Can Jehovah's Witnesses explain the overlapping generation?

by pistolpete 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

It is valid. But not liked. It takes the tension and focus and anticipation away from length of generation part of the prophecy. It is disappointing for older ones and for ones waiting for immediate pending relief but to new ones coming in and young ones that are into being involved, the explanation is not unacceptable or out of the ordinary.

Sounds more like an excuse to keep extending. Also, like when one thought he completed a task and and an inspector points reasons needed to keep working and go back to correct. That is what it feels like to people but nevertheless it is the only valid explanation given that the great tribulation will come using the year 1914 as a limit to the countdown. “Heaven and earth will pass away but my words will by no means pass away.” So it doesn’t depend on whether meaning makes sense but on the certainty of the prophecy—again based on circa 1914 generation being “the time of the end.”

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Fedup

That explains how I am a revolutionary war minute man, mtn. man, civil war vet, and cowboy. Here I thought it was my imagination.

• waton
    waton
    based on circa 1914 generation being “the time of the end.” fm
    that prophecy ot wt inc has been proved in several ways to be a false one.
    why still trying to play variations on that old tune? generations of overlapping wt writers do not have the guts to take a fresh look at what really is of substance in the whole bible & tract enterprise. tragic at traction.
  • Overrated
    Overrated

The average JW can not explain it or even understand it themselves. They will direct you to their website for more confusion and bullshit.

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

Does this mean I'm my own grandpa?

Indeed!

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

One of their big problems is confusing the word generation with lifespan.

1914 to 1994 would be an 80 year lifespan. People started to get antsy.

But the word generation was always used to describe a group of contemporaries in modern parlance. Hence: the Greatest Generation, the Baby Boom Generation, Generation X, etc.

Suddenly, WT decided to use that, in a sense, updated, definition of the word. A group of contemporaries overlapping in age. Yes, you could be born anytime between 1946 and 1964 and still be part of the Baby Boom Generation, even though individuals could have as much as 18 years in age between them.

But, they bastardized this to mean some gobbledygook wherein a grandfather is an overlapping generation with a grandson and the lengths of their separate lifespans added up to something they called an "overlapping generation." This is a completely made up idea. It's a made up word with a made up usage. Of course it's incomprehensible: it's an idea that doesn't actually exist in reality.

Demerits for misuse of the English language.

I award no points and may God have mercy on your soul.

• waton
    waton

wt writer conflated contemporaries, groups and generation into their post-1914 era amalgam.

to declare the anointed to be the only ones that count in the mass of humanity that lives since then, is their real mistake. because

Jesus said that the generation in question would pass away only after the end. after all has occurred. however,

wt writers maintain that the anointed will pass away way earlier, --to be battle ready for their role in Armageddon, ----pass heavenward at the onset of the great tribulation.

They are discussing "Samson" right now, It will not take that much power to collapse their wt temple ( way of worship). Their doctrines have such serious build in flaws, that just as a deck of cards, it is already wobbly.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

''The average JW can not explain it or even understand it themselves. They will direct you to their website for more confusion and bullshit''

LOL, yeah I know, that's all they do.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I can explain it.

"Watchtower was never wrong- EVER! So when time ran out on the generation of 1914, "apparently" Jesus must have meant that 'this generation' meant something other than the normal definition. Watchtower decided it meant an overlapping generation. See? They still are not wrong."

• Gman2001
    Gman2001

They know it cannot be explained.....biblical foolishness

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit