What The Fossils Say

by cofty 78 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze
    If evolution is not true, do you want me to go to the outback of my country and accept the myths of the Australian Aboriginals? Were the ancient Egyptians correct? Or the Romans? Or the Indians? You open a veritable Pandora's Box if you wanted to accept supernatural mysticism. I live in a country that is proud of its scientific achievements.
    Doug,

This is the exact argument that my family members used when I presented them with the demonstrably false claims of the Watchtower. At some point they just throw their hands up in the air and say like, "well where else could we go, back to the filthy teachings of Babylon the Great"?

A lot of JW's know there are giant holes in their theology, but they just can't bring themselves to separate from it. After all there is really nothing else right?

Geneticist Richard Lewontin sums up a priori thinking well:

"Our willingness to accept scientific claims that are against common sense is the key to an understanding of the real struggle between science and the supernatural. We take the side of science in spite of the patent absurdity of some of its constructs, in spite of its failure to fulfill many of its extravagant promises of health and life, in spite of the tolerance of the scientific community for unsubstantiated just-so stories, because we have a prior commitment, a commitment to materialism.

It is not that the methods and institutions of science somehow compel us to accept a material explanation of the phenomenal world, but, on the contrary, that we are forced by our a priori adherence to material causes to create an apparatus of investigation and a set of concepts that produce material explanations, no matter how counter-intuitive, no matter how mystifying to the uninitiated. Moreover, that materialism is absolute, for we cannot allow a Divine Foot in the door."

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Cofty,

What is this pertrified/fossilized/calcified fossil saying?

Image result for fossilized dinosaur soft tissue

Article

• stillMS
    stillMS

@Sea Breeze - could you please, explain your point of view on the finding you mention?

I'm in no way an expert on evolution, but it seems you yourself are still not sure about the difference about 'pertrified/fossilized/calcified' fossils. I've actually read the article - it doesn't contain any claims that this finding somehow proves the science to be wrong, and religious myths true - please, correct me if I'm missing smth.

• Half banana
    Half banana

Just imagine how chaotic the human world would be if instead of evidence based science we used divine injunctions to determine reality?

It would result in a hierarchy of the richest religions wielding the greatest authority and stamping out science. Be glad that national leaders trust the scientific method unlike creationists.

Creationism originates only in Biblical literalism.

It is manifestly the result of clinging to religious beliefs irrespective of the evidence. Think seriously on this, such dependency on belief attracts the term" fixation" whereby we fail to develop psychologically.

The accurate knowledge of how life has arrived in its present forms in every part of the planet has been satisfactorily explained by analysis of the hard fossil evidence for evolution. The animals can be linked by their genetic variations in a chain called the "phylogeny".

As I asked before; if creationism were true, what are all those trillions of fossils doing in the rocks, the earliest bony creatures convincingly dated to more than half a billion years old-- from which all modern life forms have developed?

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

When you consider the mathematics cumulatively, the extinctions would be closer to 99.9%

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

hooberus,

When you studied evolution, what conclusions did you reach regarding the significance of the homeobox gene?

Which books did you research?

Doug

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

hooberus,

When you studied evolution, what conclusions did you reach regarding the significance of punctuated equilibria?

Which books did you research?

Doug

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

hooberus,

Which of the books on evolution you researched posed the question: "What is life?"?

What conclusions did you arrive at?

What iS Life?

Doug

• Doug Mason
  • Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

THE THREE STRATA OF REALITY

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit