Will this war in Iraq, damage friendships here?

by WildTurkey 47 Replies latest jw friends

• WildTurkey
    WildTurkey

What do you think

Will this war in Iraq, damage friendships here?

• LB
    LB

Not from my end it won't. I think I'm able to disagree with someone without hating them. I look forward to the next apostafest up north to see if that's true.

I'm also sure that some are going to lose friends over this. They haven't learned how to disagree well yet.

• freedom96
    freedom96

I don't see any reason to agree to disagree. It would sure be shallow of me to not like someone just because we don't see eye to eye on everything.

Life would be boring if everyone liked the same things, if everyone thought exactly the same way.

• myself
    myself

WT, I am with LB. When it comes down to it I hope that it becomes okay to "agree to disagree". It is about respecting the rights of others.

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

If people are really friends, I doubt a disagreement over this will effect that friendship. However, for those that already don't care much for each other, it may be used to broaden their divide. Regardless, we all have our opinions and our rights to them and should remember that. Disagreeing with someone is not an insult worthy of calling the other names over.

• animal
    animal

Agreeing to disagree is much different from calling people names when they disagree. Add that to the anti-American stance of a few and yes, if nothing else, some respect has been lost.

It is simple to call names online, but try it face to face.

Animal

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

I would hope that we can voice our opinion on this or any subject without it damaging friendships. I know I don't hold a grudge some may lose respect but I think in general all should be fine.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Wars are started and end by agendas. The only agenda that seems to be active on these threads is that people on either side of the issue are seeking to gain a clearer understanding as to what is happening here and what agendas politicians on either side are trying develop. I see that as a healthy thing. I have learned a lot by reading these threads and trying to approach the issue with an open mind.

I engaged in a long and detailed explanatory expedition of the different sides of the issue with Mrs. Step at coffee the other morning. She eyed me quizzically for the thirty minutes it took me to explain my views. When I had finished she yawned and said. "Men love war".

There is a lot of truth in that be it a military war or a Board war….lol

HS

• COMF
    COMF

I haven't seen anything on this subject that approaches the fervor and furor of other fights we've seen over religion. Those with their heads on straight will keep their friendships. Those prone to emotionalism will get hot-headed and piss and be pissed, but after things cool down and some time passes they probably will realize that they got overheated, and maybe even publicly apologize and make up.

• Robdar
    Robdar

(((((WT))))), Good question.

In my opinion, no. Friendships will not be damaged. I love my friends whether they agree with me or not. I need their different opinions in my life to help balance me. I am a seeker of truth and I need my friends to help keep me on the truthful path. I listen carefully to what they have to say and am not afraid to change my opinion if I find out that I am wrong.

The ones who I do not consider to be my friends couldn't damage my opinion of them any more by disagreeing with me than they have already done. Nor can they become my friends by agreeing with me.

Robyn

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit