Poll - Will you accept blood?

by OrphanCrow 75 Replies latest watchtower medical

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    dubstepped: Does every thread have to devolve into Richard Oliver's diarrhea of the keyboard where he just types and types and takes it away from the topic into mind-numbing arguments over semantics and minor details?

It appears so, doesn't it? Swamp us with tech jargon that even he doesn't understand.

Let's see if I can simplify things...or maybe make it more complicated. I hope not.

There is patient blood management and there is blood management and then there is blood conservation.

When you hear those terms together - patient blood management - what is being managed is the patient's own blood. Methods are used such that the patient's blood is removed, filtered, and then re-infused back into the patient. Or, the patient's blood is salvaged, filtered, and then re-infused back into the patient. Another BSM (blood saving measure) that can be used is EPO treatment (very costly and in most countries, EPO is made from human blood).

Bloodless surgery is essential for patient blood management, but the procedure can, and is, used in conjunction with allogenic blood (as long as you aren't a JW - bloodless surgery patients do get a blood transfusion if they consent to blood and it is required).

Bloodless surgery is always used for open heart surgery - hemodilution was the method developed to make open heart surgery possible and it is used for all patients requiring open heart surgery. But that does not mean that the patient doesn't get blood - it means that the surgical field is bloodless because of the patient's blood being diluted. That is why it was developed - to make it possible to operate on the heart in a bloodless zone.

What happened with that bloodless method was that the WT (HLC) pushed medical doctors to use that same procedure on patients that did not require it. They made them use that method for procedures that did not require that bloodless field. Surgeries, like bowel obstructions in infants etc, which did not require the patient's blood to be drained and diluted, became standard practice for all JW surgeries.

Then there is blood management and blood conservation. This is somewhat different than patient blood management. These practices are common in hospitals - they are practices that reduce the need for allogenic blood but they are not necessarily bloodless surgery - they are just good practice which doctors and hospitals practice on everyone. Reducing the need for allogenic blood transfusions does not mean eliminating them. Patient blood management eliminates the use of allogenic blood. Blood management doesn't necessarily focus on only using the patient's own blood - it just is the adoption of good medical practice and procedures that reduce the need for allogenic blood.

Blood conservation and blood management do not necessarily rely on bloodless surgical methods but patient blood management does.

It is important to know that "bloodless" refers to the bloodless surgical field. It does NOT mean that blood isn't used.

talesin: Bless you, my sister! (If you don't mind me calling you sister, in a very real-world way.)

Haha! Bless you too talesin!

• Berengaria
  • dubstepped
    dubstepped

@Fisherman - If you bothered to read the thread rather than to take up for your dub buddy you'd see that I've already been active on this topic, certainly more than you. Nice try though.

• azor
    azor

Just a side note. There is no such thing as bloodless treatment for leukemia. So f off RO. My son would not be here today if it wasn't for blood transfusions.

• just fine
    just fine

I lost a lot of blood during my surgery. The Dr said lets wait a day and check your hemoglobin levels to see if you need a transfusion. We waited a day and my hemoglobin levels rebounded, so I didn't get a transfusion. Drs don't automatically give transfusions, or push them if they aren't needed.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

If you bothered to read the thread rather than to take up for your dub buddy you'd see that I've already been active on this topic, certainly more than you. Nice try though.

I did read his post. OC replied to it after my post.I am just saying that instead of making remarks about someone, anyone, debunk what that person is saying. Making offensive remark about him or his post do not invalidate what he says. That is it. And whether or not it is true that we are JW or JW buddies has no relevance with the subject matter being discussed. I am interested in facts. Let me make up my own mind.Facts are clear, they have no color.

Please lets get back to the topic.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped
    Let's do just that Fisherman. How did you respond to the poll? How about your dub-buddy? You're both ex-JWs right? Go ahead and discuss the topic at hand and answer OC's question. We're all interested in the facts. Share them as they relate to you.
  • Fisherman
    Fisherman

dub, I am not required to reply. I can only listen if I want.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Lol, what a chickenshit reply. You wanted to return to the topic. Here's your chance to share. What a joke.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Berengaria: Hello OC, here is my own experience from a few years ago...

What an experience to go through. I didn't read all of the thread but this is a critical point:

"So odd, my first reaction to the suggestion of a transfusion was automatically NO."

This is what is problematic for exJWs - the indoctrination runs so so deep that it is important to research and make decisions about the use of blood before it becomes necessary.

I am glad that you took the blood and yes...it sure makes you feel great when it starts running into your veins, doesn't it? When I required blood, I remember looking up at that bag of blood above me and thanking whoever the stranger was that took the time to donate their blood so I could live. It was a profound experience to know that somebody cared and that they cared about me, somebody they didn't even know. I cried as their blood dripped down the tube and into my veins.

The bottom line is this - regardless of all the technology and drugs/products that the WT promotes as the "golden standard of care", there are simply some situations where a blood transfusion is the only option to stay alive. Right, Azor?

Justfine: Drs don't automatically give transfusions, or push them if they aren't needed.

Exactly. That whole thing about doctors forcing blood on people that isn't needed and using blood indiscriminately is just a Watchtower myth.

A myth that is dangerous and should be debunked at every opportunity.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit