I refuse to lie to have a job!!!!!!

by Jesika 42 Replies latest jw friends

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Of course you were right to quit those sharks . Well done! It is not easy to give up money even in those circumstances.

What was that old song from "Sweet Charity"? "There must be something better than this, I am gonna get up , get out and find it " . It will come , for sure .

• Trauma_Hound
    Trauma_Hound

Jes, I suggest you contact your states Attourney Generals office.

• Jesika
    Jesika

Ascot, you are too cute. Thanx

LOL@ _b12

This is why I love you guys!!!!!!! I was feeling a little reserved about my decision, but I feel more confident about my choice now.

I feel good about not pounding the pavement though LOL!!

Love you all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

edited to add-----Ummmm why TH???

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Jesika, you did the right thing! And, something better is bound to come along. Alex sounds like a great person and very supportive.

I think for us, having been involved in spreading the JW stuff so long, makes us terribly aware whenever we find ourselves doing anything remotely like that again. A lie is a lie.

Cheer up. You do have choices now.

• Soledad
    Soledad

OF COURSE you did the right thing I went through something similar about 3 years ago with a very large insurance company believe it or not. Its not only the small, lesser known companies that pull that kind of crap, the large well known ones do too.

Good luck to you I know you'll find something soon!

• Swan
    Swan

My brother once got involved with an insurance company. He got this job and was very excited. They sent him to school and he was in these classes from early morning until late at night and they weren't allowed to contact anyone even from their hotel room. They were supposed to stay in their rooms at night and not go anywhere. They were dog tired anyway.

After he graduated he left early in the morning, they (all the sales people) met at some restaurant and were given a pep talk, then they went to a neighborhood in vans where they were dropped off without any transportation. They were shuttled around every day peddling this insurance from door to door.

My brother had no life. He got picked up and taken back to his car late in the evening and was dog tired when he got home. To me it sounded like the job from hell. We encouraged him to quit and he eventually did, but they put a lot of pressure on him to stay.

Years later I read Steven Hassan's book and thought back to this high control group. I recognized the cult tactics they used right away. Several parallels to the JWs became apparent, even though the details of their tactics varied.

So be glad you got out so quickly. It isn't fun being lied too and taken advantage of, but at least you didn't put any more time than you did into it. Did you check this company out with the Better Business Bureau by any chance? It might be worth a phone call to see if they concur with your impressions.

Take care.

Tammy

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

Jesika:

I was afraid this would happen, being in sales for years I interviewed many times with companies that expect their people to lie etc. I am so glad you told them to stuff itYes you did the right thing, I would have quit to. WAY TO STAND YOUR GROUND!!!!!!

• lauralisa
    lauralisa

{{Jesika}}}} Arghhh!!!! To think that you are having reservations says volumes about your integrity and good-heartedness. That being said, if you even think about returning to that job for ONE SECOND - well. Just don't... what they are doing is using sincerely-motivated people to supply them with FREE ADVERTISING. Any "sales" they actually acquire through YOUR ASS-BUSTING WORK is like, "Dude! Bonus!!" for them. They (The company - hereafter referred to as "SCUM") actually KNOW IN ADVANCE that their new hirees will get a clue in no time at all, and one by one, they will leave (the last to leave is the one they will laugh about the hardest). They prey on innocent, young, desperately in need of a job and ATTRACTIVE people. What they are doing is against the law, essentially, but it is so difficult to prosecute such cases that the police would rather just make things difficult for the poor victims who are employed by them. I was freaking out when I first started reading your post.... sounds so Moony-like that it's creepy. Something will come your way, hon, please hold on until then.... hugs, lauralisa

• TheStar
    TheStar

((((((((((((((((((((((((((Jes))))))))))))))))))))

You did the right thing. So sorry you had to run into these jack asses!!!

Hang in there girl, something great will come along!!

• DFWnonJW
    DFWnonJW

Hi Jesika,

Several years ago I got hired for a job that sounds extremely similar to the one you found. I rode with two others and we were out in White Rock so I had no choice but to stick it out (one hell of a walk back to Irving!). One day is all they got from me as it became very obvious very quickly that it was a scam. But when you are desparate you give things a chance even if wary about it. All I can say is don't despair, the right job will come along and they will be glad to have you. I wish you all the best!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit