My old computer is dead: long live my new CHROMEBOOK

by Terry 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Terry
    Terry

I had my previous Toshiba laptop plugged into the wall five days ago when a sudden electric storm drove a jagged bolt of electricity earthward and fried my hard drive.
    I posted my sad status on Facebook. Guess who saw it? My son, Jason.
    Today he invited me to breakfast and showed up at me door with a brand new boxed Chromebook 15.6 inch laptop!

I'm over the moon.
    I'm all about Google drive, Gmail, Google universe and I'm all set up anyway.
    From the moment I opened the box until making this post has elapsed two minutes!

All my settings were ready to go. The battery is fully charged. From "off" to fully ready is 7 seconds.
    Life is good. I love my son!

Enjoy budget computing with this Acer Chromebook 15. The Intel Celeron processor gives you plenty of grunt for all-day use, and the 15.6-inch screen gives you good visuals so that you can enjoy photos, movies and digital content wherever you go. A 16GB hard drive ensures this Acer Chromebook 15 can store your files with ease.

Product Features

Google Chrome OS

Automatically downloads and installs security and software updates, so you don't have to waste your time managing patches and waiting for restarts.

15.6" display

Acer ComfyView technology reduces reflection. Typical 1366 x 768 HD resolution. Energy-efficient LED backlight.

Intel® Celeron® processor 3205U

Entry-level dual-core processor for general e-mail, Internet and productivity tasks.

2GB system memory

Enough high-bandwidth RAM to meet the system requirements and run basic programs, but not many at once.

16GB solid state drive (SSD)

While offering less storage space than a hard drive, a flash-based SSD has no moving parts, resulting in faster start-up times and data access, no noise, and reduced heat production and power draw on the battery.

Intel® HD Graphics

On-processor graphics with shared video memory provide everyday image quality for Internet use, basic photo editing and casual gaming.

Built-in stereo speakers

Provides good audio and volume output without distortion.

Weighs 4.85 lbs. and measures 1" thin

Thin and light design with DVD/CD drive omitted for improved portability. 4-cell lithium-ion battery.

Bluetooth 4.0 interface syncs with compatible devices

Wirelessly transfer photos, music and other media between the laptop and your Bluetooth-enabled cell phone or MP3 player, or connect Bluetooth wireless accessories.

USB 3.0 port maximize the latest high-speed devices

Also include USB 2.0 port to connect more accessories and peripherals. The USB 3.0 port are backward-compatible with USB 2.0 devices (at 2.0 speeds).

HDMI output expands your viewing options

Connect to an HDTV or high-def monitor to set up two screens side by side or just see more of the big picture.

Built-in media reader for simple photo transfer

Supports SD memory card format.

Next-generation wireless connectivity

Connects to your network or hotspots on all current Wi-Fi standards. The Ethernet LAN port also lets you plug into wired networks.

Chrome OS keyboard

Handy one-touch function keys. Fully clickable touchpad with click-anywhere functionality and support for one-finger left click, two-finger right click, and two-finger scrolling.

Built-in HD webcam with microphone

Makes it easy to video chat with family and friends or teleconference with colleagues over Skype or other popular applications.

Note: This Chromebook does not include a built-in DVD/CD drive.

Intel, Pentium, Celeron, Core, Atom, Ultrabook, Intel Inside and the Intel Inside logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries in the United States and other countries.Enjoy budget computing with this Acer Chromebook 15. The Intel Celeron processor gives you plenty of grunt for all-day use, and the 15.6-inch screen gives you good visuals so that you can enjoy photos, movies and digital content wherever you go. A 16GB hard drive ensures this Acer Chromebook 15 can store your files with ease.

2008090330.jpg (600×330)

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Hope you didn't lose any important files.

Yeah, these Chromebooks are what our school system uses for the middle school population. They do the job.

Maybe invest in a surge protector?

• Terry
    Terry

I keep everything on the "cloud" and lost absolutely nothing.
    All my files, setting, documents, photos, preferences, favorites--everything--was instantly ready on my new Chromebook.
    It is a whole new world.
    If I create a file or a photo on any device, it is automatically available on my others.
    I just arrived at Starbucks. It usually takes a minimum of 5 minutes for my old Toshiba to connect with the public network. This time, it took 5 seconds.

Only a 2 weeks ago I switched from Windows 7 to 10 and back again. I have to say, the Google eco-system has it beat by miles. No worries about slowdowns, virus, defrag, etc.
    The sound from my speakers is awesome, too.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Thoughtful gesture from your son, nice enjoy your new laptop.

• Terry
    Terry
    Thank you!
    I'm glad I didn't beat my kids when they were little :)
  • blondie
    blondie

I'm jealous. My laptop is nine years old, updated twice. Time to get a new one....I will look at yours. Let me know how it works.

What about Windows 10

What do you have for a Word product?

• Incognito
    Incognito
    What do you have for a Word product - Blondie

Micorosoft Office 365 is an web subscription, accessible with any device with internet access. MS keep it up-to-date. While Google also have their online word processing and spreadsheet apps, MS Office is a standard.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter
    I am happy you have such a kind son, and the computer is a nice bonus!
  • oppostate
    oppostate
    I'm reading your OP on my HP Chromebook and love if for so many of it's pluses over a Windows laptop. Whenever I need the old clunker Windows 10 (which I've relegated to the basement) for any backed up files I'm reminded of how much I used to suffer Microsoft's constant updates and worries about viruses and malware, system crashes etc. and I'm so glad to be using Chrome OS.
  • Terry
    Terry

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Chromebook-CB5-571-C09S-15-6-Inch-Full/dp/B00T03KQ34

Google docs automatically (upon download) converts to the Microsoft format. The Google version is a clone. I'm sure Microsoft is livid about this.
    So, if I do a spreadsheet in Google format, it becomes Excell upon download.

_________

Immediately noticed these improvements over my Toshiba laptop running Windows 7:

1. Nonglare display. I can sit in Starbucks with a bright window behind me and not suffer glare. Big improvement!

2. This laptop does not have any heat problems. The Toshiba gave me burns on my leg.

3. Shortcut keys (replacing the F-function keys on top) are super handy.

4. Any question I have about what/how to do something is solved by pressing the Search shortcut and asking the question.

5. Chrome update takes 7 seconds! I hate-hate-hated the Windows updates which popped up when I was ready to close up and go--having to wait and not unplug until they were done. (Also, the configuring delay upon startup in the mornings were a nuisance.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8rWHMstb1Y

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit