What novels would you recommend?

by LoveUniHateExams 43 Replies latest social entertainment

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I am very picky when it comes to movies made from books - I can be picky, too, although there are lots of good movies that came from novels, e.g. Psycho, Rosemary's Baby, The Exorcist, The Godfather, Jaws, One Flew Over The Cookoo's Nest, Bladerunner, Let The Right One In, The Martian, etc.

Re Dune - I think the concepts are great. Even the Islamic influence is something I find interesting. I picked up a copy and saw in the glossary that Frank Herbert used real Arabic words, or Anglicisms which he invented. For instance, 'portygalls' means oranges, and this doubtless comes from the Arabic burtuqaal, which means the same.

It's a shame Lynch's film was so poor, because I like his other films.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

@TD

TBH, I'm not particularly interested in 'high brow' books, or even the idea of dividing them into high brow and low brow.

As long as the author comes up with a solid plot, writes engaging characters, and has interesting ideas, I'm in.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Off the top of my head, here are some novels I had to throw away when I moved house

Frankenstein (Mary Shelley)

Dracula (Bram Stoker)

It (Stephen King)

A Time To Kill (John Grisham)

Jurassic Park (Michael Crichton)

The Silence of the Lambs (Thomas Harris)

Last Rituals (Yrsa Sigurdardottir)

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I've just started reading Thrillers by Linwood Barclay, very good , if you like a good Thriller. His first and latest Books are exceptional, the ones in between are excellent. There is a trilogy,obviously you will need all three, they run one in to the other. The first one comes to no sort of conclusion, you need volume 2 to hand !

• Biahi
    Biahi

I recommend The Jungle by Upton Sinclair, and The Handmaids Tale by Margaret Atwood. 2 of my personal favorites.

• TD
    TD

As long as the author comes up with a solid plot, writes engaging characters, and has interesting ideas, I'm in.

Ich auch.

Some books go on to become classics because they define an entire genre or because of social and political themes subtly woven into the story, or because of the author's exceptional skill. That's all I meant by "high brow"

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

@TD

Perhaps some 'lowbrow' novels can become classics if they're written well enough.

For instance, I'm not sure if Salem's Lot and Let The Right One In are lowbrow or highbrow, but in my opinion they're better than Dracula, even though that book is regarded as a classic which pretty much started the vampire genre.

Salem's Lot brings vampires into modern times, and LTROI is an excellent take on child vampires. Having child vampires is nothing new but I don't think it's ever been done as well as it is in LTROI.

• TD
    TD

I just realized I had used a double negative, which probably muddled what I was trying to say. The books I recommended aren't on par with Dickens or Austen and won't be remembered that way, but (IMO) are more enjoyable nonetheless.

I'm a fan of King, but haven't read Salem's Lot yet. --Will definitely give it a go.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

@TD

I haven't read many Stephen King novels - I got about halfway through It before I got rid of it, and the same with Rose Madder before I returned it to the library.

But I can genuinely say that Salem's Lot is a great novel. It's populated with interesting characters and it's one of those books you can just get lost in. 👍

• JeffT
    JeffT

The books I recommended aren't on par with Dickens or Austen

I got in trouble in a college English lit class for saying I thought Jane Austen was boring.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit