So sick of the abuse...

by iwasblind 43 Replies latest jw experiences

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thank you, iwasblind, for sharing this experience.

Likewise, when trying to encourage a suffering JW, I find a way to weave natural human kindness and compassion with words and background familiar to that person. I know the JW walk and talk in my sleep, but I avoid the guilt- and fear-inducing stuff. Just be natural, just be human.

CoCo

• Warren Wilson
    Warren Wilson
    You sound like a decent elder so be careful because the only decent elder I ever knew drank himself to death.
  • Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    It's got to be hard because for every good word you say the Borg tells them they have to do more. Your always fighting a up Hill battle.
  • cappytan
    cappytan

Atheist here .... Rock on bro...that was awesome.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Warren wilson me too, in the uk

Be careful you wonderful man, take care of yourself too!It sounds like many folk need you, do you have famlly in?

"my burden is light and my yoke is easy"Mathew 11.30

Please, please watchtower - stop adding to the things written to your poor slaves for its THE PUBLISHERS that are the FAITHFUL and discreet SLAVE, not the egotistical magisterium giving leaders!

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

btw am athiest

Am thinking of you and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for caring for the beloved sheep xx

• Aprostate Exam
    Aprostate Exam

You sound very guilt written. What have you done Sir?

• Heaven
    Heaven

While I am a non-believer (aka atheist, secular humanist), I do feel for those stuck in the Borg who know the TTATT and are in positions where they must try to help the 'sheep'. Using love is really the only way.

It's what I did with my folks. I tried to show them that not all 'worldly' people were evil by living a good decent life. I gave them unconditional love even though I did not agree with their religious beliefs. I never attacked their religion directly. I used the Bible and basic common sense when they were talking nonsense (you know, like Armageddon is coming soon).

As my Father became ill with dementia, one of the Alzheimer's Society's social workers told me that "Love transcends the dementia barrier." I have found her to be correct. You can't use legalism, anger, guilt, fear or any other negative, destructive tactic with someone who has dementia. These do not work and actually make things worse.

When I asked my Dad if he wanted the brothers and sisters to help him with his post cataract surgery regime he told me "No. You are supportive." Which also says, they would not be.

For this sister who is having trouble, I would tell her simply "The Bible says God is love. Keep that in mind. If you are being told unloving things or being asked to do unloving things, this is not coming from God."

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath
    just what training do elders get to deal with other peoples personal problems ? what qualifications do they need ?
  • Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD
    Elder for 25 years and now a atheist. You did good. All the years I served I was always wishing there was more elders like you. Maybe if there was I would have stayed in and then maybe not. The toll must be hard on you. I know that feeling quite to well. Take care of yourself because there will come a point in your life this will come to a head. At this point you will need to be at the top of your game so you can make the right decisions for yourself and your family. Stay well. Still Totally ADD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit