What The Fossils Say

by cofty 78 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

EQV - It is as well established and uncontroversial a statement as the fact that the earth is not flat.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Fink - Evolution does not in any way negate the possibility of an omnipotent supernatural being.

Yes I would agree, philosophically speaking the entire universe is the grand creator

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

I do not see evolution as "progressive" or "intelligent". When conditions changed, selection from the numerous random mutations enabled life forms to adapt to the changed conditions.

There have been several mass extinctions, in which life could have been extinguished were it not for the selection made from the random mutations. About 99% of life forms that have existed have been exterminated.

Life remained stable during the periods between the mass extinctions

Evolution is not aimed at humans. We are the very recent latecomers, a twig on one of the many branches of the Tree of Life. This is a multi-branched bush of: bacteria, archaea, and eukarya. The Tree of life is not a ladder.

Doug

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Pakicetus depiction

We all have the same evidence. This is one of Cofty's "favorite" examples of "the riches of evolution" .... a supposed transitional fossil into a whale.

By the way, this is an evolutionist drawing of the bones with muscle and skin on them, not from a creationist.

This is really your favorite example? That's the best you got? The fossils are speaking, are you listening to them or someone else?

I'm sorry Cofty, it will take more "evidence" than this to convince me of Darwinian evolution. Got anything else?

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Sea Breeze,

Evolution has built on the legacy left by Darwin. Wallace, Lamarck and so many others. Darwin's "gradualism" is giving way to punctuated equilibria and do not forget the influential quantum mechanics. Evolutionary action takes place at the subatomic level where conventional physics no longer applies. I had to teach semiconductor theory in the 1960s and 1970s, where quantum mechanics holds sway.

I am absolutely astonished beyond belief that in a supposedly scientifically advanced country that USA claims to be, that some are mired in superstitious mysticism. It's interesting to see it from a distance, but it is so sad. How is it possible that those ancient peoples such as the Hebrews, Egyptians, Assyrians, etc., could know more than we do with the tools at our disposal?

Doug

• krismalone
    krismalone

Westiebilly,

I appreciate your honesty. What convinced me of evolution is that 99% of all animal species to ever walk the earth have disappeared. So where did the current animal species come from? Did God have to refill the earth and create new animals? Why did they disappear if the planet was designed to sustain life?

What about the viruses and bacteria that develop resistance to antibiotics? That's evolution in action. If you believe in creation, you have to believe that Noah brought cockroaches, flies and mosquitoes to the ark (just to mention a few pest that torment humans).

There are remains in the human body that points to evolution. Such as wisdom teeth, tailbone, appendix and goosebumps that serve no purpose for the current human species yet it helped our ancestors to survive millions of years ago.

The universe is indifferent and we will all eventually die. Planets, galaxies and stars die. Why should we expect anything different from humankind?

Let's enjoy the very short journey of life and love our friends and family.

• shepherdless
    shepherdless

Sea breeze, by chance, the following cartoon specifically deals with the evolution of whales in considerable detail:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIEoO5KdPvg

• Doug Mason
  • cofty
    cofty

Sea Breeze - obviously you haven't bothered to do any research.

The evidence for the evolution for cetaceans is not one single intermediate species, it is a whole sequence all found in layers in the same geographical area in Pakistan. You can actually see the migration of the nostrils from the front of the face to the top of the head. Many other features such as olfactory genes and remnants of a pelvis also show the terrestrial origins of cetaceans.

But cetaceans are only one of many examples of evolution described by Prothero in the book/video.

Even if we didn't have a wealth of fossils - even if we didn't have a single fossil - the most compelling proof for evolution is contained in DNA.

Evolution is a Fact - ignorance is a choice.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze
    Evolutionary action takes place at the subatomic level where conventional physics no longer applies.

Doug,

This is a similar statement to one Richard Dawkins made:

“Evolution has been observed, it’s just that it hasn’t been observed while it’s happening.”1

So do evolutionists believe it because they see it; or do they see it because they believe it?

Unable to provide observational evidence for evolution, the atheist-founded-and-operated (anti-creationist lobbying group) National Center for Science Education (NCSE) tried to circumvent the problem in a different way by stating:

The failure of many students to understand and accept the fact of evolution is often a consequence of the naïve views they hold of the nature of science … . According to this naïve view, the key to the unique success of science at producing true knowledge is “The Scientific Method”, which, on the standard account, involves formulating hypotheses, making predictions, and then going into the laboratory to perform the crucial experiment. … In contrast, the work of many evolutionary biologists involves the reconstruction of the past. The methods they use do not conform to the standard view of “The Scientific Method”. (Emphasis mine)

So according to the NCSE, if you can’t actually prove your theory using controlled experiments, what do you do? Simply declare that only ‘naïve’ people think that the scientific method has anything to do with ‘science’! Incredible.

Calling thinking people naive or ignorant should be a huge red flag for most people.

Also, Natural Selection is a part of the Creation Model. It produces fairly rapid change within kinds.

The very term "SELECTION" should put people on their guard. The word ‘selection’, in our common, daily experience, pre-supposes selecting from something pre-existing. Think of being asked to select cards from a deck of playing cards. You could select cards from a pack every second for the rest of your life and all you would only ever produce is different groups of the same cards. Some more useful than others in a game of poker for instance.

You would not have created anything new—only re-arranged cards.... no new cards.

If an illusionist asks you to select a card from a pack, and surprises you with something new like a rabbit, you know it is an illusion, a sleight of hand.

Selection is always from a pre-existing series or range; it creates nothing new.

What convinced me of evolution is that 99% of all animal species to ever walk the earth have disappeared. So where did the current animal species come from? Did God have to refill the earth and create new animals?

Kris Malone,

I appreciate your bringing this up. This observation is exactly what one would expect in a decaying, fallen, world. Tremendous amounts of information and species being lost. However, evolution claims just the opposite.... the creation of new species and information.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit