ones that are true will withstand. I'm happy for you- and not at all surprised !!

XW

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

XW

Thank you so much. You are a kind and generous soul.

Nina

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

((((((((((Nina)))))))))))))) Thank you sooo much !!!! I feel the same way about you !!! You and Chris are the greatest !!!

XW

• alfie
    alfie

For the record, I oppose war at any time and in any place. That being said I also understand that there are times when military conflicts are not only inevitable but also necessary. The war in Iraq, I believe, is not one of those times. There are those who disagree with me and not only do I respect that viewpoint, I accept it and thus far, none of my friendships have been affected. Although I know nobody here personally, I hope someday to meet some and have the assurance that my viewpoints would not jeopardize any affections for one another.

CIAO4NIAO!!

alfie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit