Can Jehovah's Witnesses explain the overlapping generation?

by pistolpete 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

The Overlapping Generation teaching , is nothing more than an excuse to try to explain away the failed expectation beleif that was taught for decades ,that the generation that saw events in 1914 would not pass away in death before the new System had arrived.

And of course they all did .

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

No! they can't explain why shit happens, so, why would they be able to explain something so complicated as the BS the the org sends to them via email

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I know very few JW's who could have explained the original doctrine of "this generation" and explained how JW's arrive at 1914 as the start of the Last Days Times, time, and half a time and 2520 years from a year for a day and all that mumbo jumbo.

Do ya see that BS in an recent publications? Or, on JW(dot)Borg? NO! They simply state that 1914 was the beginning of the Gentile Times and of the prophesied Last Days. Yeah, dumbass, it's simply a matter of record.

JW's used to call at the doors with THREE scriptures and a 192-page book for a Bible Study.

Then 32-page brochures took over more-or-less (less cost to print).

Then 1 or 4 page tracts. (Remember the "Kingdom News" series?)

NOW JW's CARRY A BUSINESS CARD STATING GO TO JW(DOT)bORG. And thanks to Covid, they just mail it in the mail randomly and anonymously. (But evidently sometimes they draw pretty shit on the envelope.)

• mickbobcat
    mickbobcat

Here is the thing. The overlapping Gen BS is just that a load of horse shit. Anyone with a reasoning brain can see this is crap. One has to suspend belief and reason to even pretend to believe in this garbage. Since the 70s I was saying the cult can not go past the 90s or so before the "generation that saw all these things will not pass away" was seen as a lie and failed. So what did the cult do? A bull shit maneuver saying that there is some over lapping generation and the younger JWs will not think much of it and the older ones will have so much invested over the years they just buy one more lie. Its sick twisted and shit on a stick.

• Ding
    Ding

David Spane couldn't explain it coherently because it is nonsense, so how could the ordinary JW?

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

I think their would have been a mass Exodus when time ran out on the 1914 generation If 911 didn't occur. Myself included. If the great depression and WW2 didn't occur, The watchtower would have faded out of existence after 1925 Failed prophecy. Now we have the pandemic. There's always something terrible going on the world to keep an end times religion afloat.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

There's always something terrible going on the world to keep an end times religion afloat.

Yep!

WW 1

Great Depression

WW 2

Since things were going along pretty well in the 1960's, in 1966 Freddy F. concocted the 1975 doctrine.

9/11

End of the Millennium/20th Century

Covid-19 is the new sign of The End. (At least for now.)

• St George of England
    St George of England

Many JW's could probably RECITE it which is very different from EXPLAINING it.

The same is true of most doctrines.

George

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

How do most Jehovah's Witnesses explain the Overlapping Generation?

Let me see if I can meet the challenge to Splane an "Overlapping Generation" in true WT manner even though I am not PIMI any longer.

If someone is born before the death of an older person and they know that older person then they are contemporaries and therefore part of THAT older persons generation. So because my great-grandfather was born before HIS father died and he knew his father they are the same generation. My grandfather was born before HIS father died, and even though he did not know HIS grand-father he was part of HIS father's generation, so he was also part of his grandfather's generation. Now here is where it gets a little tricky! My father was born before HIS father died and knew him well. That means my father was part of HIS great-grandfather's generation. I was born before my father died and that makes ME a part of the same generation my father is. Now remember my father was part of the generation of HIS great-grandfather. So that makes ME a part of the generation of my great-great-grandfather.

How did I do?

• Ding
    Ding

FedUpJW,

Does this mean I'm my own grandpa?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit