What The Fossils Say

by cofty 78 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Crazyguy2
    Crazyguy2

What sea breeze posted in his pics is called calcification where by minerals usually found in water wash over the object and turn it into what he showed. Petrified items still take much longer to become petrified and fossilization takes even longer if Remember correctly.

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

sea breeze,

I recall decades ago - early 1970s - JWs I knew would use the same reasoning "To whom else can we go?".

The WTS builds a wall to keep its sheep inside by giving a "them-and-us" picture. They do this with their focus on "Trinity", "Cross", repeated use of that word "Jehovah", not participating in war, owing allegiance to the WTS over all governments, and so on.

Interestingly it is in Babylon where God's people are to be found ("come out of her my people."). That is where God's people were being kept (6th century BCE).

There are, in reality, other more potent powers at play-- loss of family, loss of friendships, fear of missing out, fear of the Big A, and so on.

It should not be an issue of leaving one superstition (the WTS) and entering into another. It is possible although difficult, to ditch superstition. Mental scars will remain.

All the best,

Doug

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Doug have you read this book “ The coming of Age of Quantum Biology” by Jim Khalili ( TV guy?)

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Thanks Diogenesister. I do have Jim's book. I also have "A Guide for the Perplexed" and I downloaded some of his YouTube presentations.

Right at this moment, I am trying to get my head around "The Shape of Life" by Rudolf Raff, but mine eyes glazeth over. I wish I could locate a soft copy (PDF or Kindle).

The Critique I am currently writing has almost reached the first draft stage. It will be some time before I will be comfortable enough to release it widely.

Do you have expertise in the subjects associated with Evolution that could be of assistance to me?

The subject of Quantum mechanics is personally interesting as I had to teach semiconductor theory in the late 1960s and early 1970s, just as things were very fresh and new, with new devices being rolled out (LEDs, SCRs, etc.). Prior to that I was teaching the theory and application of electron tubes (valves).

Doug

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Sea Breeze - "...At some point they just throw their hands up in the air and say like, 'well where else could we go, back to the filthy teachings of Babylon the Great?'..."

A lot of JWs can't seem to get their heads past the idea that they have be somewhere.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Crazyguy,

In my opinion, generally, the term fossil or pertified is used when an author wants to connote vast ages of time and the word: calcification is used to connote a recent process when the object is demonstrably young.

However, It is quite common to get "fossils" containing original organic material...like this "160 million" year old squid ink. They even used some of it to write with a pen.

Article

The creationists own the fossil record. The Cambrian explosion of life showing fully formed animals is opposite of what Darwinism predicts. Many scientists view Darwinism as the religion that supports a atheist worldview. And like other religions, they have their miracles:

1. Getting Something from Nothing. There has never been an observed example where something was created from nothing. No person would attempt to build something without materials, and there is no theory outside Big Bang cosmology which reaches this conclusion without ridicule from the scientific community
    2. Getting Life from Non-Life. Even if naturalistic causes could have created the universe, it would still be necessary for non-living material to become living. This is also an unproven (and impossible) feat which must be accepted when denying the existence of God.
    3. Getting Order from Chaos. Personal observation tells us that all things tend towards disorder, not order. Left to themselves buildings crumble, gardens are taken over by weeds, and living material decays. If unguided natural causes produced the universe (from nothing) and produced life (from non-life) these processes would necessarily go against observed scientific principles in order to produce the complexity, beauty, and order that we observe in the world around us.
    4. Getting the Immaterial from Physical Matter. If nothing was able to produce everything, non-life was able to produce life, and chaos was able to produce order, the atheistic worldview would still encounter an insurmountable obstacle. No matter how organized, it is impossible for physical material to produce the immaterial realities of human consciousness. Our morality, beliefs, desires and preferences all exist outside of mere physical matter.
    5. Complex Information generation like DNA from unintelligent sources

Each of these examples go against the natural order and could be labeled as miracles. Naturalistic worldviews such as atheism, evolution, and neo-Darwinism regard this evidence for God with what Dawkins would certainly consider an unscientific approach: each item must be taken on faith. Or, in other words - miracles.

Miracles such as Infinite Monkey Theory which says that monkeys typing on a typewriter, given enough time will eventually type out a perfect copy of the complete works of William Shakespeare, makes the failed Watchtower predictions that we all used to believe in look tame by comparison.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    it was some lie about all the fossils ever found would fit on a single table.

Just to say, the blue ‘Evolution‘ book stated it was all the human fossils ever found that would fit on a table, if I remember aright. Amazing though, isn’t it, how deeply imbedded that gumpf is entrenched in our head! It’s absolutely heartbreaking at the peak of my mental faculties I was “studying” that tripe.

Westbilly1 Ive heard a lot of negative stuff about ’Darwin’s Doubts’. As far as I know the main thrust of his argument is the lack of an explanation for the Cambrian explosion . However it’s been pointed out in years past that the “explosion” is nothing of the sort and took place over hundreds of millions of years...a time span larger than that between us and the mega fauna we’ve seen on TV. I haven’t read the book, though I intend to.

• cofty
    cofty

Sea Breeze - so many fallacies in one post!

Got to rush now but will get back to you in detail this evening (UK)

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005
    it was some lie about all the fossils ever found would fit on a single table.I

I had never read or heard that kind of rubbish, but then, I've been out for some 42 years. However, I just found two WT quotes that reflect that paraphrasing.

"Just how sparse is the fossil record regarding “ape-men”? Note the following. Newsweek: “‘You could put all the fossils on the top of a single desk,’ said Elwyn Simons of Duke University.”10 The New York Times: “The known fossil remains of man’s ancestors would fit on a billiard table. That makes a poor platform from which to peer into the mists of the last few million years.”11 Science Digest: “The remarkable fact is that all the physical evidence we have for human evolution can still be placed, with room to spare, inside a single coffin! . . . "

*** ce chap. 7 p. 86 par. 9 “Ape-Men”—What Were They? *** 1985

"Fact: At the beginning of the 20th century, all the fossils that were used to support the theory that humans and apes evolved from a common ancestor could fit on a billiard table. Since then, the number of fossils used to support that theory has increased. Now it is claimed that they would fill a railroad boxcar.38 However, the vast majority of those fossils consist only of single bones and isolated teeth. Complete skulls—let alone complete skeletons—are rare.39"

*** lf question 4 p. 27 Has All Life Descended From a Common Ancestor? *** 2010

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

This is how sparse the fossil record is re 'Ape-Men', lol ...

Turkana Boy.jpg

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit