Poll - Will you accept blood?

by OrphanCrow 75 Replies latest watchtower medical

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Listener: Overall it took a few months to feel 100% and I could have prevented the trauma I faced in those months if I had accepted the transfusion.

This is key, Listener.

The WT likes to boast about how blood isn't necessary, about how the odd patient here and there had such a low blood count and still survived...blah, blah, blah. And about how "patients who don't take blood do better than those who have blood".

What is often overlooked with these seemingly miraculous survivals without blood is the increased morbidity that happens when someone has low blood count. The recovery time on some of these patients is long, hard, and often results in permanent damage of some kind. I have heard accounts of patients who survived without blood but were left with permanent disabilities like limited hand use, etc.

This is something that is not accounted for in those apparently evidence based studies that float around to support the notion that "no blood is better". Those studies have all been conducted on in-hospital patients and people like you, Listener, never make it into the medical literature. Once a patient is discharged, they no longer show up in the data that is used for those studies. So, as a result, the studies will show that no blood is better....but that is just for as long as you are still a patient. There have been no long term effects considered and, as far as I know, there are no studies done on JW patients after they have been discharged as to the long term effects of being oxygen deprived for a period of time.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i had a stent inserted into an aorta last year. ive no idea if i was given blood. its of no relevance to me.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

@OC - Thanks for the links. I even read the wrong one, lol. I'll check out the new one you posted.

@Doubting Bro- Good for you! That card really is a symbol of their control over your individual decision. Nice point. I remember shredding ours. We each did our own and it was freeing.

• kpop
    kpop

I'm still technically an active publisher in my congo but I have already shredded my advanced directive and blood card. I will take blood.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Doubting Bro: One of the more emotional symbolic things I did while waking up was rip up my executed Advance Medical Directive....It was quite therapeutic to destroy that symbol of control over my individual decisions.

That act is probably the most freeing thing a person can do when they leave the JWs faith.

It is more than a symbolic gesture - it is a real, effective way to take action on taking your life back and making it your own. That card is more than a symbol - it is an actuality of the WT's control, not only over your mind, but over your body and your life itself.

What's next? Well...how about blood donor time? Save somebody else's life in a real, tangible way. Not by offering them promises of a life forever in some imaginary, perceived paradise, but in this world here and now. Save a life, please. Save your own life, and save somebody else's too.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    dubstepped: ... I even read the wrong one, lol.

The "wrong" one wasn't really wrong - I wanted to post that one but I had posted it twice instead of the one about Shander and Seeber.

I'll check out the new one you posted.

Enjoy! :)

• Richard Oliver
    Richard Oliver

Orphan Crow:

In a earlier post did you say that Bloodless surgery is when a patient is anemic?

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

No.

I didn't say that. You did.

Of course, though, when a patient has had their blood drained (ANH) and replaced with a volume expander, they would naturally be considered "anemic"

Once their body was "bloodless", I suppose anemic would be a correct term to use

• AverageJoe1
    AverageJoe1

Obviously there is nothing as safe as your own blood or non-blood alternatives in surgery where that's an option so I would go for those options, even having my own blood stored pre-op; after all it is mine and it hasn't been "poured out on the ground" as the WTS would have us believe, but rather has been siphoned into storage!

Then there's cases like Leucemia where nothing short of a complete transplant would be needed to try and safe your life. I'd go for it in that case (even if it wasn't guaranteed to safe my life.)

• Richard Oliver
    Richard Oliver

Orpan crow. I was not trying to accuse you of anything I wanted to get it clarified because you said:

I have said this before but I want to say it again...for emphasis :wink:

Bloodless surgery does not mean that no blood is used in the surgery.

"Bloodless" means that the patient is bloodless - the patient's body has less blood in it than it should have. The patient's body is bloodless. Up to 80% of their blood is removed -a bloodless patient.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit