Poll - Will you accept blood?

by OrphanCrow 75 Replies latest watchtower medical

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

I have made a poll to try to determine the impact of the WT's no blood policy on ex members.

If you are an exJW, please participate.

vote here:

*oops...hang on here...I have to make a new poll...this one lets you vote more than once
    I will post the new one

Here it is...please vote again if you used the first one
  • dubstepped
    dubstepped

I don't think your poll can accurately reflect the impact. For instance, I would accept any blood if it meant my life, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't feel weird or turn away non-essential blood. I honestly don't know what I would do until put in the situation. I'd like to think I'm over that brainwashing, but I've never faced it and haven't done my research on the ins and outs of the options out there. The impact truly goes deeper than simple yes or no. I wonder how people feel after accepting blood too. Just my 2 cents.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

No, it won't accurately reflect the full impact. But it will give an idea of how many exJWs will still refuse blood.

From your reply, you sound like you fall into the middle group of "some" blood.

I wonder how people feel after accepting blood too.

I accepted blood. How did I feel? I felt alive. I would have died without blood and wouldn't be here to answer your question about how I felt.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

I no longer have any interest in such doctrines and I expect neither do many here. Just leave the choices to your doctor.

• Landy
    Landy

If I needed it, yes.

In the same way I would happily accept any other medical treatment that gives me the chance to upset people on here a bit longer.

• just fine
    just fine

I had surgery not long ago, the Dr asked if there were any religious considerations for surgery and I said no.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Actually, I voted that yes I would accept all.

I'm sure you felt alive OC, but not all that take blood or blood products are in a life and death situation. I wonder if some might feel regret after due to brainwashing.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    dubstepped: I wonder if some might feel regret after due to brainwashing.

I would think that guilt would be a factor and it wouldn't surprise if some do feel guilty.

I knew a JW man (now deceased) who was a hemophiliac. When the WT allowed fractions for his condition, he accepted them. However, according to my s-i-l who was a nurse at the hospital, he would ask the staff to put a towel over the bag of blood and cover the lines going into his arm because it upset him so much to see the blood.

• cofty
    cofty

From a medical perspective I would want to have a conversation about how essential the proposed transfusion was. From an ethical point of view I would not hesitate.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Interesting story OC.

I like how Cofty put it. I think that might state my feelings better. Ethically I have no issues. I'd have to take most things on a case by case basis though, I think.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit