My old computer is dead: long live my new CHROMEBOOK

by Terry 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Terry
    Terry
    Wonderful, Terry, but what about your drawing deeply from the writer's inkwell, as pen goes to parchment?

I was born in an analog world, for sure. So many things I've written are now gone forever because the digital world had not come.
    I haven't picked up a pen or pencil in years except to notate a Tip for a meal.

Do I miss the hand-written page?

I confess to not knowing how I feel. I tend to want to leave what is behind behind.

I found an old story I wrote the other day. I liked it. There it was on paper. I stared at it like something of a paleontologist's specimen.

You see, I changed over from cursive to printing my words about the time I went into prison. It was a transitional psychological transformation, I suppose. I became less myself and more literal.

• under the radar
    under the radar

It's sad that some people feel they have to rain on someone else's parade. Maybe it makes them feel superior and a bit smug that they're so much smarter than the other person. I'm talking to you, GodZoo. I seriously doubt you're as smart as Terry, can write anywhere nearly as well, or could have the same wonderful outlook and attitude that he does after all he's been through.

Terry was exulting over a unexpected and loving gift from his son. Maybe his son couldn't afford a more expensive laptop. Doesn't matter. Terry was very pleased with it and promptly put it to good use. Who are you to denigrate the gift and make it seem not so special after all? You should be ashamed of yourself.

• Terry
    Terry

I had an Uncle named John Baker who drove an old Chevy pickup truck for work as a bricklayer. That old truck had seen better days; sort of like the man who drove it. His wife, my Aunt Florence, hated the way she looked sitting in that old, battered vehicle. So, she gave her husband an earful each and every time she found herself in the seat next him.
    He'd always agree with her and reply simply, "Okay, sugar baby. Whatever you say, sugar baby. . . "
    My cousin Debbie and I rode in the back of that truck on top of Uncle John's toolbox. It was probably extremely dangerous for two kids to do that--but--those were different times back in the 50's. Our sense of danger was simply different. We never had a mishap and my Uncle John probably never went over 15 mph anyway.
    So one day I was 15 years old and it was my first real job working as a bricklayer's assistant, starting my day at the crack of sunrise, not knowing what manual labor was all about.
    Well, my education in the hot Texas sun for 16 hours a day soon clued me in! I got sunburned and my sunburn got sunburned. I also sustained a bilateral, inguinal hernia, but I made it through 6 day-in-a-row job and got paid $10 in cash for my efforts.
    My Uncle's hand was like the bark of a dead tree as it held the wrinkled ten dollar bill out for me to accept.
    "Is that enough? You didn't really have much to do." His pale blue eyes were sincere and he was genuinely concerned that I not feel slighted.
    I remembered what my grandmother told me about him. He had worked through the Great Depression for a dollar a day to keep food on the table and never complained once about it. So, I nodded and thanked him. We had not discussed my rate of pay before hand. He was the most honest person I'd ever known--straight arrow, god-fearing, and loyal to the core.

Lesson learned. We all have different values about things. I recalibrated my sense of personal worth. The sunburn, hernia, long hours and exhaustion did not entitle me to a bag of money from a man who had known nothing in life but strenuous labor.
    _____
    So, this is the part I wanted to get around to telling . . .

I heard my Uncle John arguing one day. This is a man who never raised his voice (except to call his dogs). He was mild-tempered and humble, so it was a bit of a shock. His neighbor was standing nose to nose with Uncle John and the two of them were two kettles at a boil.
    Well, my Aunt Florence came flying out of her house and about knocked the screen door off its hinges as she made her way over to the two surly characters squaring off in her front yard. She broke it up with a few well-chosen words of scolding and the world grew quiet.
    ___
    "What was that all about?" I asked my Aunt a day or two later.

She gave a grunt which was half-amused and half-indignant.

"Mister Draper (the neighbor) had said something insulting about Chevy trucks. He's a Ford kind of guy. John Baker would not abide such language. That's all. They'd have likely killed each other trying to convince one another of something that doesn't amount to bucket of spit."
    That was another moment of education for me.
    John Baker loved his wife and daughter and his Chevy truck. Florence could get away with saying bad things about it for that reason. But nobody else had such privileges of complaint!

_____

People can have very intense feelings about inanimate objects. There is no arguing with them unless you're ready for war.

I'm still a Conscientious Objector at heart, I guess. I came by it honestly.

• trevor
    trevor

Terry, I have watched you over a number of years and read your many inspiring and educational posts.

Glad to see you are happy.

• GodZoo
    GodZoo

Stop being a winer.. you actually know absolutely zero about me. A flaw I have no interest in rectifying. My entire comment is not about Terry so your need to defend 'him' is ridiculous. My comments are merely about technology. After over 25 years in the industry I am used to calling a spade a spade. What do you call a spade? Cherry pie?

Raining on parades? I advise companies and individuals on their spending budgets so am not used to pampering fragile egos when it comes to spending hard earned money on their gear.

A few posts ago Terry was extolling the almost magical virtues of his last machine and a week later it experiences a total melt down. These comments are noting to do with Terry as a human being or his writing skills which make your feeling a need to run to his aid and subsequent comment quite embarrassing. It's just about a choice of and the management of ones tech. Nothing more. Terry is not a 12 year old child that just got a plastic pony for his birthday. He's a grown man.

I highly recommend trying to keep a grip on reality. Life is so much easier that way.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The point you may have missed upon GodZoo that most members here know that Terry is a retired guy on fixed closely regulated income, that if he had deep pockets full of cash he would have sprung for something a bit more expensive to replace the Laptop that had failed.

You might have not known that , so your technically excused for your ignorance.

ie. I can easily afford a $2000.00 Apple MacBook Pro which I purchased recently, I might not be able to when I'm in retirement. ...........get it ?

• under the radar
    under the radar

GodZoo: Terry started this thread to share his joy over the kind, thoughtful, and timely gift his loving son had just given him. So yes, it's entirely about Terry as a human being.

Your unsolicited put-down of the gift was entirely uncalled for. This wasn't a discussion of the merits of various laptop manufacturers. Perhaps you can afford the very best and latest in technology, but that's beside the point. No one asked or cares about your evaluation of the worth of a spontaneous gift from a son to his father.

Whatever the truth is about your self-professed expertise, your unseemly attempt at one-upmanship fairly screams inferiority complex and a need for attention. Why not just take pleasure in someone else's joy and avoid dampening their enthusiasm for no reason? Life is so much easier that way.

• Terry
    Terry

When somebody posts something critical of me, the first thing I do is click on their name and see Topics they have started to get a feel for what is important to them. Then, if I have the time and inclination, I'll read their handling of topics and comments.
    I've satisfied myself of certain things in regard to GodZoo.
    GodZoo is not a hater. I feel like what he says comes from genuine feelings and evaluations. He has an unfettered manner of expression. So be it.
    Is he tactful, courteous, friendly, kind, and self-aware? I cannot judge.
    I don't mind reading his animadversions in the spirit of egalitarian comity.

• under the radar
    under the radar

'nuf said, Terry. I shall say no more to or about GodZoo on this topic.

Congrats again on your new toy and on having a thoughtful son who obviously loves his dad.

Enjoy, my friend.

• JRK
    JRK

Buy a UPS (Uninterruptible power supply).

JK

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit