My old computer is dead: long live my new CHROMEBOOK

by Terry 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Terry
    Terry

Good advice!

Any suggestions?

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride
    using acer chromebook 11" since late 2013, most used computer I have, and I have few of them, beats windows most of the time.
  • compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, Terry, for your reply regarding the old way of doing things.

I was waxing nostalgic for the era that you and I had, at one time, both inhabited. Rarely do I put pen to paper anymore. I inherited a fine hand from Dad, but -- mais alors! -- it has become dextrally painful if pursued at length.

Pecking away at my hand-me-down Dell and Apple laptops suits me fine. I'm happy you have speedy, up-to-the-minute technology now. As a result, you shall become all the more fecund in your output. Not to intimate, however, that you have been a slacker when it comes to flooding the stacks with your MSS.

I had forgotten about animadversions; thanks for the reminder that a two-bit word, however deprecated, is always de rigueur . . .

CoCo

• Terry
    Terry

Coco,

When I first started doing essays in school, I drove the teachers nuts by injecting every possible sesquipedalian artifact of my vocabulary studies into each sentence. Luckily, my instructors' humility gave them a frame of mind to tolerate such hubris.

There was only one lady, my surrogate mom, who encouraged me to communicate with others on THEIR level and not yours. This was a nice way of telling me I was being a Narcissist :)

Using a fluffy vocabulary word in place of an ordinary one is like trying to read Mandarin instructions on how to program your VCR. (How is that for a stale example?:)

I used to purposely read books way over my head which forced me to keep a dictionary handy. I had lists galore stuffed in pockets, on small cards and scraps of paper.

Edgar Allen Poe had quite a sensitive awareness of the texture and resonance, assonance, and dissonance of his word choices. His sentences and that of Ray Bradbury greatly informed my youth's developing tastes.

• compound complex
    compound complex

I used to purposely read books way over my head which forced me to keep a dictionary handy. I had lists galore stuffed in pockets, on small cards and scraps of paper.

How do I relate, Terry! I continue in this practice because I must (old habits die hard, with a vengeance). Kids in school came to me for the new words I coined. No wonder I was always getting beat up! Too, I teach a creative writing class to folks older than you and I. I particularly like odd usages of ordinary words:

1) feeler: a person susceptible to fainting at circus sideshow exhibits

2) domino: a large hooded cloak

3) cartoon: an original pattern for stained glass work

4) came: connecting lead for stained glass pieces

5) dixie: a bilingual ten dollar bill, originating in Louisiana; "dix," French for ten

6) angel: backer for a theatrical production

THANKS!

CoCo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit