- George Floyd is killed cruelly and callously by Minneapolis Police Officer and fellow night club security officer Derek Chauvin. Chauvin is video recorded with his knee in Floyd's back while Floyd is handcuffed and proned out on the street.
- Black Lives Matter organizes protests in Minneapolis, Baltimore, Philadelphia, Dallas, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York City, etc.
- Protesters call the incident proof of systemic racism and call for the defunding of police departments.
- The media tells us what "defund the police" means, but fails to ask the actual protesters what the mean by it (see MPD150)
- US Congress decides their needs to be police reform and drafts a bill to ban "choke holds".
Here are the facts to date:
There has been no evidence offered that Derek Chauvin Murdered George Floyd because Chauvin is a racist. A callous person who has no business being a police officer? Yes. Racist? No evidence to date. However, the narrative pushed is that this incident was definitely about race.
Major protests are held in the streets of urban centers that have the following in common -
- City and County elected officials are all Democrats
- City and County elected officials are primarily all black
- Police Chiefs/Commissioners are appointed by Democrats and are primarily black
- Most the States that these cities are in have governors that are also Democrats
- Most of these cities' police departments are made up of primarily minority races
Yet the protesters scream "Where is our Federal government is all this?" Fingers are pointed at the President and the majority Republican Senate.
State criminal laws fall under the 10th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, often referred to as "States' Rights". The enforcement of State law is the responsibility of State and local law enforcement agencies. Laws and policies for the day-to-day operation of State and local law enforcement are set by:
- State Legislature
- County and City Councils
So taking this from the top...
A man is Murdered in Minneapolis, Minnesota by a Minneapolis Police Officers. The City of Minneapolis and the State of Minnesota has been governed by Democrats for decades. The State of Minnesota and the City Council of Minneapolis is responsible for the hiring of police officers and setting police policy. However, this mess needs to be fixed by the Federal government.
In addition, the media tells us that "Defund the Police" means reallocate tax funds from police departments to social services while protesters and their organizers tell us "Defund the Police means 'Abolish all enforcement of laws'."