What novels would you recommend?

by LoveUniHateExams 43 Replies latest social entertainment

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

@TonusOH - ah, right.

I know what you're talking about.

The last chapter of my copy of Salem's Lot has this little story as its final chapter.

It's set in the 1700s, from what I remember, and is done in the form of letters between two people. I always felt this last chapter didn't fit too well with the rest of the novel, lol.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

TonusOH - yes, that other short story is also at the end, called One More For The Road.

'... somewhere out there, that little girl is still looking for her goodnight kiss' - or something like that.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

Yep, those are the ones. So I guess he did intend them to be canon. :)

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

@TonusOH

Have you read Salem's Lot?

What did you think of it?

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

Currently reading:

American Gods by Neil Gaiman

Queued:

The Trial by Franz Kafka (many parallels with the way JW elder meetings are conducted)

Brothers Karamazov by Dostoyevsky

Ana Karenina by Tolstoy

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Currently reading;

Tom Clancy's Executive Orders. Huge novel, lol.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Metamorphosis - Kafka

Uncertain Midnight - Edmund Cooper

Colditz - PR Reid

I'm a bit bored with novels because they all seem a formulaic. IE. Character has a problem. Problem getting solved. Then it all goes wrong. Finally the character triumphs.....or in the case of horror stories, everyone dies at the end. So tedious.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

I read Salem's Lot several years ago. I recall that I liked it, but I'd have to reread it to remember if there was anything that stood out, good or bad. I might have it on my Kindle, so maybe it's worth a re-read...

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

@TonusOH - a vampire novel (or at least a novel with a vampire in it) that I strongly recommend is Let The Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist. I love the film, too. The novel is particularly dark but it's fantastic. Some passages are difficult to read, but at its core it is a love story between a bullied 12 year old kid and a 200 year old vampire who looks like a girl.

• Queequeg
    Queequeg

Try the semi-autobiographical novel by Sodof Baldric.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit